“Fantastic Riad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis

You added Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis to your Saves list
Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   27, Derb Cherrata | Arset El Houta, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #162 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed for 7 nights at this fabulous Riad. A little hard to find at first but once you know your way around it was a short and easy walk from the main Jmema El Fna square. All the staff were friendly and upon arrival Sarah checked us in, gave us mint tea and biscuits and showed us all of the main attractions in Marrakech and some words of advice. The Riad was beautifully decorated and kept really clean, with rooms cleaned and towels changed daily, it was a cool and relaxing haven amongst the busy streets of the Medina. The Riad was safe, the safe in our room was broken and there is only a small padlock for the room yet we had nothing stolen despite leaving our vaulables quite accessible. The staff couldn't do more. On one evening when we booked an overnight excursion but we forgot to tell the Riad, Murhad even called up at 12.30am to check if we were ok and asked us why we hadn't returned. Breakfast was between 8.30-10.30 in which we were served a range of fresh homemade pancakes and breads with jams and honey, but on 2 occasions we had to leave early and asked to be served breakfast at 7.30am, Murhad got up early especially for us.

The only minor (very minor) complaints I had for the Riad was that the bedrooms were quite dim as some of the lightbulbs had blown and that the drainage in the shower and sinks were very slow but I've heard that this can happen with many places in Marrakech. The wifi connection was not very strong and I could only get access in the main lounge/pool area.

All in all, we had a wonderful experience at the Riad and would recommend it to anyone. It was great value (especially as we stayed in the cheapest Lagune room) but the most commendable were it's wonderful staff who could not do more.

Room Tip: Rooms at the bottom have good wifi access.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Riad_Oiseau_Paradis, Responsable relations clients at Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for this great comment!!! It was a pleasure to have in our riad.
I was very glad you have shared good times in Marrakech and hope so see you soon for other discoveries.

Take care
Sarah, Mouhad and girls.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My first day in Marrakech was horrible! I was suppose to come with my cousin but at the airport they told her she needed a visa because she has an ecuadorian passport so I ended coming alone. At arrival, the airline lost my luggage so I spent like 2 hours there filing a report and giving my info bla bla bla. I missed my bus to Ouarzazate so I decided to grab a cab to my riad. After uncomfortably walking to the taxi spot while the men made kissing sounds at me I tried to find someone that spoke English and after them fighting to take me to my riad I got in the cab and didn't fight the 20€ charge. Entering old town, the taxi driver asked a kid on a bike where the riad was and we ended up following the kid. The taxi driver dropped me off on the corner of an alley and practically threw my bag at me and demanded pay. I got mad and said I wouldn't pay him unless he walked me to the front door of the riad lol. He ended up walking me with a long face but whatever, I wasn't going to take the chance. At the same time a whole bunch of kids surrounded me asking me for money. I just walked straight trembling in fear of this alley. Once, Eric I believe, opened the door into the beautiful riad I felt like I was at home. When I tried to check in I noticed I printed the info on this riad that I was originally interested in but I didn't book it because it was booked for the days I needed. I felt like sitting on a corner and crying my eyes out. Everything was going wrong. He said he had 1 room just for that night available and he would help me get to the other riad I booked in the morning. After he walked me to my room everything just got better. He offered me tea and cookies and gave me all the info on the area. It was so peaceful and beautiful and he made me a delicious dinner for 20€. A little pricey but well worth it at the time. I slept very well and the next day there was a delicious breakfast waiting for me and he helped me get to my other riad. Even after I was gone he called my other riad to tell them that the airline found my luggage. Sorry to give you my whole first day experience in detail. What I'm trying to say is that the hospitality here made a horrible day I thought there was no coming back from into a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We had a flying visit to this riad for one night before leaving Morocco to come home. Upon arrival a French girl checked us in and showed us around. We don't speak any French but she spoke good English so luckily for us we were able to understand. She was helpful in offering us advice about where to go and provided a map detailing the route to the main square. The riad itself has a lovely dipping pool and communal seating area in the centre and it was kept cool by the water being sprayed from above. The roof terrace was nice enough with a few sun loungers. The room was nice and clean, the only problem being two lights weren't working making it quite dark in the bathroom especially. The rest of the staff were lovely and the man who was in charge over night did out breakfast at 7:30am (usual start at 9) so we could eat before our flight. If paying by card just double check amount as the staff were genuinely unsure if how to use the card machine and we ended up doing it for them! But it was fine. Great stay overall!

• Stayed August 2013
Hello,

Happy to hnow that you had a great stay. It was a real pleasure to have you here. Thank you for this beautiful comment.
Ps: I will check this lights ;).

Sarah, Mouhad and girls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

In such a hectic city we were extremely amazed to find such a peaceful place to stay. Within the hustle bustle of the Medina was a relaxing and quiet riad. Mint tea and biscuits on arrival (every time you walk in) by the reflection pool, great for cooling your feet!
Rooms are great and clean, free wifi, towels etc. Very helpful staff, and mist falling from the roof in the terrace area to cool off... Oh also air con in some rooms (perhaps ask for it specifically).

