“Beware!! Avoid at all costs!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #366 of 453 activities in Marrakech
Type: Landmarks/ Points of Interest
Attraction Details
London, England, United Kingdom
“Beware!! Avoid at all costs!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was looking forward to experiencing this hammam which was recommended in HG2 guidebook. I am a seasoned hammam worshipper, visiting one in either Marrakech or Istanbul or Bodrun at least once a year, often twice a year, for the last 10 years.
Les Secrets looks good from the outside, but as they say- never judge a book but it's cover. Once behind the calm and elegant exterior,I was pushed into the steam room and onto the heated stone and then left for a long time not knowing what to expect. Eventually a non- English speaking therapist came in. She might possibly have been the same woman another reviewer mentioned as she certainly had a "can't be bothered" attitude. My most clear description of her treatment is to say she treated me like a horse - scrubbing me with unnecessary vigour including over my more vulnerable private parts and yanking my head harsh back with my hair. My screaming and saying "no" resulted in her temporarily stopping the scrubbing and instead throwing cold and then hot water over me. I was too disorientated and in pain to run. She kept saying "are you ok" without waiting to hear any of my replies. She then went back to scrubbing me, including over my private parts again. I sat up and tried to run out at which point she threw more cold water over me and then finally letting me out of the room.
Unfortunately my bad experience doesn't stop there. When I tried to explain to her she had hurt me she refused to accept this had been the case and actually suggested that it was in fact my body parts that were faulty!
The girl at the desk apologised but still felt it was ok to ask for full payment. In my distressed state I paid and had only one intention which was to get out of the spa. It was my husband who, on seeing me in this somewhat traumatised state, decided I ought to be refunded. Obtaining the full refund took 2 different visits and finally a threat that he involve the hotel guide or the police for the very bad treatment I received. The refund was eventually made resentfully
The excuse given by the receptionist was that the therapist didn't speak English and therefore might not have understood my screams and saying " no" repeatedly! Very sadly I could not sleep for the next 2 nights from the pain of having been scratched so badly. My 5 day break was completely ruined by having had this experience. I am not back in the UK and it is coming up to 3 weeks since the scrubbing from hell. I have been to my GP to check that there is no permanent damage done from this experience. I am still in pain, albeit not to the same extent that I am kept from sleep. Avoid this hammam at all costs.....

Visited February 2013

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Worst experience we had in Marrakech!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

After coming recommended in the lonely planet guide we were sure we were in for a blissful afternoon of relaxation......we were so wrong!!!! My boyfriend and I decided on the traditional hammam, body wrap and massage which was 480 dirham each. We arrived and were shown into a small room to change into our swimwear. We were then led to the Hammam room which had a hot stone ledge for you to sit on, this was so hot i could hardly sit on it. A women then came in and threw a bucket of cold water over our heads with no prior warning......not relaxing. The women seemed to have a little bit of a 'cant be bothered' attitude and later when I was unsure where to go, walked behind me and pushed me down a corridor!!!! We were then sat in a room with a burnt sofa and a halogen heater to 'relax' and have a mint tea before our massage. At this point I thought it couldn't get any worse.....how wrong I was!!! We were taken into separate rooms for our massage, my lady applied no pressure what so ever and all I could here was the coughing of the masseuse next door. I actually didn't have it as bad as my boyfriend though who was the one being coughed all over for 30 minutes!!! We said something to the manager about this however were just asked to put our card in the machine whilst she said sorry!!!!! Just to let you know we are a young couple (mid twenties) and really easy going, it takes a lot for us to complain, but this was truly awful, apart from this experience we loved Marrakech!!!

Visited January 2013
“Heaven in the hustle of Marrakesh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

It was my first experience, but had heard from friends so decided to give it a go.
Found this spa locally to hotel and I can highly recommend. 10/10. Friendly staff. Great facilities. Relaxing. Yet fully scrubbed!
Can't stop touching my silky skin. I will return to marrakesh just for another spa.
Yes it's dark, yes it's rough, yes it's very different to UK spa's, but worth every penny & I've looked up Moroccan spa's in UK already and looking forward to the comparison. A must if you wish the full Moroccan experience.

Luton
“memorable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Visited this spa whilst on a short break in marrakesh. Had the full package, hamman, body scrub, body butter and massage. The massage was excellent, very relaxing and the whole package was really good value, but the hamman did feel a little bit claustraphobic.. very dark walls, floor and ceiling..although after explaining that I felt a bit panicky, they did leave the door open.. overall, a nice experience and good value.

Visited September 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Sloppy, underwhelming and a bit of a rip-off (well, expensive at least)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

The Hg2 guidebook sent my girlfriend and I to Les Secrets; they had spoken glowingly about this Spa/hammam. Sadly it was a pretty dour experience, despite the some good efforts from (some of) the staff.

The place is a converted house/shopfront in the New City. It's cramped and looking tired. There's plenty of black paint where there might have been marble in a more authentic hammam. The front desk guided me through the menu of treatments. We looked at the whole brochure and selected the traditional options: hammam scrub, mud pack and massage.it looked expensive but we had been told it was worth any extra...

The hammam had run out of candles so the light was on which detracted from the ambience. Only one member of staff ran us through the first two stages - so we were waiting turns. There was no kneading with black soap - only a scrub with a back mitten - and there was ipby enough mud for a thin coating of bits of us. I suspect enough for one person was spread between two of us...

My massage was good - she had strong hands and worked hard. Great. My girlfriends was inexperienced and not strong at all. She gave it a four out of ten.

Paying on the way out my girlfriend saw some package deals advertised; this was despite the fact that I had asked about packages and was told 'No'. Ugh, whatever relaxation had resulted from a competent massage evaporated instantly...

There are some good public hammams and some stylish private ones in Marrakesh - please don't wste your time and money here unless you have to....

Visited April 2011