“best hospitality experience -7 stars!” 5 of 5 stars

Dar Selwan Wellness & Spa
12, Res Al Bassatine | La Palmeraie, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #245 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
southport
“best hospitality experience -7 stars!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

Maria is the best hostess i have ever come across in my travels in many high quality hotels. The hotel was exquisite - beautifully decorated with lovely paintings and touches like roses in the rooms and delicious welcome juice drinks and music, but what made my stay truly outstanding was how we were looked after by maria.
I stayed fro 3 nights with my sister for a relaxing break from our hectic work schedules and this was the perfect place to do so. The food was delicious and beautifully presented, the garden with the lovely spotlessly clean pool was delightful with bougainvillea and hibiscus flowers and a tented area to get a break from the sun.
Marrakech is a fun city with lots going on and my sister and I loved the hectic pace with many people, colours and sounds in the medina. coming back to the blissful tranquility of dar selwan was the perfect complement to relax after a busy afternoon in the heat.
The hammam was brilliant and we felt like new women after the scrub and massage. i have never felt so clean and relaxed. If I return to Marrakech i would be back here no doubt. i would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to marrakech.

Room Tip: i doubt there are any bad rooms here as every inch of this place is outstanding
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Book it. Don't look at any others. You'll love it.

Having endlessly researched places to stay outside the medina, based on the earlier reviews on here we eventually decided to book Dar Selwan for our week long break. Although I use this site I have never posted before but felt compelled as I can honestly say I have rarely felt so welcome or relaxed at a hotel. The hotel is beautiful, peaceful and quiet - just what we were looking for! Maria, Ilyas, and the rest of the staff are fantastic and truly can't do enough for you - a dozen complimentary red roses in our room on arrival, gorgeous natural toiletries, arranging transport, special treats at breakfast, recommending fantastic places for dinner and shopping, nothing is is too much trouble. We stayed in the Jenna Suite with its beautiful Italian shower room. We were so impressed we will be going back en masse with family and friends at the first opportunity.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Forres, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

During our week-long holiday in Marrakech, we stayed at Dar Selwan - and what a fantastic choice it was for our accommodation! As soon as we arrived on the first night, we were met by the lovely Maria with cold drinks and cool towels to refresh us after our journey. Upon entering Dar Selwan, one is instantly blown away by how beautiful it is: both the common areas of the hotel and the rooms are light, spacious and opulently furnished in the style of a traditional Moroccan riad. We stayed in the 'Morjana' suite, which made the perfect base for our stay - it opens onto a terrace which has views of the garden and Palmeraie, it was extremely comfortable and cleaned and tidied daily. After an exhilarating day in the city, it was always nice to come back to Dar Selwan and find our beds made (sprinkled with fresh rose petals) and our towels designed in wonderful shapes - my personal favourite being the swans! Our bathroom was also lovely, with a bath and shower, and complimentary shampoo and shower gels which were both 100% natural.
The riad also has a garden and pool area, which we made full use of almost every day - an invigorating swim in the impeccably-kept pool was usually much needed, as during our trip it was sunny and 30C (at least) every day. After a swim, or perhaps simply on a lazy afternoon, residents can relax either on the sun loungers beside the pool, where towels and a sun hat are provided, or in one of the two charming garden tents - all the while surrounded by vibrantly coloured flowers, palm trees and enjoying the peace and tranquility which is broken only by sweet birdsong.
A review of Dar Selwan would not be complete without mentioning the food - which we received plenty of when staying here! To start the day off, we would order breakfast which we usually ate in the garden tent at the far end of the pool - however, this was not just any old breakfast. Each day we were presented with a huge silver platter which contained a variety of Continental and Moroccan breakfast items; on any given day, we could consume croissants, toasted crusty bread, traditional Moroccan pancakes served with sugar and a honey & butter mix, fried eggs, fruit salad, mint tea and delicious freshly squeezed orange juice. Throughout the day we were offered a range of refreshments which included mint tea, water or fresh fruit juice, and if we were at the hotel during the day, we could easily order toasted sandwiches which were served with French fries or crisps, salad and a selection of dips.
Dar Selwan also offers the chance to try some specialities which would be found in a Moroccan dinner. One night, we decided to have a meal which was served in the luxurious, candlelit surroundings of the 'Lalla Zakia' living room with its beautiful coloured-glass windows (although the hotel also has a restaurant where meals can be eaten). For the starter, we had three well-presented salads - two were savoury (aubergine with sweet pepper & lemon, and a tomato mix in lettuce) and one was sweet (pumpkin with orange) - which were enjoyed by all. Next, the main course: our party of three (mother and two children) had decided to order three dishes which would be shared to get the full range of flavours, so we found ourselves trying a lamb, pea & artichoke tagine, couscous and chicken and then barbecued chicken skewers - all were truly delicious. After testing some Moroccan pastry sweets, the two children finished with warm chocolate brownies and ice-cream, which, needless to say, went down a treat! The food at Dar Selwan is, in our opinion, second to none.
Finally, we all agreed that possibly the best aspect of our stay at Dar Selwan was the incredible level of service we received. From the moment we arrived to the reluctant farewells a week later, the time we spent at the riad would not have been the same without the exceptionally friendly staff: everyone here goes out of their way to help you, and nothing is too much for them. Whether it's the poolside service, the lifts that Maria provides when she can, the helpful information/recommendations or simply the friendly chats, the staff at Dar Selwan go above and beyond their roles to make your stay the best it can be. We were treated like royalty, but as well as being extremely professional, Maria and her brilliant team became good friends to us - they always had time to speak to us either about Marrakech or on a more personal level, and were all beyond kind.

