“An impulse we regret.....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Zalagh Kasbah Hotel and Spa

You added Zalagh Kasbah Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Zalagh Kasbah Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Zone Touristiqur Agdal Lots 18 | Avenue Mohamed VI, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #729 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Rainham, United Kingdom
“An impulse we regret.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

So I got married on 25/4 and my husbands birthday is the 26/4. We both live in Marrakech and were sat at home with a houseful of people and noise and decided to pack a bag jump on a hotel site and get a hotel at a good price. This hotel was less than half price for the night but we were treated quite rudely because of this. We remembered someone recommending this hotel to us only in march so thought it 15 minutes from home and its been praised....... Our experience was far from good and even though we didn't let it spoil our celebrations it left us feeling very disheartened. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone!
1. We booked around 5.30pm arriving around 7pm. When checking in it took 3 yes 3 people to sort us out. The only guy I can praise was the bellman who from the second we arrived made us laugh and was so friendly. Even when we explained we had no change as we just hopped on our scooter and came he was like no problem I don't expect it. We tipped him later and he was very grateful. I found the ladies in the front desk very unorganised. Dealing with me and my husband separately which we couldn't understand why as the reservation was in my name. We produced all paperwork required (as we are Muslim and he is Moroccan we need to prove we are married). But they kept forgetting to make copies so check in took forever.
2. I specifically paid for a standard double room. When checking in they said they had given us a twin, and that's how all the rooms are.... We know this is rubbish as the person who recommended the hotel got a double bed! As newly weds we were both a little miffed. The bellman was great though he organised someone from housekeeping to come and make the twins into one bed using the same sheets. And it worked but I wasn't happy this was meant to be a romantic night. The room though was clean and spacious and the bed was very comfortable even though my husband and I had separate quilts..... Not really how you imagine spending your first legal night in a hotel under separate bedding. They were single quilts so we couldn't even get both of us under one. Can't fault the bathroom the bath was big enough for 2 and the shower was powerful and hot. Was enough mats toiletries and towels.
3. Room service! What a farce! Now I am completely understanding this is a foreign country. A country I live in and have a husband from here. Im fully aware English is not taught unless you pay to go to school but in the hotel industry in morocco I know basic English is a requirement. The girl who answered had none. Then left me waiting for 10 minutes while she found someone who could speak English. Once I got him he took my order quickly. Only then to call me back 5 minutes later to complete the order as he hadn't written down what I asked for. And then once it arrived things were missing. So we had to wait more time. The wine wasn't even cold and the ice bucket I requested had about 10 cubes in. Again not very impressed.
4. Noise. I was woken at 5am by staff bellowing to each other outside my door. My husband would sleep through an earthquake but even he was woken. We heard them again at 6 and again at 8. We had planned to wake at 8 anyway to go to breakfast.
5. Breakfast. There's lots of food. We arrived at around 8.45. I found the food choice ok. My husband didn't like it but he's used to his mums cooking which is amazing. Nothing fresh had been out out though. The honey was dirty the butter was fresh as it was still hard. The bread rolls were stale. The natural yoghurt was hot not warm hot. As I am pregnant I crave a good healthy breakfast and I couldn't eat most of what I chose. We had to hunt someone down for water only to be given 2 wine glasses. We had no cutlery I had to go ask someone for some. No napkins either. Very shoddy. And the order everything is in isn't organised all very running all over the place. I said good morning to the girls cleaning the tables only to be sneered at and ignored.
6. The pool. We loved the pool! As we were checking out at 12 we sat by it from 9-11.15 and it was very relaxing. Music played and the pool guy was very helpful. Apart from one incident he got angry with a cleaner and was screaming at her across the pool.
7. Check out. Well..... What a palava. When I booked this room it assured me my taxes were included...... This was not the case when checking out. I was charged £4 in additional charges. When I produced the receipt of my booking which confirmed I had paid tax the woman started to argue with my husband! She was rude and aggressive. We paid it anyway to avoid anymore confrontation but it was the icing on the cake. She didn't even say goodbye or Thankyou to us when we settled our room service bill. Just slammed our money on the counter. I was livid. My husband had to drag me out the hotel puffing and blinding with the bellman wondering who this crazy English woman was.

