“A hidden gem, truly!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Selwan Wellness & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Dar Selwan Wellness & Spa
You added Dar Selwan Wellness & Spa to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   12, Res Al Bassatine | La Palmeraie, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #359 of 490 Hotels in Marrakech
Copenhagen, Denmark
“A hidden gem, truly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I don't really know where to start... This hotel is the best I've ever stayed at. The staff is unbelievably friendly, service minded and helpful. Dina and the other guy, whose name I've forgotten, would constantly go out of their way to serve us. They remembered our names, what we liked to drink and Dina had the most amazing ability to show up at the pool with a tray with fresh orange juice, water, and snacks just a few seconds before I realized I needed something to drink or eat. And of course she remembered that I wanted cold drinks, while my friend wanted coffee and water. She's such an angel! All the drinks and snacks we had at the pool were complimentary. We didn't realize that before we got the bill at the end of our stay.

The rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated and very clean. Fresh roses in our room every day! The food is delicious! You can eat anytime and any place you like. We had breakfast at the pool or at one of the roof-top terraces, dinner in the restaurant or in the garden. You just tell them where you'd like to eat and when you'd like your meal to be ready. There's no "breakfast is served between....". It felt so much like it was our own (luxury) home with our private staff.

This riad is situated in an up-scale residential area, and it was very, very quiet. I loved it. No noise or smell from traffic, no noise from anything, all you could hear were the birds in the trees. I was traveling with my best friend from high school, and being away from my husband and our three kids, it was such a wonderful experience to be pampered and be allowed to follow your own schedule, whether that be sleep in or eat at the strangest hours.

The distance to the center of Marrakech was not a problem for us. We usually got a ride with Mohamad, he has a really nice car. It took about 10 min and cost us 150 dirham in the evening and 100 dirham daytime. (I don't think Maria gives free rides anymore). One night we took a local cab home. Kinda scary as he drove very fast, my door couldn't close properly and the safety belts didn't seem to work. He had big problems finding the place, it's still so new that many people don't know it exists. He had to stop several times to ask others for directions, he even went in different directions, so it took forever to get home. He had no mobile phone, so he had to borrow ours so he could call Dar Selwan to get directions. He was thrilled to get 100 dirham even thogh it was quite late at night (and he had driven around for about an hour). So I guess Mohamad charges more as he has a nice car and he knows the way.

I would definitely consider staying at Dar Selwan again and I would absolutely recommend it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Sonning on Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

This is probably the loveliest and friendliest hotel I have ever stayed in. The location is perfect being just a 20 minute journey from the airport and shorter into central Marrakech. The house itself looks like a private house and is decorated beautifully with wonderful paintings and intricately carved woodwork. It is light and airy with plenty of rooms to relax in and the pool area is a peaceful haven (somewhat disturbed by my children)! The breakfasts here were very delicious and hearty enough to negate the need for lunch. There were eggs, french bread, pancakes, croissant, fruit, coffee, juices and cereal if required too. The hotel also offer complimentary tea coffee and water throughout the day with little dishes of a morrocan spiced granola type snack. I ate in the hotel twice and both meals were plentiful and incredibly delicious. I thought the food was a bit pricy before trying it but actually provided good value for the quality as the portions were so large that we only needed to order three meals between five people. I cannot say enough about the excellent service provided by the hotel staff. Dina was a delight from the moment we arrived and nothing seemed too much trouble for her. She was a ray of sunshine and such a lovely person. Maria was also very friendly along with the excellent manager and young man who's name I have unfortunately forgotten. The rooms were beautiful, I stayed in two different rooms during my stay and they were both equally lovely. The photos on the website genuinely do not do justice to the place. Every small detail is thought of at Dar Selwan right down to the complimentary sun hats on the beds in the morning. Out of 6 hotel stays during my trip to Morrocco, the Dar Selwan was my favourite by far and provided excellent value for money.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Lincoln, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Stayed 3 nights there despite the location (a short car ride to the Medina). The comments by other reviewers reflected our experiences pretty well. Maria and her staff were very welcoming, pleasant and most certainly accommodating. Their service delivery was among the best we have received in our travels. Maria would happily ferry us to and from the medina daily in her car. That was certainly a welcomed bonus!
Our room was tastefully decorated, very clean and quiet though dimly lit for the romantically inclined! The whole place has a very spacious and homely feel to it.
Breakfast was a mix of Continental and Moroccan served at anytime in the mornings. Free wi-fi available with decent connection. The pool is of a good size and very well maintained. I would struggle to think of any significant flaw during our stay there.
If location is not an issue ( you get free rides in town!) Dar Selwan should be your top choice.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

Thanks to Maria and her friendly staff. We spent a fantastic time in Dar Selwan. On a quiet location you can rest and enjoy the swimming pool. Dar Selwan is 15 minutes from Marrakech, so it is a good place to stay after having visitd the buzzy city.
The staff is friendly and does its best to make you feel at home. You can have lunch and dinner in Dar Selwan as well (excellent cook!). Close to the hotel is a restaurant where you can eat more western style food as well as Morrocon. If you go to Marrakech , you definitely want to stay here!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

As regular international traveller, my wife & I decided to stay at Dar Selwan to celebrate our 1st Wedding Anniversary based primarily on Trip Advisor reviews. We made the right choice!!!
From the moment Maria & her team met us on arrival with cold towels & fruit cocktails to the sad farewells 3 glorious days later we were in our own little heaven. Bliss.
Dar Selwan is situated in The Palmery district about 15 mins drive from the madness of The Medina & that suited us perfectly as we spent the days basking in the sunshine around the beautiful & serene pool area & gardens before venturing into the sunset to explore the vibrant city in the evenings.
The guest house itself is traditionally Arabic with a wonderful attention to detail & luxury.
We stayed in The Jenna suite which is wonderfully romantic & gorgeous.
The magnificent pool & gardens really were as beautiful & serene as you could ever wish for whether seeking the sun or the shade.
However, the real thing which made this break so truly memorable was Maria & her staff (Farah, Nor & Achmed) who ensured that our service was of the highest possible without ever becoming obtrusive.
Breakfast & Lunch in the tent were delicious & a much needed supply of Chilled water, juices & Tea were always on hand to help us thru the lazy days relaxing. Thank you all!!
So pleasurable was our visit that not only will I be recomending Dar Selwan to my friends & family, I will now be hoping to return in June 11 to celebrate my birthday. A glorious thought that will help us endure the forthcoming bleak Scottish Winter.......

• Stayed September 2010
Viana do Castelo, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

I´ve stayed in Dar Selwan whit my girlfriend for about 5 days and i can only say that we realy liked beying there, we felt realy welcomed , the staff was great and the location was away from the chaos of the centre of Marrakech.
I´m already thinking of returning next year whit some friends and i can only thanks Maria for everthing she as done for us.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

I would say I'm well travelled and have a fair few hotels to benchmark against. This is honestly one the best hotels I have ever stayed in (and I don't say that lightly) - if you are looking for complete relaxation, excellent customer service and good value for money then stay here. My flight was cancelled due the volcanic ash and instead of turning into a admin nightmare the manager here kept in constant contact with me and helped to re arrange the booking. Then upon arrival, you feel as if you are staying in someone's home because the personal level of service goes way beyond what you would ever expect from a mid-range priced room The location is excellent, in a peaceful high end part of town aprox 15 min drive from the old Medina. So you can either relax by the beautiful pool, or go exploring in the town. I would come back here time after time - it is genuinely an excellent hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple