“A great little Riad with great service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad azalia

You added Riad azalia to your Saves list
Riad azalia
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   66 Derb Jamaa | Riad Zitoun Lakdim, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #46 of 205 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Reykjavik, Iceland
“A great little Riad with great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Riad Azalia was our first stop in Morocco. This was our first time in the country and although we had done some preparing through the Internet, Marrakech was bigger, louder and livelier that I had expected. That is why it was great to have the help and advice of Andrea and Adil.
I was able to contact Andrea via email before our trip and she always answered my questions and was very helpful. Adil is an experienced guide for many years and his recommendations and suggestions were spot on all the time. In short, they helped ease two inexperienced Europeans into the Moroccan way of life and it made our trip much easier and more enjoyable.
The room we stayed in was clean and cozy and the breakfast on the terrasse was a great way to start your day. There is a mosque right next door to the Riad and the prayers do wake you up early in the morning, but I loved it and actually missed it when back home.
The location is also great, it is close to Jamal El Fna and the souks so there's a lot to see and do all in walking distance from the Riad.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

The location of this raid is excellent, a short walk from the main square. Despite assurances from the new management (see review from aug 2011), this riad still felt as though it is going to be run as cheaply as possible. The young fellow at reception is nice enough, but the managers need to give him a bit more guidance to make him more effective. The design of the riad leaves it open to being a bit noisy - particularly the use of a door bell which can be rung any time day or night. The room we stayed in felt run down even though it had a few new touches to try and lift it a bit. Breakfast on the terrace is nice.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

This place gave us such a positive experience in Morocco. Admittedly we were a little tired after a week of Chefchouen and Fez: tired of bartering for everything, tired of having to be on the alert, tired of being wary of the possibility of being ripped off. At Riad Azalia we felt like the hosts Andrea and Adil were on our side. Their recommendations (eg for desert safari/hamman/Atlas trek) were honest and helpful and not designed to gain them commissions. The hosts achieved the balance between being friendly and professional. They are very experienced in dealing with foreigners and knowing what non-Moroccans expect. We could leave our passports/electronic gear at the riad with no fear of them disappearing. The hosts were what made this place so comforting for us, however in addition the building is gorgeous, well-decorated clean rooms, heating provided, hot showers, enjoyable breakfast, lovely staff. As it was winter I loved that they used a heater to warm up the central atrium. We did a two day Atlas trek thanks to Adil's recommendation which became the highlight of our entire trip (magnificent views of snow-capped mountains, great guide, walking through little villages with no car access, family home-stay). Wifi connection was good/fast (only avail on ground floor common area and in some ground floor rooms). Thanks to Riad Azalia and Adil and Andrea we loved Marrakech and Morocco and had a great holiday experience.

Room Tip: Use ear plugs: there is a mosque next door, although I liked listening to the call to prayer
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Andrea E, Manager at Riad azalia, responded to this review, January 2, 2012

Its guests like yourselves that make our experience as Riad hosts so enjoyable. We hope to see you again one day, here or in Australia.

All the best, Andrea, Adil and staff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

We have visited Marrakech 5 times over the past 12 years, and Riad Azalia has been by far the best place we've stayed in. The owners, Andrea and Adil, as the rest of the staff, were extremely friendly and professional, and willing to help us have the best stay in every possible way.

The riad's location is ideal, tucked away in a nice derb very close to Jemaa El Fna, which allows you to pop in whenever needed during your day out.
It is an oasis of peace and quiet right next to the bustle. You can't hear ANYTHING at night.

The raid is tastefully decorated with traditional Moroccan architecture features like zellige and tadelakt, lovely colours, lamps and textiles. The whole atmosphere is very harmonic and real, unlike other phony-feeling places in town.

A fresh and complete breakfast is served on the terrace, where you can just chill-out anytime of day, as in the inner courtyard.

We were traveling with our 8-month-old baby, and found that everyone was helpful and understanding in heating meals, serving dinner in the courtyard next to our room, leaving the pram anywhere, etc. She was lovingly spoiled in everybody's arms!

The morning we were leaving, Andrea came in on purpose to serve us a full breakfast just outside our room at 7 am.

We really felt at home and relaxed not just in our room but everywhere in the riad. The best feature by far are the owners Adil and Andrea. They are just so dedicated, professional and honest. And you can ask them anything you need about Marrakech, in French, English or Spanish(at least), and will get top advice.
We will definitely be back to them if we return to Marrakech, and recommend the experience to everyone.