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL THE STAFF ARE AWFUL

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We read the previous reviews before booking and made specific requests about which room we'd like during our stay. When we arrived we were surprised to find that the Grand Prix was happening right outside the hotel, so the taxi ride from the airport was longer than it should have been because access was limited. Luckily we had a set price and not a metered taxi. Apart from a little noise we benefited from the location because we had prime viewing for all of the races for free.
The hotel was also situated within walking distance of a mall with a huge supermarket and food court where you could buy cheap meals. We also went to two great restaurants within walking distance; a Moroccan fine dining place run entirely by women called 'Al Fassia' and an Asian fusion lounge and restaurant which served alcohol called 'The Red Sun'.
The hotel staff were all very pleasant and helpful although sometimes their English wasn't 100% We asked for a corner room with a pool view and a fridge and got all of these things. The room was spacious and the bathroom had a lovely shower which always had hot water. The only thing missing was a safe, but we found out later that the hotel is investing in them for all rooms in the near future. Our balcony was big enough to sit on although we didn't really have much cause to use it as we sat by the pool most days.The rooms and towels were cleaned and changed every day although the system for taking dirty towels early in the morning but not bringing the freshly laundered ones till the afternoon didn't make much sense to us ??
Breakfast was fine except on the days when they had large coaches checking in overnight and then the staff were stretched beyond their capabilities. Replenishing of plates, cups and spoons as well as food, was slow although did always arrive in the end. The usually delicious fresh orange juice however was substituted for a nasty tasting artificial one. It was at this point that I realised how the previous reviews could vary so much. Since most people only stay 4-5 nights if they happened to be there when no large groups were then they would have experienced nothing but great service. However, if they had been there when large groups were checking in and out every day then the service and quality of the food was much poorer.
The free shuttle bus ran daily and if it was full, which it often was, then the driver made extra trips to accommodate everyone. A lovely gesture but a bigger bus would be a better solution, as 10 seats did cause arguments between guests who waited but did not get on. Due to the heavy traffic it meant a long wait while the driver dropped the first lot of passengers and came back for the remainders. This also sometimes put the schedule out completely. I cannot fault their intentions, but the practicalities meant that if you didn't get on the first bus then it would probably be better to pay for a taxi unless you were prepared to wait around 45 mins at peak times of day.
The service at the pool was fantastic. The guys really didn't need to be asked for anything as they did a good job of anticipating your needs for sunbeds and towels and umbrella's if required. We went in April so temperatures were just rising, but it did mean that the unheated pool was too cold for may people to go in. It did warm up as temps rose so probably in the summer it would have been just right.
We only had one problem with the staff and that was unfortunately after we had a wallet stolen at the night market the 2nd day there. We reported it to the Tourist police and told the front office staff upon our return to the hotel. The wallet (empty of course) was found the following day and due to paperwork inside it the hotel was contacted to inform us of this. However the member of staff dealing with the call failed to let us know until some 4 days later because we didn't answer the phone when he called us in the room at the time. He didn't think to look by the pool which was literally within eyeshot of the front desk, or leave some kind of message either on the phone system or in the room. Due to this lack of communication a rather long winded unnecessary series of events began involving us chasing around the city finding dead ends because nothing was open for 2.5 days of the week !! The poor communication was however later more than compensated for by a lovely hotel guest, ( a Moroccan visiting with his family from another town), and the hotel Administrator a lovely gentleman we had met on the shuttle bus earlier in the week by the name of Giovanni Pugni, who between them managed to locate the wallet and get it back to us after our return to the U.K. ( minus the cash of course !). They went over and above any expectations we had of hotel staff or indeed Moroccan natives. The unfortunate experience had a good ending which served to restore our faith not only in the Moroccan people in general but also in the hotel in general. That coupled with the maid who literally ran after me as I was walking out of the hotel to get into my taxi to leave to the airport on our last day, having found my robe when she cleaned our room, I didn't even realise I had left it behind, but she made sure I didn't leave without it.
Overall for the money we paid I cannot fault the hotel and would recommend it for anyone travelling on a budget who still likes decent standards of service and cleanliness. Doo please remember that you are in Africa and things work differently to Europe or North America so be prepared for that.

Room Tip: Corner room. Pool view. We stayed in 1020 which was ground floor near to the entrance to the pool so...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Best hotel in Morocco. Very spacious, new, inviting, clean, and beautifully set up. Pool and Spa are fabulous, food is delicious, TV was new with two English channels, Bathroom was grand, rooms very quiet at night, beautiful sunsets from the outside room balcony, Safe built into the room closet, The internet in the lobby does not work, WIFI works on in the lobby, This hotel is located a good distance from the Madina which can be good or bad depending on your mode of travel. Even though the room was spacious there was only room for one suitcase.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the outside have fabulous sun set views, and rooms facing the pool have a grand view of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Planet Earth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed in Marrakech a year ago in a different hotel and we hoped (my party and I) that by paying a little mere we might get better service. But sadly NO, the staff at this hotel are very offhand and one had the feeling that if it was in anyway possible they would not have European guest at all.

