“Lovely friendly Team location excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Riad et Palais des Princesses
37, 41 Derb Jamaa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #187 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
UK
“Lovely friendly Team location excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed recently at this Riad for the first time my 5th visit in Marrakech, was not too impressed with 1st room but Manager changed with no problem the next day, beds a little firm, bedding/comfortable/clean and a peaceful end to a mad day, so much appreciated the quiet at night time. Location was good 5 mins to the main square. Breakfast good although an omelette would have been welcomed (dont like warm scrambled egg). Most importantl was as a solo disabled traveller the help and support I received from Abdel and his team was excellent and so much appreciated. Would definately stay there again for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

186 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

A beautiful riad, very well located, down lots of very characterful lane ways, close to everything. Beautiful room, very pretty & comfortable. Bathroom like a little palace. Lovely people & a delicious breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013
Orange, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We did a girls (8 of us) trip to Europe. We stayed at this cute and charming hotel. It was right in the main square with the locals. Next to this hotel are local living and it was great to see their culture.
Thank goodness we paid extra for the pick up from the airport/transfer or else we would have NEVER found this place! We went directly inside to the main square with the van and they loaded our luggage on wagons to push to our hotel. Very interesting! I've never seen such thing! =)
They greeted us with cookies and their yummy sweet tea! English was spoken so that was a definite plus!
They chefs even made a late lunch for us-which was really sweet as we were starving! They also have massages here. Very much different than the massages in the US. You are pretty much bare naked-no towels covering you but when in Morocco do what the Moroccans do!
The first day out to the main square was scary cuz we didn't know what to expect but these locals are aggressive when it comes to selling. We got it down the 2nd day and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and bargaining with the locals. I am so glad I went with my girlfriends on this trip. Once in a lifetime of grand memories!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Being a part of the old town I think you have to make allowances for certain things that will not compare with an international 5 star hotel. But what you are getting with somewhere like this is a beautiful, quaint, traditional dwelling right within the old town and just a 5 minute walk from the main square. The rhiad is picture perfect but of course has its quirks, which I will address as I think if visitors can be pre advised you can learn from our experiences and really have a very beautiful experience yourself with expectations fully managed.

1. Location/ Upon Arrival: We had pre booked the "hotel shuttle" which didn't actually turn up at the airport so we had to phone several times before a taxi actually turned up for us, due to there being a strike and the traffic being terrible. Not sure I believe this as the airport is really not far from the city and the roads were busy but not terrible. So we didn't have a great first impression. We were however very glad that we had booked it through the hotel as there is no way we would have found it just with a taxi from the hotel. Within the medina, there is mostly no car access - it is all little alleyways, etc. so I would strongly recommend booking this through the hotel. We did get the hotel shuttle on the return to the airport and it was a very efficient service in a very modern vehicle (unusual in Marrakech from my experience). After we had arrived and settled in, we found it very easy to find the Rhiad whenever we out as we quickly got our bearings and being so near the square is such a benefit, from an orientation perspective and from being close to everything.

2. Check In/ Room - check in was very chilled with fresh mint tea and free wifi. I was travelling with my father so we needed twin beds so whilst we were waiting to be shown to our rooms we double checked that it was twin beds which had been booked. I got the impression this hadn't been accounted for so we were asked to wait a while and were eventually shown to our room. Now the room was beautiful - a real miniature palace with original features, etc. We had a junior suite so it was one of their larger rooms, so there was no issue with size. It was long and narrow though but that wasn't an issue. Anyway there was a big king bed - very grand - and then they had set up what looked like a camp bed, as the second bed. We advised them this wasn't acceptable so they asked us to give them the afternoon to fix it, which we did, and returned for them to have set it up as 2 single beds which was better - they were certainly very creative! The beds were mattresses on boards on a frame so they weren't the most comfortable but it was fine. So if you are in a couple - ie the norm expected for this room and you have the lovely massive king bed - you won't have this issue. If you need twin beds which these rooms aren't really intended to be set up with, then you have to expect some challenges! Anyway we were very happy with the room after that. One thing we did observe was that there was no telephone in the room. My father got sick while we were there and this would have been quite necessary in this scenario - one of those things you don't notice until it's not there, but might be very necessary for some people. The hotel staff were very helpful when my father was ill and called out for pizza for us and offered to call a doctor, etc. which was very much appreciated. The shower was a bit temperamental but not all the time. The TV has 1000 channels so it would be good if they were to give a list of the key channel numbers for the international channels.

