“memorable” 4 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Luton
“memorable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Visited this spa whilst on a short break in marrakesh. Had the full package, hamman, body scrub, body butter and massage. The massage was excellent, very relaxing and the whole package was really good value, but the hamman did feel a little bit claustraphobic.. very dark walls, floor and ceiling..although after explaining that I felt a bit panicky, they did leave the door open.. overall, a nice experience and good value.

Visited September 2011

London, United Kingdom
“Sloppy, underwhelming and a bit of a rip-off (well, expensive at least)”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2011

The Hg2 guidebook sent my girlfriend and I to Les Secrets; they had spoken glowingly about this Spa/hammam. Sadly it was a pretty dour experience, despite the some good efforts from (some of) the staff.

The place is a converted house/shopfront in the New City. It's cramped and looking tired. There's plenty of black paint where there might have been marble in a more authentic hammam. The front desk guided me through the menu of treatments. We looked at the whole brochure and selected the traditional options: hammam scrub, mud pack and massage.it looked expensive but we had been told it was worth any extra...

The hammam had run out of candles so the light was on which detracted from the ambience. Only one member of staff ran us through the first two stages - so we were waiting turns. There was no kneading with black soap - only a scrub with a back mitten - and there was ipby enough mud for a thin coating of bits of us. I suspect enough for one person was spread between two of us...

My massage was good - she had strong hands and worked hard. Great. My girlfriends was inexperienced and not strong at all. She gave it a four out of ten.

Paying on the way out my girlfriend saw some package deals advertised; this was despite the fact that I had asked about packages and was told 'No'. Ugh, whatever relaxation had resulted from a competent massage evaporated instantly...

There are some good public hammams and some stylish private ones in Marrakesh - please don't wste your time and money here unless you have to....

Visited April 2011
S.Wales
“Made me feel so refreshed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

I went along to the spa during my stay in Marrakesh, hoping to feel refreshed after a tiring three days exploring the city. I tried in vain to find Les Baines de Marrakesh and La Sultana Spa, so settled with Les Secrets because it was down the road from my hotel, Hotel Agdal. The staff were really friendly and the lady on reception spoke good English. My friend came with me but she wasn’t keen on getting a treatment so very kindly, the staff took her to the relaxation room”, which is a small room with sofas and magazines. I didn’t pre-book but I got the impression that they fitted me in, so maybe calling in a day in advance would be advisable. I went for the gommage treatment, which is 200DM – about £16. This is a traditional Moroccan thing and most spas do it. Luckily, I was pre-advised to wear a bikini and to take extra underwear because the treatment involves a lot of water!

I was taken to a changing room where I put my clothes in a locker (with a key) and put on a provided dressing gown and flip flops. There was also a cloth in the locker waiting for me, which I later realised was for my hair – not that that would have protected it from a soaking! After that, a lady led me to a very dark and tranquil room. The spa is mainly black, so everywhere is quite dark! There was a lot of water around, on the floor, dripping etc, but I found that relaxing. It was also quite hot and the marble services absorbed the heat nicely.

The lady doing my treatment couldn’t speak much English so I gestured whether she wanted me to take my bikini top off and she sort of gestured back it was up to me (I think!) I took it off anyway though. In a candelit side room, there was an overflowing pool, which she dipped a bucket in, tested the temperature on my hand, and then without much warning, poured all over me! I thought it was great, but some people might find this approach rather alarming! She did this a few more times before rubbing the black soapy oily stuff on me. She then left me in the room, shutting the door, for around 5 minutes. Then I lay in the first room on a marble bed and she scrubbed me with the exfoliating glove and then rinsed me with a hand-held shower and the three showers above my head. She washed my face and I was wearing contact lenses, so be aware that some people may be more comfortable taking these out. She also washed my hair, this may have been because I didn’t have the cloth on, and I didn’t see a hair-dryer.

The treatment ended with me going to the relaxation room for a mint tea and I felt really great, very refreshed and so clean after the stresses of Marrakesh! I’d definitely recommend it.