“Fabulous riad, fantastic value and superb service” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Anjar
4 Derb Snane | Mouassine, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #107 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous riad, fantastic value and superb service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Our first trip to Marrakech and booked the Riad Ahjar based on trip advisors reviews, my husband and I have not travelled extensively so this was a real assault on the senses! - on arrival we were greeted by wonderful welcoming staff and the owner that took time to talk us through the area and location ( which is perfect!) she recommended places to visit etc, and could not be more helpful.Our trip was only three nights and if we had stayed an extra day would of explored more however the owner suggested coming back with our young children and she would organise excursions in advance for us ( which we are now planning to book!)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

My mother and I enjoyed a lovely stay at the Riad Anjar during the holidays. The staff were so attentive and welcoming, the Riad is impeccably decorated and is in a superb location. Every detail is taken care of, from fresh flowers all over to warm mint tea after a long day of sightseeing. Breakfast was fresh and varied, and one night we enjoyed amazing dinner by the fireplace.
What really made the difference during our stay was the kindness and helpfulness of all the staff. Emanuela went to great lengths to help us plan our adventures in the south and we were welcomed like family when we came back!
It was my first stay in a riad, so I wish I had known that because of the open roof, the areas outside the room can be quite cold in winter. Some blankets around the breakfast/lounge area would help! Also, I think the riad is perfect for couples, so peaceful, romantic and luxurious. But not ideal for sharing with friends as all rooms have double beds and the bathroom curtain doesn't offer much privacy.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, opt for a room upstairs. Because of the open roof, the areas outside the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

If you are looking at Riad Anjar, just book! Everything that was said before is true. Wonderful building and staff for a holiday like a fairy tale from 1001 nights. Emanuela and Paolo and their staff have the philosophy this wonderful Riad should feel like your home and do everything to make you enjoy your holiday. Nice breakfast with variety, and every day fresh fruit and yoghurt. We ate in one evening and got a wonderful Tangia (not a tajine), something you will usually not get in the restaurants as it takes very long to prepare. Perfect location, a little north from the central square so within walking distance from all (maps on tripadvisor, booking.com and google are incorrect for the Medina) nice things to do. Walking to the Jardin Majorelle is 10-15 minutes (this is the furthest north you will go) and to the Royal gardens (furthest south) is also 10-15 minutes. Everything else within the Medina is 5 minutes away, top restaurant Maison MK even less than 1 minute. Disadvantages as mentioned before are minor: Hard to regulate shower temperature and no insulation from noise as the doors to your room are part of a frame that is placed 5cm (2 inches) in front of the wall, leaving a wide gap. Very nice price compared to what is offered. So no need to look at the other 400 Riads!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Princes Risborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Riad Anjar for a week at the beginning of November.

Like others, we had booked to stay at Riad Dar Zahia through Booking.com but didn't have any problems finding Riad Anjar because we had also booked transfers from the airport.

Riad Anjar is brilliant! As soon as you walk through the door it's wonderfully peaceful (a total contrast to the busy streets of Marrakech outside!) The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff are lovely and Emanuela and Paulo are brilliant hosts! They made us feel at home and were always happy to answer any questions we had. They also organised a fantastic day trip into the Atlas Mountains for us.

The breakfasts were great - we particularly enjoyed the mint tea!

The Riad is in a great location - we spent most of our days happily getting lost in the Medina.

We would highly recommend Riad Anjar and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights in September and I'm really upset that it wasn't longer.

Originally we booked the Riad Dar Zahia through Booking.com but when we arrived we were told that we were booked into another Riad, which happened to be this one. It wasn't specified on our booking that the Riad's were different so it took a while to sort out where we were supposed to be staying. The Riad Dar Zahia is amazing - we would definitely want to stay there the next time we come to Marrakech.

However Riad Anjar stunning, a beautiful Riad with clean, comfortable rooms which are traditionally decorated in Moroccan style. On the website it did say we had a TV in the room, but when we arrived there wasn't one. As we were only staying two days we didn't ask why and wasn't offered an explanation. We did have wifi which worked fine in our room.

The main reason we loved this place so much was due to Emanuela - she was fantastic, so helpful and accommodating. She made us feel at home straight away and was always around to recommend places to eat and go to. On our last day she arranged for us to go to a Hammam where we were picked up from the Riad, taken to the Hammam, and then picked up from the Hammam and taken straight to the airport. Our last evening at 4am there was hammering on the front door for quite a while (being woken up at 4am to that isn't too fun, I can assure you) it turned out to be the night watchman wanting to alert us that he thought he saw someone on the roof (there wasn't) but the next morning Emanuela personally saw to each of the guests to make sure they were ok and to apologise for the disturbance - she is a brilliant host.

I would really recommend staying here - it's so quiet in the middle of the madness that is Marrakech. We dined here one night, and it was probably one of the best (if not THE best) meals we had in our entire stay in Morocco - delicious homely Moroccan food. The breakfasts were also equally delicious and filling.

It's a 2 minute walk to the Souks, about a 5 minute walk to the main square (provided you don't get accosted on the way) - brilliant location, the only time we had to get a taxi was when we went to the new part of the city which is about a half hour walk.

This place is a little gem and I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I loved the accommodations. I suspect that Zarah, the manager, is a little untrustworthy as she took our payment put it down her bra and said its time to party. The staff was very kind and attentive, Zarah was unreliable. I would recommend staying here, but make sure you confirm exactly what you want and don't accept service that you don't expect to pay for... That goes for all of Morocco.

• Stayed June 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

We have just got back from a fantastic week in Marrakech staying at Riad Anjar.

I cannot recommend the Riad highly enough. From the moment I booked the stay Zahra (the owner) has been absolutely fantastic.

The holiday was a present for my wife's birthday and Zahra arranged for flowers in our room, a birthday cake and a room upgrade.

When we arrived at the Riad Zahra gave us a map, showed us the places of interest and walked us to the main square so we could find our way back later.

We ate in the Riad on our first night and the food was great. The breakfast was also brilliant and plentiful. Tea was provided free of charge at any time (though we didn't take this offer up).

The only mild criticism I have was that I couldn't pay by credit card as the machine was broken. This meant I had to draw more money out and get stiffed by bank charges. Hopefully this will be fixed soon as I've read of the same problem on previous reviews.

Marrakech is a fantastic place to visit and I would recommend this Riad to everyone. If we return to the city it'll definitely be to this Riad. We will tell our friends and family!!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Riad Anjar? Share your experiences!