“Excellent!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zalagh Kasbah Hotel and Spa

You added Zalagh Kasbah Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Zalagh Kasbah Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Zone Touristiqur Agdal Lots 18 | Avenue Mohamed VI, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #333 of 470 Hotels in Marrakech
london
“Excellent!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Hotel is brilliant, service was excellent except once when tried to get room service. Hotel is located quite far from central Marrakech, but shuttle service is real asset, but could be more frequently. We had a room with pool view- beautiful. Highly recommend and would def use it again.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

This is a very nice, new property on the outskirts of Marrakech, with beautiful rooms and a beautiful pool. Meals were very nice - we had the buffet at breakfast as well as a buffet at dinner for our group. The staff were very nice and helpful.

There is an hourly shuttle in to Jemaa el-Fnaa square that is easy to catch, so no problems seeing the city. There is a very modern shopping mall a few blocks away to pick up anything else you might need.

Wifi was a bit of a problem here, as it seemed to be at a number of places in Morocco - I don't think the infrastructure is up to the load sometimes. We were able to get on the web occasionally, but it was not reliable. The nightclub noise problem mentioned by others wasn't really a bother while we were there, but the silly nightclub people did seem to want to leave their door open into the courtyard for some strange reason - all quiet by about 9pm, though.

All in all, a very nice, relaxing place to stay which has great rates right now, looking at the quoted prices of $86/night.

Room Tip: Get room with balcony overlooking pool.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Light, spacious public areas; excellent, large swimming pool and lounging area in courtyard, rooms fine, good souvenir shop - while we were there, people demonstrating artisanal skills; located on a wide, landscaped boulevard well out of town in newly developing tourist quarter - a lot of vacant sites. Walking into town is a possibility but we'd recommend a taxi or the occasional hotel shuttlebus. Meals in the low-level restaurant were plentiful but quality only so-so; like a lot of Moroccan hotels, we found. Staff courteous but somewhat off-hand especially in the restaurant - perhaps a language or training problem. Very happy to stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor, west side, overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Oban, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I recently stayed here at the beginning and end of a Cosmos bus tour around Morocco. The room was spacious and clean with a lovely balcony facing the large, clean and beautiful pool area. The reception area has lovely lounges and wifi connection is excellent here and the staff are very pleasant, couteous and helpful. There are many sun lounges around the huge pool. Breakfast was continental - toast, cereal, juices, tea, coffee, pastries, cucumber, tomatoes, cheeses, yogurt , fruit with some scrambled eggs and hot pancakes and more than adequate for quality and choice to give you a good start for the day. There is a lift and the shuttle bus to the main square and return is reliable and very handy. The supermarket - Carrefour - 10 mins walk in a straight direction from the hotel is handy and has everything you would need and there are heaps of other speciality shops and eating places. If you're female and walking alone - it's a busy road - expect some tooting horns and lingering glances from males. But if you just walk on confidently with a purpose and don't react there's no problem. I wouldn't do the walk at night alone though - even our tour guide suggested that hint.
The hotel is excellent for location - out of the city centre but close enough - 5-10 mins in the shuttle bus. Overall, have no faults wth the hotel or staff and more than exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Weston super Mare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I booked this hotel as it was close to a venue I needed to reach for business. It is fairly new, attractively furnished, with excellent rooms. The beds were comfortable and of the twin-zip type, and I was impressed with the speed mine was swiftly turned into a king-sized double at my request. There is a small refrigerator in the room, too.

The room overlooked the good-sized pool, and its separate children's pool, and got the early sunshine on the balcony. At night the pool area is beautifully lit with traditional lanterns creating a magical effect. There was plenty of excellent seating around the pool which is in sunshine for the majority of the day.

The bathroom was well fitted, with full-sized bath and bidet too.

The downside came later that evening when I discovered there was no heating. I was told there was a fault, and indeed electricians were working along the entire corridor two days later. Yet, for the entire five nights I was there, the heating did not work. I was supplied with a small electric fire which took the chill off, but no more.

On my first visit to the dining room, I was somewhat bemused to see a bird standing atop the pile of bread beside the toaster, and another flying in the room. The staff did not even move the piece of bread when i drew their attention to it. They simply laughed and ignored it! There was a good choice of food, including 'cereal soup', a kind of porridge which was quite tasty, although not as we know it.

My issues with the service came when I became ill. I developed a high temperature and hideous tummy bug on Day 2 - and needed water brought up to my room. Simple enough, yet the difficulty I had in getting this was unbelievable. I also requested some plain boiled rice, and got lukewarm rice, drowning in melted butter! Was it reheated or had it just got cold? I've no idea, but it was definitely NOT plain freshly cooked boiled rice.

During four of the three of the four days I spent here, life was pretty miserable. Feeling so ill, and discovering the shortcomings of the service and also the English language skills of the staff made life very unpleasant. In fact, so cold was I in my room, that I dragged myself out to sleep on a sunbed as it was a lot warmer out there than in my room. This was actually quite a challenge in my state of health! Here, I found the Pool Boy to be the best English speaker and the most caring and considerate member of staff I encountered throughout my stay.

