“Nice place to reach the square, the souk and the medina” 5 of 5 stars

Riad et Palais des Princesses
37, 41 Derb Jamaa, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #191 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Tbilisi, Georgia
“Nice place to reach the square, the souk and the medina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Excellent value for money. Helpful staff. The only proviso not mentioned on the riad's site: the Jmaa-el-Fna square is closed for cars from 1 PM, so though it is just about 100 m from the square, if you come on a taxi with luggage you have to stop at the opposite side of the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Derry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We chose this riad based on reviews on trip advisor and were not disappointed. We chose to be picked up from the airport by the riad which cost 15 euros. Preferable than having to wait around for a bus / get a taxi when your flight is arriving in the evening. I will say that in hindsight the charge was probably a bit steep. The riad, however does not disappoint. It is in an excellent location for the Djema el Fna (particularly good at night when walking home in the dark) and the souks. It is located down a few dark lanes but fear not, this is where people live and we passed kids playing football there at night. We stayed in a superior room on one of the upper floors. Very comfortable, spotlessly clean with good wifi and tv in the room. Decoration in this riad is gorgeous and it has a fantastic roof terrace with comfortable sun loungers if you just want to chill out. Breakfast is excellent and the staff are very helpful and patient with all questions. The manager organised bus tickets for our onward travel. Would highly recommend this riad.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My first trip to Morocco and Marrakech so I did not know what to expect. I booked online after reading reviews on this site and booking.com. The place is a wonderful place to stay in Marrakech. It is a few minutes walk from the main square however very quiet. The manager is very kind and accommodating to any questions or tourist assistance. My flight was late so my taxi was not there when I arrived however after a call to the riad my taxi was sent so I did not have to wait too long. A clean tourist van as opposed to the dirty old taxis that wait at the airport. I am not sure of the price difference between the two options however I was very happy with this transport. The breakfast was lovely and the kitchen staff made me a Moroccan mint tea on my request. The single room is small but adequate. Bathroom very cute and immaculately clean. Free wifi with good service. There is also a lovely terrace area to sit and relax in and I think you can take your breakfast up there. I only discovered it after I had finished breakfast. Excellent all round. Can`t fault this Riad.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is down a few alleys, and at first the area looks a little sketchy. Inside, it is beautiful. White walls, fountains, roof terrace, plush bathrobes in the rooms. I had a single, which was very tight, but comfortable. If anything, the riad is a little over the top, with crystal chandeliers and rococo style flower artwork. Breakfast buffet was nice.
Since I was there in late June, it stayed light quite late, so I never walked to the riad after dark, and don't know how comfortable I would have been with that.

Room Tip: Single room could have used even 6 inches more in width.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

It looked fantastic and had great reviews. We booked online via booking.com on 30th May and received immediate confirmation that the booking had done through - nothing to pay until we checked out on 5th January. All exciting - two families going; price confirmed and agreed with both parties.

I went to Madrid on 31st May, returning on 4th June (no Roam facility whilst there...) to discover on my return an email saying that the booking had been cancelled because there was insufficient credit available on the credit card I had given. But we were not going until December. And there was nothing to pay until January. Booking.com assured me they had tried to contact me prior to this email - no evidence of that on email account or mobile phone messages. I emailed immediately and asked if they would reinstate the booking - I could provide another card. I was told no, I had to revisit the website and book again. Which I did. To discover than in less than one week the prices for the four rooms we wanted had risen by 210 euros each.
Seemingly, whilst I was on a call to them to try and resolve the issue, Booking.com phoned the hotel, requesting that our booking might be reinstated at the original price. It was declined. So we won't be going there after all.

Genuine mistake? Or does this happen quite frequently - with somebody somewhere making a lot more money out of the same customers... something smells not quite right.

Be warned - when you complete the booking form, it does not alert you to the fact that your card has to be good for the entire balance of the booking at the point of booking - even if you won't be paying anything for six months. It emphasises that you can cancel right up to one week prior to going with no penalty to be paid. But the hotel may well check the card (permitted funds available) and reserve the right to decline the booking. Apparently this is stated somewhere on the site - but not evident where you actually book. Maybe this is obvious to some people - it wasn't to me and had I known, I would have proferred another card. Instead I ended up feeling like a criminal - or a fool who has been duped. Bad taste in mouth. Need to book somewhere else now - any ideas?!

Room Tip: It does look absolutely beautiful, but look at all the room options when booking - the prices vary c...
Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Beverley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We found this Riad on the Internet so were a little worried that it would not live up to our expectations. We need not have worried, it was perfect in every way. We asked to be collected from the airport....our taxi was ready waiting for us. Our room in the Riad was comfortable and spotlessly clean, with constant hot water for showers. Considering we were so near to the square and in the souks, we wondered if we would find the Riad noisy. Not at all.....it's so very calm and peaceful in there and we found the sun beds on the terraces a great added attraction. From there, we watched the storks flying overhead! The hosts and staff were so very helpful and attentive, we could not have asked for more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I found this Riad by research on this site, so most things have already been said. However, I loved my stay here. my friend and I had separate rooms on the first floor and it was so quiet. The rooms were very clean and the rose petals somehow made one fell special. The breakfast was wonderful, the buffet catering for all desires. Eggs and potatoes, apricots and pancakes and much more...
The staff were friendly but not intrusive, always helpful and smiling.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad et Palais des Princesses? Share your experiences!