The hotel itself was ok, the decoration is a bit tired, the bathrooms need an overhaul, as does the lighting in public areas. It is motion controlled and often did not work or took up to 10 seconds to activate.

Room keys, if you are there more than a day you will need to get the key re-programed daily (this talking to friends in other Marrakech hotels) is a city wide problem and no one could explain it, but 4 days out of 5 the key does not work, so unless you want to walk repeatedly from your room to the reception get the key re-programed each time you return.

The food was not very interesting or impressive, again you get the feeling that they are going through the motions but do not really want to provide a 'western' option.

Over all for me I would be reluctant to use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
portsmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Our room was lovely, staff brought us drinks at the pool. Tip for people who have written bad reviews for here, if you want something ask for it! They couldnt do enough for us and the breakfast buffet was yummy, scrambled eggs, toast, pancakes (made in front of you) the biggest salad/fruit table ever!! and loads more! The dinner is nice too and changes every night, so really just depends upon personal taste. The pool has beautiful big round beds, and sun loungers, the pool guys will bring you a clean towel and cushions :) they even helped us move our beds when the sun moved round.We had 2 rooms, 1 didnt have a fridge so we rang reception and they got us one. The spa staff are polite women and had a well needed massage after camel riding. There is a supermarket 2 mins down the road. Great time and gorgeous hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is an interesting hotel because at first glance it appears to tick all the boxes. A large foyer to greet guests and clean comfortable rooms. The rooms have balconies and it was a treat to sun ourselves in our own space. The bedding is good and comfortable and the bathroom adequate except for the meagre water flow in the shower. A large pool area is attractive and inviting. There is a bit of a walk to reach the dining room and the layout is suggestive of boarding school. At breakfast there is plenty of food,but the layout and organisation leave a lot to be desired. You would think after many years of catering to tourists, ( many moving through on organised tours every few weeks ) that the selection of breakfast food would favour the Western palate.Our breakfast's were chaos with no staff on hand and guests milling in and out with no direction. The food was plain, with cold sliced manufactured meat and salads taking up most of the tables. Cold scrambled egg and numerous sugary pastries is not my choice for breakfast. I believe better and responsive management could liven this hotel up and provide direction for a tired staff. The Atlas mountains visible in the background elevate this hotel to slightly better than average.

Room Tip: In the winter months choose a room that will have sunshine.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have recently come back from Marrakech, courtesy of Fleetway Travel via travelzoo who were excellent. The elegant entrance to the hotel set the standard for the week. Immediately on our arrival, we were served with welcoming mint tea, and were shown to our very pleasant bedrooms, with a balcony and views to the Atlas Mountains in the distant. Loads of hot water always available, with bed linen, sheets and toiletries changed daily.
We were favoured, generally, with very warm weather, so we could take advantage of the outdoor pool facilities which were spotless, and concur with other reviewers regarding the super service from the pool attendant. We had the half board option, taking either lunch or dinner. Being a muslim country dont expect sausages, bacon etc for breakfast, but most of the other breakfast ingredients were there, even if you did have to wait for toast!! Lunch or dinner was always a choice of meat, fish and pasta - no dish was repeated -with choice of veg, large selection of salads and sweets, all of which was very tasty. There was usually some european dishes available for the fussy eaters. Alcohol choice is obviously very limited:-a bottled beer will cost you £2 50 - £4 and a bottle of wine begins at £9. All the numerous indoor spa facilities including the pool and Jacuzzi, have to be paid for but are relatively cheap
The service from all the staff was very friendly and efficient, and they did appreciate if you did have a go at speaking French - 1 of the 2 official languages. Being much travelled, and not expecting too much being Africa, we were pleasantly surprised
Marrakech is a vibrant, colourful, noisy city, but expect beggars, including persistent children, poverty, and people trying to rip you off but that's all part of life there. Be warned when eating in the square at night, which must be tried, stick to the menu offered, and don't leave it up to them to chose for you, or it will be expensive
Excellent value for money and a really good holiday

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Zalagh Kasbah Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!