“like home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #586 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Chania
“like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We, two couples, spent 6 days in this beautiful Riad this April. It is very cosy, well decorated and clean. Its position is ideal for me, in a very original and relatively quiet area inside the medina, 10-15 minutes walk NW from Jemaa el Fna. Its greatest advantage is the personnel, which is very friendly,distinctive, helpful and kind...really wonderful people. It offers a delicious breakfast as well, which you will need it, if you are intent on wandering in the medina. A great choice.

Room Tip: Prefer the upper suites, green and brown, although the other bedrooms are nice as well.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

We found our own way to Riad Zenithya, which is no small feat. We arrived mid morning, were welcomed with tea, and were told our room was not ready and we should return after 12, and we would find our room ready and our luggage inside it.

We came back at 1:30pm, and were told our room wasn't ready. I asked the manager about a nearby orphanage that we had brought gifts for. I knew it was somewhere right near the Riad but not exactly where. The medina is very confusing and difficult to navigate. The manager took the name and said she would find out. A few minutes later, they said our room was ready. I asked about our luggage and was told that I should bring it up myself. The room was nicely decorated with a comfortable bed. It was smaller than than I thought given the pictures and the bathroom door was a curtain, but we settled in, and were fine with making a go of it.

When we went back downstairs, the manager told me the orphanage was very nearby and that it was closed today and she would call for me on Monday. She said she would like to go with me and see this place, which I agreed to. She also told me that she had called her boss and that we were eligible for a "free upgrade" to another riad they owned on the other side of the medina. Since we were there five days and the room was small, I thought this might be good. She gave me the name of the other riad, and told me to tell her my answer the next day as she was leaving and we were on our way out.

When we came back later, we looked over the other riad, and it did indeed look nicer. The manager only comes in the morning, so we waited to tell her our answer the next day as she requested. The next morning, I told her we would like the free upgrade. She told me she didn't know if was available because I hadn't given her an answer the day before. This kind of irritated me but whatever. She also restated her wish to come with us to the orphanage the next day, which was monday.

On Monday morning, I went downstairs to talk to her about the orphanage. She told me the arrangements were all made for us to have a taxi take us to the other riad. I clarified that this would be door to door, because we had a lot of bags. I knew there would be a last leg in a cart because it was inside the medina, but I didn't want to have to hastle with another negotiation. She said the trip was door to door. I didn't want to mention the orphanage because it was clearly outside her job to deal with that, but she had offered to go, when all I had asked was for her to call and get directions to give me. So, we left in the taxi she arranged. He dropped us off a half mile from the riad and made arrangements with a man with a cart to take our bags. We had to pay the cart man, the new room was not really an upgrade. We were really confused as to why we had been offered this. It felt somewhat like she just wanted to get rid of us.

When we finally found the orphanage, after a half day of searching, it was 100 meters from where Riad Zenithya is. All in all, a disapointing and weird experience. The place is nice enough, but you will find in Marrakech that you need more than just nice furnishings to counter the effects of the chaos outside. There are a lot of other places to choose from.

Room Tip: the small rooms are very small.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

we did not have the fortune to stay at this beautiful Riad, but we were helped immensely by two of their staff, Abdou and a younger man. We wish we had booked this hostel instead (though it seems to be beyond our budget) as we stumbled across this place in an attempt to find our own hostel (Riad Arocha - a much more poorly located, more poorly renovated, more rudely staffed place in the middle of a very dodgy neighborhood far in the north of medina). They sat us down, offered us tea, went out of their way to search on the internet for another number for our hostel and called them several times for us. they discussed, bargained and argued on our behalf (in arabic) with the hostel owners to send us a taxi and were adamant that a good hostel in such a location would not have charged the prices ours wanted to get us to their place safely. In fact from the reviews above, it seems they practice what they preach and are willing to meet guests and walk them back to Zenithya at no extra cost. Lovely. I really wish our hostel offered that. In fact, the younger guy offered to walk us safely there (a loooong journey for them) and generally just chatted with us (in french and quite good english!). They offered us that famous Moroccan hospitality that you read about everywhere, but rarely find without a request for money. My husband was nervous they would ask for money (given our experience in Morocco thus far, it was a natural fear), but in fact there was never even a hint that they wanted anything back from us. Never. And that made me feel very very happy. I want to thank them very much for helping us. I also want to apologise to them for interrupting their prayers. Beautiful people. Such kindness! By that point, we were getting quite nervous wandering around the streets of the medina at night and when they opened the door to us and let us in, I felt like we had found asylum in a very beautiful warm space. We were well impressed by the courtyard as well. The riad is also beautifully renovated. Thank you Abdou and friend!!! - from mexico&nigeria

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Riad Zenithya is a modern designerhotel with great rooms and friendly staff. The rooms are heated and warm so really nice to get back to in the evening in this time of the year. We stayed for 4 days and it was a wonderful. The hotel is only 10 minutes away from Yves Saint Laurents garden "Jardin Majorelle" and very close to the new city center of Marrakech.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

From the moment we entered the riad, we loved the place. The staff were all attentive, friendly and allways smiley, specially Khamissa. Located near in the heart of the medina. If you can't find your way back to the hotel in Marrakesh labyrinth, you can give Khamissa or Abdon a call anytime. The terrace areas very nice and a great escape from the busy Souks. Delicious breakfast. Would definitely recommend it.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Thanks for all your help Khamissa, we were lucky to meet you on our way. Zenithya is a beautiful riad with great stylish and exotic (at least for European) interior. It is a great place to stay when visit Morocco, very much different than popular hotels of international networks. Actually staying in riad like Zenithya should be a "must do" experience when visit this beautiful country and could be a one of unforgotten experiences of your trip. During our trip through Morocco we stayed in many places but this one was exceptional due to its helpful and knowledgeable staff keen to share this knowledge and help you when needed. :) Strongly recommended!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Zenithya? Share your experiences!