“Great place, manager sketchy.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Riad Anjar to your Saves list
Riad Anjar
4 Derb Snane | Mouassine, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #99 of 481 Hotels in Marrakech
“Great place, manager sketchy.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I loved the accommodations. I suspect that Zarah, the manager, is a little untrustworthy as she took our payment put it down her bra and said its time to party. The staff was very kind and attentive, Zarah was unreliable. I would recommend staying here, but make sure you confirm exactly what you want and don't accept service that you don't expect to pay for... That goes for all of Morocco.

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have just got back from a fantastic week in Marrakech staying at Riad Anjar.

I cannot recommend the Riad highly enough. From the moment I booked the stay Zahra (the owner) has been absolutely fantastic.

The holiday was a present for my wife's birthday and Zahra arranged for flowers in our room, a birthday cake and a room upgrade.

When we arrived at the Riad Zahra gave us a map, showed us the places of interest and walked us to the main square so we could find our way back later.

We ate in the Riad on our first night and the food was great. The breakfast was also brilliant and plentiful. Tea was provided free of charge at any time (though we didn't take this offer up).

The only mild criticism I have was that I couldn't pay by credit card as the machine was broken. This meant I had to draw more money out and get stiffed by bank charges. Hopefully this will be fixed soon as I've read of the same problem on previous reviews.

Marrakech is a fantastic place to visit and I would recommend this Riad to everyone. If we return to the city it'll definitely be to this Riad. We will tell our friends and family!!

• Stayed October 2012
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Ideally located at a five minute walk from the souqs and Jemaa el Fna. This riad is an oasis from the bustle of the city. It was our honeymoon, and we were not disapointed with this beautiful place! Warm welcoming staff, delicious breakfasts, comfortable and clean rooms. The decor is beautiful, and the proprietress Zhara, will offer you a meal (very inexpensive) your first night. You should definitely take them up on it, delicious dinner accompanied by much needed advice to newcomers about the ins and outs of what to do and how to get around Marrakech. She even went out of her way to plan a trek for us in the High Atlas with a Berber guide. The staff at Riad Anjar will bend over backwards to ensure your stay is one to remember!
They will also prepare a chauffeur to pick you up from the airport. I can't endorse this beautiful riad enough, they helped make our stay one to remember!

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

When I started looking for a riad to stay in, Zahra the owner responded to emails very quickly. I explained to her that this was my 30th wedding anniversary and wanted it to be good. She said that she would arrange something special so my husband and I went with high hopes. She arranged transport from the airport which was waiting for us and we got to the riad with no problems. On entering the riad we were met by Aziz who was very polite. The place felt like it had been empty for ages. No one else was staying there which really didn't matter to us but the riad had no warmth or homely ness at all. There were nothing fresh around the place, it felt stale and there was lots of dead insects in the pool although this was cleaned within a couple of hours.
In my emails to the owner I had specifically asked for one particular room and was really surprised that this one was locked and we couldn't use it. We were shown all the rest and picked one. We chose the largest one but this didnt really make up for the fact we wanted a room on the first floor with a shower. All the bedrooms were clean. Very good wifi connection.
After we had settled into the room we told Aziz that we were going out. We were given a key and told that if he wasn't in we were welcome to go into the kitchen to get ourselves a drink and shown the kitchen. This is where we were most shocked. The kitchen was dirty, had obviously been used quite a few times and not been cleaned after use. There were rotting vegetables in a rack, bits of bread every where, loads of washing up in the sink and the cooker and work surfaces needed a good clean! We decided not to eat anything there including breakfast but I did drink coffee.
We considered moving to a different riad but decided to stay at riad anjar as we did like the fact that we were on our own, the location was very good and the hassle we would get trying to find somewhere at the last minute and moving our luggage.
The kitchen was given a good clean after our second night.
Perhaps I expected too much. I was looking forward to rose petals in our room, little candles lit in the evening, great breakfasts and a dinner on the roof terrace. The owner wasn't in Morocco at the time I was there so perhaps she doesn't know what it is like when she isn't there, who knows. All I can say is that I was very disappointed with this riad, what i had been promised and i couldn't recommend it. Considering this was in no way the cheapest place to stay, I think it was very over priced.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We felt very welcome at Riad Anjar and the staff looked after us attentively and charmingly. Zahra, the owner, was so helpful arranging a tour for us and telling us which hammam to go to, even taking us there. The breakfasts and nibbles in the evening on the roof terrace were generous and delightful. It all felt very personal and was a lovely place to stay. It is also in a brilliant position for the souks and all the main spots and the area felt safe.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Zahra runs a seamless operation of managing this tasteful riad. It is situated in the heart of the medina, walking distance from Djema el fna and you can literally walk to pray at the Mouassine mosque. The riad is brand new in its fixtures and decor and yet somehow exudes the traditional Moroccan ambience. Rooms are comfortable, bathrooms and amenities are more than adequate and most importantly you feel like you are living in a home around family. Very child friendly, breakfast is like a lavish feast with variety and huge quantity!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

As a first-timer to Marrakesh, we didn't know what to expect and were hopeful that we could rely on the staff at Riad Anjar to orient and acclimate us (and suggest a couple of good restaurants and hammams). We were not disappointed and impeccable service came in the form of the always charming Nour-Eddine.

From the moment we entered the Riad to the moment we (reluctantly) left, Nour-Eddine provided us with everything we needed to enjoy Marrakesh to the fullest. In addition to serving a delicious, massive breakfast each morning, Nour-Eddie was happy to recommend and book for us restaurants, hammam services, car rentals, taxis - anything we asked for.

In addition to service, Riad Anjar is a very beautiful riad as well. Well-designed decor in the main courtyard as well as in the rooms. The rooftop deck is a relaxing, enjoyable place to eat breakfast in the mornings as well, weather permitting.

Location is ideal as the souks and main market are a close walk away and the Riad is tucked away down a quieter alley off a louder, busier road.

• Stayed April 2012