“Perfect place to find rest amid Marrakech's noisy centre” 4 of 5 stars

You added Domaine Le Relais de Marrakech to your Saves list
Domaine Le Relais de Marrakech
Palmeraie, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #350 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
“Perfect place to find rest amid Marrakech's noisy centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Relais de Marrakech is that typical place where you don't expect the perfect place (the roadsigns leading to the camping are very limited), yet where you find your very own Moroccan fata morgana. The pool is very nice, surrounded by green foliage and excellent beds to relax. The restaurant offers a typical Moroccan menu, as well as some international dishes (pasta, pizza, etc.) and alcohol, which is not to be found a lot in Morocco. It has splendid tents for hire, which are fully equipped (though we took the camping). Sanitation is proper, the owner is friendly and even washes your laundry for (if I remember correctly) free. Recommended for sure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed in Le relais de Marrakech for some nights during our visit in Marrakech and were very satisfied. The garden is well maintained, the swimming pool is refreshing and beautiful and we liked our nomade style tent. The staff was very friendly and it was no problem to get transport in to the city. I read some negative things about the restaurant but we were very satisfied. The food was maybe a little more expensive than one of the very cheap places in the center, but the portions were big and good. We would definitely come again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We have just returned to Ireland following a years trip around Europe and North Africa in our campervan. We liked this place so much that we returned here a second time on our trip and recommended it to friends who came to Marrakech for a short trip and stayed with us at Le Relais in the Kasbah while we were in stayed at one of the campervan sites. The array of different accomodation here is excellent and suits all types of travellers. The grounds are beautifully kept and really pretty. We found this to be the best campsite we stayed in during our entire 2.5 months travelling around Morocco. Facilities are excellent and very clean, with a lovely pool area. We were able to rent a car easily for a day trip and the staff arranged for the car to be delivered to and collected from the campsite for a very reasonable price. The campsite is a little far away from shops etc. but the restaurant is very good and the Marjane supermarket is a short/cheap taxi drive away, there is also a small shop just outside the campsite who are able to provide the basics, such as fresh bread, eggs, milk, water, ciggies etc, the man that runs this shop is also very accomodating and will go and get any extras that you might need such as veg and herbs if you ask him. We found the staff and management to be very friendly and our friends were upgraded to two rooms instead of one with no extra charge. The pricing is fair. Altogether we found Le Relais de Marrakech to be an excellent base for visiting the wonderful city of Marrakech.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I went with a friend we booked it before and it was really difficult for us to find it . The place is beautifull the garden and pool are really cared and the rooms are ok. Suggestion when a hotel is not full is always nice to upgrade and give better rooms ti guests since they'll be happy and write better reviews. The staff was nice but not outstanding as to remember.

• Stayed November 2012
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

when you arrive in this place the gardens are really impressive and it s so charming. i ve liked the sympathetic welcome and the very good food. this is a really nice place

Room Tip: i recommand the african house
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

We arrived late to the campsite on 13/07/2010 and was greeted my the very lovely Mohammed, the night guardian. We set up the tent and thought we had landed in paradise... nice pool, jacuzzi and lush greenness. Along with Mohammed, there is a really nice, helpful girl who was there at breakfast, ready with coffee and a smile.

We were the only people there in a tent... all the other customers had there own campervans or were staying in the permanent tents on site. As we only had a tent we relied a lot on the on-site facilities, ie. the cafe/restaurant, spending a lot of money, as just a bottle of water cost 20DH = £1.50. It was so hot in the tent, as there is no shade provided, that we had to buy everything on site, where as those with vans had there own food supply and fridges (essential in Morocco!).

There are 2 French women working in the camping who were incredibly rude. One complained whenever we went to the bar with a note rather than small change... I said that she had all my change, that we had been spending money all day... she huffed and puffed and eventually threw my change across the bar at me. Strange when I am giving her money.

On the 16th it was my birthday. It was a hot day and going to the centre of Marrakech seemed too far so we went to the restaurant there. You have to order a tagine the day before! so we ended up having turkey curry as there was very little choice. It took nearly 1 hour to arrive. I went up to the bar several times to ask where it was. The lady behind the counter seemed quite stoned/drunk and eventually emerged with the curry, giggling while apologising that she had forgot it was waiting in the kitchen... it was stone cold. I took it back, they put it in the microwave after poking it a few times with their fingers. I wait for 5 mins... it comes out... it is still cold. I give up hope... but it is my birthday and besides that I am hungry. So I try to eat half, my husband can't face any of it. Good for him as after that dreaded night I was ill for what felt like the rest of my stay (2 weeks). But maybe that was just a bad night... so we try the mixed grill of meatballs, kebab, etc the next day. My husband found electric blue pieces of stuff in his meatballs... maybe some kind of magic potion the cook had added for good measure.

On complaining we received contemptuous looks and a demand for the money... which is way over priced for the standard of food. So I paid over the odds to be given food poisoning.

The third night there was a massive storm. It went from 49 degree heat to hail stones and monsoon rain for hours. We asked the women working there if it was normal... oh yes, it's normal. So I ask the question, if this is a normal occurance why hadn't the owners thought of drainage for the site. The whole area where campervans were was flooded... you had to waid through the water to get anywhere. And, of course, there was no drainage where our tent was... and it was completely flooded, inside and out. Everything ruined. So it was the last night in Marrakech, lets treat ourselves to one of the permanent nomadic tents on the site. We had no choice anyway, so we move and the nomadic tent is so smelly it is hard to stay inside for more than a few minutes, the aroma thick with damp... the tent full of various insects... the sheets dirty... in every way unpleasant.

Next day, after very little sleep, we go to the reception, the lady has no simpathy for our flooded tent and charges us full price for the use of the horrid nomadic tent. The female owner is also in reception; no 'how was your stay' or anything... she sees the money in my husbands hand and grabs it like it is the first water she has seen in three days while lost in the sahara.

I am not sure if the mistreatment of my husband and I was slight racism or... I have no idea. The French women that worked there would drool over the french clientele, while I, as an English women and my husband as a North African, were treated with absolute contempt.

On leaving Marrakech we took a coach to Oualidia (on the coast), a good 4 hours away. The price for the journey was the same as the campsite's resident taxi driver charges for a one way ride to the centre of Marrakech (60DH = £4.50)! - supposedly 15 mins away. We found other taxi drivers to take us back and they charged 10DH.

The site looks great and the Moroccan guardian and the young lady doing breakfast are the creme de la creme... but the managment is absolutely disgusting. They are money grabbing to the exteme while having no customer service skills and no substance behind the facade. They pay their Moroccan staff pitance (£75/month) while earning massive amount of euros daily. They are lucky that they're the only campsite left in Marrakech. Such a shame, it makes you want to open your own site where customers and staff are treated with respect.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

Been to Domaine Le Relais de Marrakech? Share your experiences!