So, after the essay (!), we would just like to thank everyone at Dar Selwan for making our stay out-of-this-world, and to say that it will not be long before we are back! We would recommend Dar Selwan to anyone looking for a fabulous hotel with the world's most welcoming staff!

Room Tip: Approx 15 mins from city, taxis can be called
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

The Hotel was everything it promised to be! service was excellent , special thanks to the suitable manager maria and all the housekeeping staff were exceptional , nothing was too much trouble and any request dealt with the utmost efficiency. The house is beautiful, the rooms extremely comfortable, and the food.good. absolutely luxury, gardens truly beautiful, hammam/massage addictive..., Would highly recommend and will return upon re visit to Morocco, thank you for making me happy during this week.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I don't really know where to start... This hotel is the best I've ever stayed at. The staff is unbelievably friendly, service minded and helpful. Dina and the other guy, whose name I've forgotten, would constantly go out of their way to serve us. They remembered our names, what we liked to drink and Dina had the most amazing ability to show up at the pool with a tray with fresh orange juice, water, and snacks just a few seconds before I realized I needed something to drink or eat. And of course she remembered that I wanted cold drinks, while my friend wanted coffee and water. She's such an angel! All the drinks and snacks we had at the pool were complimentary. We didn't realize that before we got the bill at the end of our stay.

The rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated and very clean. Fresh roses in our room every day! The food is delicious! You can eat anytime and any place you like. We had breakfast at the pool or at one of the roof-top terraces, dinner in the restaurant or in the garden. You just tell them where you'd like to eat and when you'd like your meal to be ready. There's no "breakfast is served between....". It felt so much like it was our own (luxury) home with our private staff.

This riad is situated in an up-scale residential area, and it was very, very quiet. I loved it. No noise or smell from traffic, no noise from anything, all you could hear were the birds in the trees. I was traveling with my best friend from high school, and being away from my husband and our three kids, it was such a wonderful experience to be pampered and be allowed to follow your own schedule, whether that be sleep in or eat at the strangest hours.

The distance to the center of Marrakech was not a problem for us. We usually got a ride with Mohamad, he has a really nice car. It took about 10 min and cost us 150 dirham in the evening and 100 dirham daytime. (I don't think Maria gives free rides anymore). One night we took a local cab home. Kinda scary as he drove very fast, my door couldn't close properly and the safety belts didn't seem to work. He had big problems finding the place, it's still so new that many people don't know it exists. He had to stop several times to ask others for directions, he even went in different directions, so it took forever to get home. He had no mobile phone, so he had to borrow ours so he could call Dar Selwan to get directions. He was thrilled to get 100 dirham even thogh it was quite late at night (and he had driven around for about an hour). So I guess Mohamad charges more as he has a nice car and he knows the way.

I would definitely consider staying at Dar Selwan again and I would absolutely recommend it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Sonning on Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

This is probably the loveliest and friendliest hotel I have ever stayed in. The location is perfect being just a 20 minute journey from the airport and shorter into central Marrakech. The house itself looks like a private house and is decorated beautifully with wonderful paintings and intricately carved woodwork. It is light and airy with plenty of rooms to relax in and the pool area is a peaceful haven (somewhat disturbed by my children)! The breakfasts here were very delicious and hearty enough to negate the need for lunch. There were eggs, french bread, pancakes, croissant, fruit, coffee, juices and cereal if required too. The hotel also offer complimentary tea coffee and water throughout the day with little dishes of a morrocan spiced granola type snack. I ate in the hotel twice and both meals were plentiful and incredibly delicious. I thought the food was a bit pricy before trying it but actually provided good value for the quality as the portions were so large that we only needed to order three meals between five people. I cannot say enough about the excellent service provided by the hotel staff. Dina was a delight from the moment we arrived and nothing seemed too much trouble for her. She was a ray of sunshine and such a lovely person. Maria was also very friendly along with the excellent manager and young man who's name I have unfortunately forgotten. The rooms were beautiful, I stayed in two different rooms during my stay and they were both equally lovely. The photos on the website genuinely do not do justice to the place. Every small detail is thought of at Dar Selwan right down to the complimentary sun hats on the beds in the morning. Out of 6 hotel stays during my trip to Morrocco, the Dar Selwan was my favourite by far and provided excellent value for money.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Lincoln, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Stayed 3 nights there despite the location (a short car ride to the Medina). The comments by other reviewers reflected our experiences pretty well. Maria and her staff were very welcoming, pleasant and most certainly accommodating. Their service delivery was among the best we have received in our travels. Maria would happily ferry us to and from the medina daily in her car. That was certainly a welcomed bonus!
Our room was tastefully decorated, very clean and quiet though dimly lit for the romantically inclined! The whole place has a very spacious and homely feel to it.
Breakfast was a mix of Continental and Moroccan served at anytime in the mornings. Free wi-fi available with decent connection. The pool is of a good size and very well maintained. I would struggle to think of any significant flaw during our stay there.
If location is not an issue ( you get free rides in town!) Dar Selwan should be your top choice.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Selwan Wellness & Spa? Share your experiences!