3. Breakfast - fine but I wouldn't bother - you are so close to the square there are lots of nice local breakfasts to enjoy. Annoyingly we thought we had paid an inclusive rate so ate it every day and it was fine for that - different breads, etc. but we only found out when we paid the bill that it wasn't included so if we'd known we would probably have just had breakfast one or two days.

4. Rooftop - the hotel has a lovely rooftop with sun loungers and views across the minarets of Marrakech and great sunsets. Really lovely chill out area to read and relax. The courtyard is very pretty too.

5. Overall I would absolutely recommend this place to stay. The service was incredibly friendly and the place is such a beautiful little taste of Morocco in a fantastic location - so much nicer than staying in an international branded hotel, outside of the medina with no heart and soul. I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
ORADEA,ROMANIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Booked a single room for six nights in November,35Euro/night. Staying in two different rooms I had two different experiences.
First of all, I must recognize , the riad was very clean and calm and the staff was very helpful and efficient, especially the cleaning women.
.The location is perfect, five minutes walking from Djemma El Fna.For a beginner in the city it was a little difficult to find.Paid 15 Euro for a taxi from airport to the big square, then a totally unhelpful guy was ready for a tip to look after my hotel.But I refused to give any tip because I hate this practice.
My first room L'Appartment de la Favorite was very beautiful, with nice design,original door ,comfortable bed but with external private bathroom.It was very cold after 7 P.M and to walk to the bathroom on the corridor, to open and shut the doors of my room and of my bathroom with the key create some stress for me.Very unpleasant experience because the bathroom was a little far.The bathroom was fine , a lot of toiletries for guests but the shower could have a better pressure.
Wifi doesn't work in my first room.I was forced to stay with my laptop in the corridor, the router was situated too far.
After many insistences they gave me another room,Lallaa Saadia, small, but very comfortable with a little bathroom and I lost the chance to make the trips in the dark .Wifi works perfect.It was a fridge in every room.
It is impossible to describe the breakfast, 6 Euro, because I choose to eat in the city.Any tourist had a lot of options in the area to eat delicious pancakes, fruits, sweets .
For the transfer from the riad to the station I paid 10 Euro.

Room Tip: L'Appartment de la Favorite is very beautiful , not comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Beek, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in the junior suite. This was our first hotel out of 5 different ones on our Moroccan trip and it was pretty good.
Pros: Very pretty riad, quiet, nice breakfast, easy airport transfer and friendly staff. I actually found it quite easy to find the place after coming back from the Jemma El Fna (especially compared with our next riad).
Cons: The suite was actually not very big and it was difficult to navigate around the bed, as it took up quite a bit of floor space. The main con was the drain smell in the bathroom. You didn't really smell it when the door was closed but once you stepped into the (small) bathroom it was an overwhelming smell of sewer/drain. I realize in old cities, you sometimes get this (happened to us in France also) but it doesn't make it any less unpleasant. I would have enjoyed my stay more if that smell would not have been there.
Overall, I liked the place and really liked the location (never got lost while staying there which definitely happened later once we moved locations. I only changed riads because I like to stay in a few different places to check it out)

Room Tip: All of the rooms that I saw looked nice but I would request one away from the main floor lobby.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Upon receiving a personal recommendation, we booked 2 nights here. For a series of reasons we ended up not enjoying it. These reasons may just be one-off exceptions but thought I would explain anyway. It is very hard to find. Even our very fancy prior Marrakesh hotel could not locate it, so we ended up hiring a guide to lead us there. If the website for the riad had shown a local number, as well as the French one, we could have contacted them for assistance, as they were not answering the French number. Once we arrived, the manager very graciously lead us to the lovely roof deck and arranged for mint tea, while our room was prepared. However, hours later no one still had come to show us our room, but we chased it down. The room was strewn with rosé petals and has robes, but was too narrow to open our suit cases. The shower water pressure was so low that the water came out as a dribble. The riad is in the medina, which is great. It is also however, down 2 quite dark lanes before you meet one of the main passages in the medina. One night my husband was ill and we were to join friends for dinner in the main square. I did not feel comfortable travelling these dark lanes alone. The breakfast buffets were fine. On the up side, when we asked for assistance arranging for s very early taxi to the airport, the second manager took us himself to the main square to meet the driver, who had been delayed by a traffic accident. He also made us some early coffee. Our friends stayed in another riad in the medina and for the same price. They had a much better experience. We visited it and definitely felt it was lovely and the owner was very welcoming.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the hotel pick you up and take you to the riad. Also check your room before accep...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad et Palais des Princesses? Share your experiences!