“A traditional and inspiring experience” 5 of 5 stars

+212 672-812046
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: In Marrakech, Ateliers d'ailleurs offers a truly authentic DISCOVERY of Moroccan culture by approaching it from the perspective of traditional skills (crafts, cooking, wellness, culture), to discover, enjoy, have fun , share, create, ... On the program: a few hours of practice until Workshops Internship several days, all in a simple and authentic atmosphere, far away from mass tourism activities. Ateliers d'Ailleurs is part of the philosophy of social entrepreneurship in pursuing social and cultural aims of two kinds: - To develop income-generating activities for people who master traditional know-how, who wish better value but do not have the means - Assist in the preservation of traditional knowledge by allowing people who practice them to live
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“A traditional and inspiring experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Learning to do pottery with Mohamed has been an experience I will never forget . Thank you Nathalie and Nahid for your wonderful organisation and flexibility. I enjoyed my "stage" immensely and learned a lot from Mohamed, from the beginning, he was always welcoming, explaining techniques well and being very open and friendly with me.

I spent one week (5 days) in Mohammed's workshop learning about the initial stages from making the clay to it's preparation for "tournage". I started slowly, but with Mohammed's guidance I was able to produce plates, bowls, goblets and even mini tajines! One of the highlights for me was the 'emaillage' and painting stage. After making my articles, they were left to cook in the oven and after this, I was able to proceed to painting them. I used traditional designs (which I copied from a book) as well as with Mohammed's guidance to paint the objects. In the end, I was incredibly happy as to how they turned out and I am immensely proud of what I achieved in a short space of time.

Not only did the experience allow me to learn about traditional Moroccan pottery but I was also exposed to learning more about Moroccan culture and customs. I picked up some Arabic from Mohammed as well and we had fun trying to understand each other
Everything from Mohamed's workshop, the teaching and to Nahid's patience, translation and support it was all perfect! I can't recommend this experience enough and if you are interested in really gaining greater understanding of a traditional craft then I encourage anyone to take a course over more days.

Thank you all for a wonderful time!

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“A fantastic opportunity!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I signed up for two workshops with Ateliers d'Ailleurs while we were in Marrakech this past week. What a brilliant experience!

We did the brassware workshop in the morning. We met our guide Nahid outside of the Palais Dar El Bacha and were promptly led to a workshop in the souks, where we were greeted by the ubiquitous mint tea. We got down to work , hammering sheets of brass into beautiful candle holders. Next, we moved to another, smaller studio, where we were shown how to do brass etching, with another glass of mint tea. This was incredibly difficult, but our instructor was patient and helpful and we ended up with a pair of beautiful candle holders.

Nahid was kind enough to walk us through the souks, across the square and to the Ensemble Artisinal, where we were met by Anas for our second workshop, jewelery making. We sat in a shop within the complex and were taught how to use tiny saws to create silver Moroccan pendants. Our instructors were very patient with us, especially when we kept snapping the saw blades!

Overall, this was an amazing experience and fantastic value for money, as the workshops included professional instruction by local artists, a guide/ translator, all supplies, and a delicious snack.

Visited May 2013
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Excellent authentic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had a wonderful time learning to cook some of the traditional Moroccan dishes with Ateliers d'Ailleurs. Anas our guide was fantastic and really made the overall experience! Would highly recommend if you are looking for a very authentic insight into Moroccan cooking and way of life.

Melbourne, Australia
“Learning the art of Calligraphy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I have done western style calligraphy before so i thought this would be a chance to do an extention to my previous work and perhaps be able to incorporate it into my art work. I was met by Anas and taken to a rooftop overlooking Marrekech. The artisan started me off slowly and was very patient with the scawling marks I made on the paper which initially were very clumsy. He even thought of different ways to make the letters so I could achieve good results, the mark of an excellent teacher! I was the only person in the class so got individual attention but it was also an intense period of concentration. Anas didn't do the calligraphy, his role was to translate into English all of the steps in making the strokes. We drank water and had Morrocan Mint tea. and I came away with many practice sheets and an alphabet to practice when I return home. Both young men were intelligent, pleasant and I came away with a fantastic experience and memory.I would highly reccommend the experience.

Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A chance to try a new craft.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

As a craft teacher myself I wanted to try something completely new and traditional while in Marrakech. Polished lime plasterwork pots can be found in many different places, and most hotels, restaurants and Riads will have walls and floors finished in the same hard, waterproof material. My wife and I were picked up by our guide translator from our Riad and taken 20 minutes out of the city to the " village of potters" and the workshop of our young 26yr old teacher. Over the next two hours we experienced the frustration, and eventually the satisfaction of each making two beautiful pots to take away with us. I was rather disappointed that there was no refreshment of any kind offered during our time there and the toilet facilities were primitive to say the least, being just a ceramic hole in the ground in a small cubicle without lights. We did however enjoy watching the process of making traditional building bricks, from the factory workshop roof. At the end of the session, we asked for the chance to took at the factory shop, and bought several additional pieces at less than half of the best prices we had seen in the Souks.
Looking back on it, it was a great experience, a manufacturing environment not a hotel facility, and providing you take your own refreshments, very worth while and good value

Visited April 2013
nath-ateliers, Propriétaire at Ateliers d'Ailleurs, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Adrian,
We thank you very much for your feedback.
According to your profession of craft teacher, Ateliers d'ailleurs is very sensitive to your opinion, especially to the educational dimension of our services.
We are very pleased that the learning went well and that you were able to realize your two objects each - which we did not doubt! ;)
We create specific programs based on specific technical and times chosen by the participants, which ensures the efficiency of our trainings.

About refreshments, we expect the introduction of a snack kit in the coming weeks, containing a bottle of water and a bag of traditional cakes (made ​​by the instructors of our cooking classes - delicious!).
As for the toilets,there are some next to the workshop, at the café restaurant; we regret that your assistant didn't propose it to you. We are going to go over this point again with the team!

A big thank you for your trust and for your contribution to the communication of Ateliers d'ailleurs services.
Cheers, Nathalie