“little gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad & Spa Mabrouk

You added Riad & Spa Mabrouk to your Saves list
Riad & Spa Mabrouk
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Rue Bani Marine | à côté de cinema mabrouka, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #80 of 191 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
LONDON
“little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

My husband booked this riad over the phone and we had no clue as to the location but it turned out to be a real gem,the location is king for this place, if you want to see marrakech location is important and you coulnt be better placed. The manager zaha was lovley and made sure we felt at home and really we did.
It is one of the most beautiful places ive ever expereinced for sure we had a suite which is worth the extra slpash if your a couple, but the double rooms are ok too.
most rooms can be made into twins.
the spa and hammam was great and i throughly enjoyed it.
in the evenings in the hotel live music plays which is beautiful. in all you wont be dissapointed.
The only one thing that was a bit dissapointing was breakfast as it is a little limited but we sorted this by buying the stuff we wanted from local shops.i really enjoyed it its worth every penny i spent so thanks to all at the riad x

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

After a rather negative experience the night before, we stumbled upon this Riad & Spa close to the famous 'Djemaa el Fna', the big square and market of Marrakech.

Immediately after we agreed to stay our room was prepared: 2 separate beds were put up. The room was a little small, but typical Moroccan and with all facilities we had in mind.
We asked the guy at the reception desk about the possibilities for a 'hamam' and massage in the evening. He explained prices and options and we decided to come back in the evening for a complete treatment. For it was still noon, we then left the hotel for an excursion.

Hours later and exhausted by the long walk we arrived again at the reception desk just to hear that the hamam was already closed. 'But what about the timetable the guy had told us at noon?!' We left disappointed for our room. But within 5 minutes the lady of the evening shift knocked on the door to tell that she had been able to convoke the personal of the hamam.

A long story short: we were treated like kings. The masseuses were very qualified and an hour later we felt born again. Even the manager came along to see if everything was OK now.
Afterwards we took a fine meal in the restaurant and felt strong again to stroll another couple of hours in the city.

This is our conclusion: the staff and manager of the Riad and Spa Mabrouk strained themselves to give the best possible experience. Whatever your wishes, they try to find the right solution. They are surrounded by waitresses and maids who work hard to get everything in order. The Riad is located close to the places where it happens. The rooms are nice and clean. The restaurant is ok and the hamam & massage are highly recommended.

Room Tip: Every room is different. We experienced number 15 to be small. Ask for nr. 20 or take one of the sui...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Montgomery
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We were recomended to try this by the owner of our Riad after finding the place around the corner was shut. Just away from the main square we left the noise behind us as we slipped inside. We were not dissappointed, attractive decor, good food and wines and pleasant live music. A bit more expensive than we'd expected but worth it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We originally made the mistake of booking a hotel called riad esprie du moroc and after two horrible nights stumbled across the riad mabrouk, we explained the situation to Zara ( hotel manager) who was very friendly and hospitable and made us feel welcome straight away, we immediately checked out of esprie du moroc and checked into the riad mabrouk!! the hotel is beautiful,clean and the service was second to none! We stayed there for 3 nights and enjoyed the delicious food from the restaurant! The staff were exceptional especially fatitha and Mohammed who want out of there way to help us and make us feel welcome as well as cater to our every need. The location is excellent less than a stones throw from the hustle and bustle of the main square, the bedrooms are divine, beautifully decorated with gorgeous ensuite! I went with my husband and mother in law and they both loved it and we are planning our second trip back now!! I would highly recommend this hotel interns of the hotel,service and location!!! If anyone has any questions about it your more than welcome to email me @ fareea0303@hotmail.co.uk in a country were people love to rip you off these guys stand apart from the rest!!! Very happy and grateful to the staff!!