• Stayed December 2011
Andrea E, Manager at Riad azalia, responded to this review, January 2, 2012

as a family ourselves we love that we can make another family happy and relaxed in the Riad after they enjoy the chaos and colourful life outside our doors in the Medina.

We are looking forward to seeing you again,

Kindest regards,

Andrea, Adil and Staff
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

I have travelled all my life and I can say this is one of the best places I have stayed!

1. LOCATION: only 1 minute from the central market place. Once, you get to Marrakech, you will realize that it is almost a mission to get around and not get lost! LOCATION is the key when you decide on your riad. I had no problem getting around from/to Riad as it was so centrally located and whenever I bought some heavy souvenirs, I went back to my room to drop them off.

2. HOSPITALITY: I arrived all alone in the evening so I was a bit scared to find my way to the Riad. However, the owner of Riad personally came to the parking lot area to pick me up then once we got to Riad, he showed me the rooftop w/ mint tea and thouroughly explained what to see in Marrakech on a map. Then, I asked whether I could get some money exchanged and eat dinner- he walked me to the exchange place then showed me where restaurants were.
This Riad's real charm is its owners. They are a young couple, who took over the lease 3 months ago. They are so honest, hard-working, sincere and kind that I genuinely wish them the best w/ their new business. IF you have any question, you can ask them anytime and they speak English, French, Spanish...etc. you name it.

3. BREAKFAST on the terrace: it is included in the room rate (EUR 50~70 depending on the room type and the season). They serve you yogurt, fresh bread w/ french butter, jams & cheese, FRESHLY squeezed orange juice, a pot of coffee/tea and sweet pastry. I stayed in Marrakech for 6 days and breakfast was the best moment of each day. :-)

4. Clean room w/ free WIFI & lovely patio: rooms are clean and well organized. It is not 5 star hotel but it was good enough for me and my friend to stay 6 days without any issue. Shower had good hote water, and i could get free wifi anywhere in the riad. I even left my ipad on the balcony as i knew it would be all safe. You will feel at home in this place. In the evening, you can sit on the roof terrace having some tea and watch the sunset...or enjoy the fountain in the patio area. It is like an Oasis in the middle of bustling Marrakech - you will understand once you get to Marrakech (it is insanely busy/bustling and you will find the air polluted because of the motorbikes!)

All in all, I highly recommend this place if you want to spend some day in Marrakech. Also, they book taxi service for you from/to the airport for 15EUR so you know you are in good hand.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Andrea E, Owner at Riad azalia, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for your lovely review. We are very happy you and your friend enjoyed your stay with us. You were a pleasure to have as our guests and we hope we will see you again one day.
Best regards,
Abdul, Andrea and staff.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

Thank god I found this place! I loved it! The minute I walked in, I got a great vibe. After a bit of friendly banter/bargaining they gave us a discount on the room rate so we could afford to stay there on our travellers budget (hence the 5 star Value rating otherwise it's probably a 4 star Value rating). So we got our bags and moved in. The room was clean, large and well furnished. The bed was big and comfortable. The bathroom was also big and clean, but the shower head kinda sucked. The breakfast was the best breakfast I had in my 1 month in Morocco. Homemade crepes, bread, jam, butter, egg, fresh squeezed orange juice and a WHOLE carafe of tasty coffee! They have wifi. At the time we were there they were changing the router so you could get wifi in the rooms instead of only in the downstairs lounge. Communication was not a problem as Yasine, their incredibly nice main employee, speaks English and can help you with everything. As with the rest of Morocco, speaking French makes things 100x easier as the cleaning lady and even one of the owners didn't speak English, but I never felt any rudeness while staying here as opposed to almost every other place I stayed. So all in all I really have nothing bad to say about this place. There's a first time for everything :)

Room Tip: room 4 had a window in the bathroom
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Felice del Benaco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

We stayed in this nice Riad for 4 nights. It is less than 5 min walking from the place Jeema El Fna and from here you can walk everywhere in Marrakech.
The Riad is really nice, there is a beautiful terrace where you can have breakfast and the rooms are all quite nice. We were in the smallest one at the ground floor but was quite good, there are no relevant differences among all the rooms but in some of them there is also air conditioning (which you don't need in February).
The price are not really so cheap but before coming here we visited other 5 Riads and this was the best quality/price ratio.
The room was enough cleaned but not really perfect.
The staff was really friendly...the lady who cooks is fantastic and you could discover it at breakfast!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple