“Spa and Lunch date” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Dakar
“Spa and Lunch date”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

While visiting Marrakesh I decided to surprise my friend with a special spa treatment for his birthday. I was hesitant about it because it was alot of money for something that the previous ratings were so mixed. We both had 60 minute facials using Sisley products at the spa and loved it! Our experience was fantastic and luxurious and we did not want to leave! Staff was friendly and knowledgeable about both the services and the products. No one acted snobby or like we didn't belong there the whole time. After our spa treatments we went and had lunch at the French restaurant and it was the best meal we had in Marrakesh. The food is cooked and flavored to perfection. Definitely a fun and worth it splurge while in Marrakesh!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The Royal Mansour is a truly amazing place, seriously absolutely stunning. We went in one evening for a pre-dinner cocktail and sat in the rose gold bar room. The cocktails we chose were 'signature', and lovely. There was live piano music filtering and it was a great way to start our evening. So why only 4 stars? Down to service mainly, it was probably just bad timing but we were sat in the bar for quite a while before someone came to take a drinks order (we helped ourselves to menu's in the end), and then there was some confusion with calling a car to take us on to our restaurant (they gave ours to someone else so we had to wait for another one). I would definitely recommend it to experience the sheer opulence.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

upon arrival we've been received with such an open heart. the hotel manager mr.Jean greeted us with such warmth , and generousity .

the room butler ( abdulghani ) recognised us before entry and was remarkable the whole time

i never knew that such hotel can deliver so beyond the expectations. the rooms and hotel sorounding is a living new era moniument. im possibley one of the most difficult people to charm or impress . however i surrendered to this hotels greatness and success.

the spa : ive just had the best Hammam .. a one that fits the bill of royalty. curtousy of mr. Abdulkader... the best.

the food: top top quality morrocon cuisine. i loved the goat milk yogurt. their honey selection, tagine. and great restaurant.

i would say that i am sure , that i will never see a better hotel than this. from management. and service. and rooms . a sanctuary that needs recognition. defnitly i will keep comming back again. and keep recomending it to the world.

comming here makes you feel like a crowned king.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
East Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a truly incredible hotel! Very upmarket and opulent. Beautiful entrance area gives you an idea of what you are walking into. Didn't really experience the restaurants or bars so cannot comment on the prices, but I would expect them to be high in a hotel of this standard. I stayed in a 2 Bedroom Ryiad which was out of this world! It was like living in a house for 2 days, and you had a butler to service your every needs. I really can't praise this property enough, it was absolutely beautiful and one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Just amazing, and the 2 bedroom Ryiad's are stunning!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I wanted to experience a traditional hammam scrub and also to see and experience the design of the Royal Mansour Spa. It comes highly rated in many places. I was extremely disappointed. It was the only hammam treatment I did in Marrakech so I can only compare it to spa experiences in other countries (Japanese baths, Korean Spa scrubs, regular western high end spa experiences in the USA, UK, Australia) and this fell short in terms of my overall satisfaction.

It was by far the most expensive treatment in town. I knew that when I chose it. 1400Dirhams for a 60 minute traditonal scrub, plus I chose to tip 10% as the treatment people were nice and competent at their part of the experience. Fatema was my scrubber and she was warm, friendly & made me feel comfortable.

One thing that was annoying - at the end of my treatment I was wrapped in my wet towel, then my bathrobe wrapped on top, then my very wet hair clipped on top of my head - I was starting to get a bit cold then led upstairs to the "relaxtion room", where I could lounge and read magazines (none in English, none of any quality, all trashy - I flipped through French Glamour. I did my best to be patient & enjoy myself when all I wanted to do was take off the wet layers (ill-fitting treatment thong, wet towel, wet hair, wet robe) and put some moisturizer on my face. I waited 10 mins for my tea, then drank some, so by the time I got downstairs I was colder than I wanted to be and my face had completely dehydrated. In the scrub they scrub you face too so it was stripped clean and they apply no moisture layer to you. By the time I got downstairs to the change rooms where the Dr Haushka face moisturizer was available I had a very badly peeling nose and my body skin was drying out on the extremities. I blow dried my hair, slathered my whole body in Dr Hauskka products, then was very ready to leave.

Overall complaints. Lack of common sense in the staff. No-one shows you around the premises - you are supposed to be allowed to use the sauna, the pool, the jacuzzi before your treatment, yet when I got there 40 minutes early (they told me to arrive 30 minutes early on the phone) no-one knew who I was, why I was there & I was left sitting for 5 minutes (with a beverage which is nice). It took me a bit to realized no-one was coming to help me and I explained who I was. I was told somewhat indignantly that I was early which I thought was rude and defensive and not a professional start. Then I asked to do the sauna and was told it was not turned on, could I wait. I said fine, I will swim for 10 mins. After swimming and showering, 20 minutes later I asked to sauna and was met with some inexplicable resistance but I was insistent as I was feeling very cold. The pool is heated but not that warm. I get to the sauna and it is not turned on, I am told to sit and wait again, by a new staff member. I get angry and say I had been told the sauna was turned on 25 minutes ago, he says sorry let em go find out. I am left alone, cold and wet under my robe and after 5 minutes I go upstairs and say, you know what I think I will just leave. This is ridiculous and I am not having a good time. I am not relaxed. I am cold. This is a terrible US$200 experience so far and just not acceptable. Then a very sweet woman apologizes a lot and talks me into staying, then Karim the hairstylist smooths everything over with his EXCELLENT manner. He is an asset to them, really good sense of how to handle customers, I relaxed in his chair while he applied coconut oil to my hair.

The Scrub:
If you like Korean style body scrub, this is not for you. This scrub experience is very very mild. You receive one mild going over with the exfoliating glove and a black soap. It's fine, but notjhing I couldn't do myself, it is not particularly thorough or vigorous (unlike a Korean scrub where you see old dead skin coming off you in gray fragments and ribbons, this is mild to the point of ineffectual). Then some "mask" (looked like scrub again) is placed all over you but not rubbed in, just left to sit on you, then washed off. Then some gelatinous moisturizing layer is added to you and you lie there some more. Then your face is scrubbed and your hair is washed. You are lying down on hard marble the entire time. My low back ached by the end. My neck ached from when I was lying face down on the marble. There is a towel folded like a pillow, but marble is hardly a comfortable surface for an entire hour.

Overall, I was shocked by how many people there are in spa uniforms, all being super sweet and sort of trying to "help you" being and friendly and warm, while everything just seems really illogical & you dont feel well served. I suspect the size and physical functioning of the space that is not helping the staff - the fact that it is divided over 2 floors and has a lot of rooms, but still, perhaps it is also the system in place by management on how to flow a guest in and out of a treatment? Perhaps it is poor training - no-one seems to have service industry common sense. Whatever it is, I had a really rocky and expensive experience only salvaged by Karim's efficiency and good service instincts and then Fatima's ability to make me comfortable (it's not her fault I think the scrub is just not a thorough treatment, I dont think it was her application, I think it is just the nature of this kind of scrub - too mild for my taste).

To top it all off, on my way out a nice receptionist was accompanying me to the main door to outside. She had just given me directions to my hotel and we were walking in comfortable silence down a long and poorly lit corridor, and it did not occur to her to point out that there are lots of shallow wide steps and I did not see them. I twisted my ankle and almost fell. It was a moderate twist, 3 hours later it still throbs a bit plus I spasmed my back from the jar/jolting action if stumbling, so at the time I just stood still on 1 leg for 2 mins waiting to be able to put weight on it agaon. She offered to get me a cab, but I really really wanted to leave. So, again - the complete lack of service common sense caused me to have a bad experience, in this case in the form of an injury. It seems obvious to me - a client new to the space who arrived in the day and leaving by night, plus relaxed post spa-treatment, it seems only common sense to say "Please be careful, there is a step here, and a few more ahead". She was perfectly nice, but nice didn't stop me from tripping. Common sense and proactiveness would. With all of the reception staff at this spa there seems to be no service instinct or common sense beyond the warm smiles.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

A really outstanding hotel. Willing and capable staff throughout maybe a few more grey hairs might improve matters further. A couple of negatives , rooms are very poorly lit and the food is at times very overpriced. Bar these 2 issues the hotel is really quite outstanding.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
atherton, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

There is no question that the Royal Mansour is among the most beautiful hotels, perhaps the most beautiful hotel, that we have ever stayed in. Every surface is hand decorated by Moroccan craftsmen, and no detail is overlooked. It is a remarkable place to stay. However, it is an extremely formal environment, and every little thing you might want, while available, is charged at a ridiculous rate. A cola from the minibar is $10; a sandwich from room service is $50. The negative reviews, one regarding the restaurant asking someone to leave for failing to dress sufficiently formally, and one regarding the staff ignoring problems in the rooms, do not surprise me. The hotel is not focused on making guests comfortable. It is focused on creating the most luxurious and royal experience possible for people for whom expense is irrelevant. If you want to wear your designer silk suit and be served by waiters in white gloves, then the Royal Mansour is the right place to stay. If you are looking for a place where you will feel a warm welcome and where luxury means truly personal service, then Royal Mansour is not perfect for you. Just to give you a sense of the place, every time we returned to the hotel on foot, we were stopped at the gates by staff who politely inquired who we were (apparently, you are not allowed on the property unless you are a guest). They didn't seem to get that we were guests at the hotel, and I guess the fact that we were walking and not in a private car made them question whether we belonged there. They always seemed mildly surprised when we showed them our room key. In the end, we enjoyed our stay, but have some reservations.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Mansour Marrakech? Share your experiences!