Room Tip: Go for the suites they are divine and worth every penny!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Marlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

A warning to all who try the Mabrouk.... I had a lovely hammam/massage and would recommend that to anyone. My complaint lies with the total inefficiency and lack of basic courtesy of the staff, following my loss of a necklace in the spa.
So admittedly, it was my mistake to leave the necklace behind in the spa locker, as I rushed to dress as my taxi was waiting to take my partner and I to the airport. I was extremely upset when I realised what had happened, as this particular piece of jewellery was so precious to me, having been given to me years ago with great love. I feel it as a very personal loss. Imagine how happy I was was when I called the Mabrouk and was told that they had it and would post it to me. Since then however, 7 weeks ago, I have heard nothing and received nothing, and the staff refuse to reply to any of my emails or faxes. It is terrible customer service on their part and I have totally lost faith with the Mabrouk now, and feel very let down by them. All I wanted was a one-line reply by email to my enquiries about my necklace, but they never, ever replied. This tells me that the staff there simply can't be bothered, as there is nothing in it for them... we stayed there, paid for our time and now we have left they don't really care.I now am not even sure that it was ever posted. So be careful with your possessions if staying at the Mabrouk... my necklace was not precious or expensive, but meant a great deal to me.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We booked this hammam/black soap, scrub, hair wash and 30min massage for 2 people for 600Dirham via internet 24 hours prior to our spa experience. We were on holidays at Aqua Fun Park hotel from 22-29 June, and were hoping to get a nice massage while in Marrakech. The 5*hotel claimed to have a spa but, like some other facilities, wasn't open yet. The taxi&excursion agent located at the hotel lobby also claimed to be able to arrange a spa experience for 2 of us but they never got back to us with any further details.
While touring the city one night we came across this spa, just opposite the night market - webiste has a very clear location map - walked in and asked for massage. We were showed a price list (set so no need to haggle the price) and were able to book our spa even with 24hours notice via email.
We came in at 4pm. Were showed to a changing room with a locker for our bags&clothes. We got the key, too, so very safe. Rooms were beautifully decorated, and smelled of essential oils and candles. We changed into bathrobes, and you get your knickers & slippers. No need to bring your own!
1. You walk into a hammam room first (we were together with my partner apart from the massage where we took each turns)
2. You sit in the steamed room for 5min then the lady comes in and soaps your body from head to toes.
3. She left us for 10min to make your skin soft with black soap applied earlier
4. She comes back to give you a rinse with loads of pleasantly warm water from the basin.
5. Then, you lie on the marble bed and you get a scrub with a glove that is brought sealed, 1 for each person
5. You get a rinse again, and then the lady washes your body with body gel and does the same to your hair with a gentle massage.
6. You get a final rinse standing up, and she passes you a robe to go to a relaxing room to rest for 10min
7. The room is fitted with a TV, soft hammam beds and soft music for your relaxation
8. Then comes time for your 30min massage from head to toes, applied with a gentle touch of essential oils. You do it on the back and then on the front. Every muscle, including your toes, fingers, and even ears are massaged
9. You are allowed 10-15min resting time in the next door room and then you get changed

We were finished by 5:35pm and it was an experience I would recommend to anybody!

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We didn't stay at the Riad but visited the restaurant with 2 friends on Thursday, 5 May, around 8.15 pm. Our welcome from 2 waiters was warm, the courtyard style riad restaurant charming and ornate, with traditional tunes played by two musicians. We wanted to try the traditional dish 'pastilla' which we ordered x 4, which were well cooked and surprisingly filling, plus 2 large salads, at a reasonable cost. On requesting a wine list, we were told none existed, but were invited to view the wines in the corner cabinet. After discussion with the waiter we chose a Cuvee du President rose, price unmarked, which we forgot to query. Big mistake! Every similar restaurant wine we had previously ordered had cost around 120 dirhams (approx £10). When we requested the bill, which was not written down but delivered via the waiter's mouth, we couldn't believe how it could total 965 (£74) dirhams for such simple food. On questioning the waiter, he advised us that the wine had cost 350 dirhams (approx. £28). As the bill still did not seem to tally, we managed to get the waiter to reluctantly list the items with prices and there was still a discrepancy of some 45 dirhams (£3.60) , which he lamely claimed to be 'service charge'. It would not have even been 10% of the quoted total, so this seemed unlikely. It seemed he was just making it up as he went along. Although pleasant, this was not a top end wine and our tour courier advised us next day it was double normal cost. He thought the waiter just made up the price to see if he could get away with it at our expense and because we'd forgotten to check first, we had no option but to pay. In contrast to our welcome, there was not even a 'goodnight' or 'thank you' when we left - what a surprise! We'd had a nice meal in lovely surroundings which was marred only by the grasping behaviour of the staff. I would be interested to know what the response would be to these practices from the relatively recent owners, a French couple I believe.

Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Riad & Spa Mabrouk? Share your experiences!