They did call a Doctor for me when I asked, but were unable to help me get the prescription made up. This resulted in the Doctor offering to take me to the Pharmacy, and he organised a taxi to return me to my hotel. Thank heaven for a kindly Doctor.

I had booked a small hotel in the Kasbah for the remaining, post-business, days of my trip to Marrakech and on the departure morning from ZK, I couldn't even get someone to come and help me with my luggage! They did however organise a taxi for me, and I was more thankful than I can tell you to leave the Zalagh Kasbah behind and arrive at a welcoming and very friendly small boutique hotel where I was immediately offered Boiled Rice!

It is a long, but straightforward walk into the old town, along a main road with good pavements. Longer than it looks as the road is so straight! Taxi drivers will try to charge you around 100 dirhams to take you into town (so I'm told) yet when I did the journey in reverse, from my Riad to the shopping centre just before my return to the UK, the fare was only 20 dirhams. One gets streetwise and local info much more readily when staying in the Medina or Kasbah.

My own experience, of staying in two small Riads - one before and another after the ZK experience, I much prefer the more personal and caring service one gets in a small, usually family run hotel.

Would I go back to the ZK or recommend it? Hard to answer that. Had I not been ill, had the heating been working in my room, had the staff been able to speak better English, had there been more help and consideration for my 'special' needs in view of my illness - then I might feel very differently. It is close to the new Al Maswar Supermarket and shopping complex, which makes it fairly easy to get drinks etc. There are no good restaurants close by, but several 'chain' eateries in the Al Maswar. The staff were friendly enough, but simply didn't have the knowledge or the experience (or even authority) to deal with my needs.

For several years, I worked as an overseas Manager for a major British Tour Operator. My guess is (I did not investigate this) that this hotel has not trained its staff well enough in dealing with anything other than the basics of meet and greet.

I am going back to Marrakech next week - this time to stay at the Hotel Eden Andalou - a trip organised by my daughter as a Christmas present. Utter coincidence as she didn't know of my January trip when she bought it. I am excited, because I loved Marrakech.

Room Tip: Pool view is good. There are some new rooms being prepared for 2013 and these will be a mix of pool...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I was in Marrakech for a week on business, and as I needed to visit to the south of the city each day, I stayed at the Zalagh.
January is not the best season for visiting, so there were far fewer people in the hotel than at high season, but overall it was still a very pleasant hotel.
My room overlooked the swimming pool - a lovely sight both last thing at night and first thing in the morning! If staying during busier times of the year, I'd recommend paying the upgrade for that view.

The room was comfortable, with a real bath!
Good sized beds.
Refrigerator in the room (didn't seem to get particularly cold, but it kept my supplies nicely chilled).

There is an aircon in each room, which you can set to heat or to cool, although it seems to only be on when the keycard is in the room, so if you are out all day the zircon will be off, worth bearing in mind.
It worked fine (on heat, the outside temperature especially at night required it) except for one night where there appeared to be a problem with the heating (neither the zircon worked nor was there much hot water), other than that the rest of the time it was fine.

Breakfast is pretty standard continental fare - croissants, rolls, bread, pastries, jams, cold meat, cheese, cereal, juices. And boiled or scrambled eggs. There was also something more local cooked to order, although I must admit I never got round to trying it.

There is a shuttle bus (free) from the hotel to the square, although I didn't use it - you can walk the journey (pretty straightforward) in about 30 - 40 minutes which was more enjoyable.

The pool and sun loungers were lovely (the pool alas unheated so I didn't brave it!) and would be gorgeous in the hotter weather!

There is a spa at the hotel, although I didn't find time to try it out so I can't comment.

The staff were friendly and helpful, and are happy to arrange for a taxi when required - it's about 150 - 200 MAD to go from / to the airport, cheaper transport also being available if you are ok with going for a petit taxi or the bus.

The hotel itself was nice and bright and airy, and I can see it still feeling nice and cool in the height of summer, providing a haven from the midday sun!

There's a supermarket and mall and cinema all within 5 minutes gentle stroll, including an ATM (which is handy - the hotel can change money but only cash, so if you need to get more money you need the atm).

There is free WiFi in the public area, and if (like me) you are lucky enough to have a room with a pool view close to reception, you can pick up the WiFi signal in your room - there's something lovely about sitting on the balcony of an evening working away on the laptop with the pool and palm trees beside you!

Room Tip: Go for a pool view room if you can, and get as close to reception as possible so as to be able to ac...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

very nice hotel beautifull pool very comfy beds with nice decoration nice breakfast but food not aLL THAT
very quiet hotel good night sleep and spa hamame is open

Room Tip: pool view had beautifull look very nice at night time with all the lights it gives a roamance feelin...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Zalagh Kasbah Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!