Be sure to ask for a car to bring you from the airport so you don't need to worry about a taxi. We got a taxi but he dropped us off around the corner and we got lost (and if you ask for directions in Morocco it is considered a service and you must pay). The location is actually on Derb Cherrata. Arset El Houta, while being a road itself, is actually the area.

Room Tip: Ask for air conditioning if you desire it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you very much for this comment. And for the address advise.

Sarah,Mouhad and girls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 7 nights at the end of July (2013) and loved it. It's the perfect distance away from all the action of the main square (10 mins easy walk) but we felt incredibly calm (and safe from the constant attention of the locals!) when we were inside the riad.

We took full advantage of the sun terrace and plunge pool, and felt no qualms about wandering around in our swimwear inside the riad, despite reservations at first that this would not be respectful of the culture.

The staff were all incredibly helpful, especially Mouad who looked after us perfectly - bringing us mint tea, beer and wine whenever we asked for it. The breakfast was lovely - different types of traditional pancakes with toast, jam, marmalade and honey. At times we also had fresh fruit and cake too!

I would say that a basic understanding of French phrases would be useful - my French is limited to the remnants of my high school French and I definitely can't speak in full sentences but key words were useful. At times I understood more than I could reply to but it was really useful to be able to do even just that.

My only other comment would be to be aware of the fact that there is no door between the bathroom and bedroom, only a curtain. This is fine for couples and even good friends, but just be aware that there is a slight lack of privacy.

Overall, a delightful place to stay with lovely staff and superb value for money.

• Stayed July 2013
Hello,

Thank you for this beautiful comment. I was very pleased to have you here and happy that you spent a great time with us.

Take care
Sarah ,Mouhad and girls
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and loved it. The Riad organised a transfer from the airport is a good idea, as the driver walks you right to the door. It cost 150 dihrums (15 euros), pretty reasonable. The Riad is in an excellent location, has very pretty decor, nice food, and is an extremely tranquil place to stay.

There were about eight rooms or so altogether, and it was a beautiful and relaxing place despite being so close to the loud and busy center of the city. There is a small plunge pool on the ground floor (which we used a lot as it is SO hot), and lots cute tables and sofas where you eat breakfast (between 8 and 10am). The breakfast mainly consists of toast, french toast, pancakes, fresh fruit etc, I don't think you can get a cooked breakfast.

We stayed on the first floor, which consists of a balcony surrounding an open space so you can look down onto the ground floor and plunge pool (so it is all open air). The same is true for the next floor up. Our room was lovely, large bed and spacious with a nice shower room, which was all we needed. There are more rooms up on the second floor, shaded sofas for napping, then a terrace area on the third floor for sunbathing.

The staff were lovely and friendly, though they do not speak much English. You can get by with only speaking English, but just about. They can suggest nice places to eat which I would highly recommend doing, and can organise excursions (camel rides, mountain trips etc). Overall the Riad is a complete oasis, a real contrast with craziness of Marrakech itself, and is beautifully decorated throughout with ornaments, pictures, carpets and more. I think it is targeted at couples and solo travellers, not so much families and large groups of friends.

In terms of the city itself, the main square and souks are a must. There are great places to eat at low prices as well. Try to haggle for everything, sometimes you can get away with half price or even less, especially in the souks. As a tourist you get a lot of attention it has to be said, and you tend to spend a lot of time telling people 'no'. The Riad is just 10-15 minutes walk from the main square, if that. People expect tips for everything so try and get away with not asking people where to find a good bar that serves alcohol (there are not that many in the medina) or similar questions to do with directions, as they will take you there and expect to be paid for it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you for this complete and beautiful comment. Everything is explained. Happy to see that you spent a gret times here in the riad and Marrakech.

Sarah, Mouhad and girls
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here for almost a week. The staff is really nice, the rooms are relatively large and charming, and the pool area is a great place to relax in mid-day or in the evening. Staying in the Medina is the way to go if you're visiting Marrakech, but it is also very hectic and exhasting to navagate. This Riad is a great place to escape from the streets of the Medina, and we really enjoyed our stay.
Apparently there are regulations that prohibit full size pools in the Medina Riads, so this hotel had a dipping pool, but it was decently sized and it was a great way to cool down. The rooms were quite at night, and they had nice details and decor. The staff was really nice. We were traveling with our one year old baby, and everyone working there played with him and were super child-friendly. The cooks/cleaning staff really liked our baby, and they even asked to take photos posing with him before we left.
The only negative is that it was about a 10 minute walk to the main square. Not a big deal, but most things seem to revolve around that square (taxis pick up near there, all the food kiosks are there, etc) so it would be better if the hotel was a little closer. That said I would highly recommend this Riad to anyone visiting Marrakesh, and I would stay there again if I went back for another visit. It was a good value and lovely place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Riad_Oiseau_Paradis, Gérant at Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for this nice comment!
I hope you are well?
we must return quickly, our great love we miss you!
your child is magical!