“Do not stay at this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Royal Decameron Issil
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   Circuit De La Palmeraie, Marrakech 1572 , Morocco   |
Ranked #520 of 1,037 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Kamloops, Canada
“Do not stay at this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Having read many of the reviews I wondered if we were staying at the same place! We had the worst all inclusive vacation ever although the others were in Mexico and the Caribbean where the expectations may be greater.
Reception was disgraceful. Our taxi had to drop us at the gate, no trolley for the cases or help with the bags. Reception staff were very rude and unhelpful, not just then, but all the time. Real arrogance.

We looked at three rooms before finding one we would stay in and even then it looked nothing like the photos we had seen. Room was clean but very spartan. White tile floor, no rug, no couch and no real chair..just an old stool. Decor was old but clean; locks were difficult to operate on the sliding doors. Bathroom was dated and had no towel rings or hooks...just the floor.

No information was provided on the resort although we asked reception. Had to pay for the in room safe and Internet was provided in the lobby by machine which reception would not give out change. They also would not provide small bills when exchanging money.

This was an RCI exchange and we had to pay an extra Euros700 for the all-inclusive. It was dreadful. Looked good at first, and on the first day, but closer inspection revealed that the display of dishes each day were just a few repeated. The Grill provided Turkey day one but later on we were presented with undercooked sausages, two days tacos, two days stir-frys. Alternatives were available (tagines, fish etc ) but often coldish and kept running out. Drinks were equally bad; wine was cheap and cheerful and the cocktails came out of a machine and were very poor. Dining facilities resembled a canteen with very limited outside space

The bar was ok but nothing special.

The activities staff worked hard, made an effort and were generally ok.

In my opinion you cant rate a resort on the prettiness alone! Yes the grounds were clean and tidy but does that make a vacation? Not in my opinion.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

455 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I plus our two teenage boys stayed here from 07/08/13 - 14/08/13.This is a lovely relaxed and informal hotel set in well tended tropical grounds complimented by attentive friendly staff. We were very grateful for the thoughtfully supplied fruit cocktail drinks on our arrival from the airport and then we were shown in to dinner without having to ask. We purposefully booked this hotel to get away from the increasingly negative behaviours of some of our fellow Brits and their offspring and I am glad we did. Yes this is a French dominated hotel.It was so good though to be amongst friendly and polite fellow guests with their well behaved children which is probably why the general atmosphere is so relaxed. The language barrier presented us with no problem despite our smattering of French. Our two air conditioned rooms were kept spotlessly clean with fresh towels every day by our cheery pleasant cleaner.The TV in our room had two great movie channels which kept our boys entertained when the heat got too much.....reached 50 degrees one day. I highly recommend the quality of the food here with local dishes being of exceptional flavour especially the various tagines. Surprisingly for all inclusive the unlimited soft drinks are supplied from the major brands eg Coca Cola, Fanta, Sprite etc. There is a bus that goes to Marrakech from the hotel which we used and found the city a fantastic experience.We actually found that the market holders were friendly and we enjoyed the bartering and they did accept our first "No" unlike other places we have visited.We arranged our day trips through Ahmed of "Clickexcursions" who's company had transported us from the airport and left us with a list of excellent value trips. We chose a trip to the Atlas Mountains and also a Camel Ride which I would say are both a must enhanced by the professionalism of this company. Nightime at the hotel is confined within it's perimeter walls as La Palmeraie is an isolated location reserved for hotels and the rich however there are local taxis that wait outside the main gate...pay no more than 120dh though for a family taxi to Marrakech. Entertainment is obviously in French but you can still join in and have fun if you wish.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We travelled here for a value short break in January and we absolutely loved this place. It's star rating does not do it justice. The staff were exceptionally friendly and the food and drink excellent. Rooms basic but clean. Gardens beautifully kept. Nice area and easy access into Marrakesh centre. Since then we stayed at the 5 star Riu Tikkida Palmeraie and this hotel is so much nicer than that!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Portsmouth, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My partner and I stayed in the Royal Decameron Issil on the 6th - 13th July 2013 and we had a lovely time.

We were fully prepared for the language barrier from reading the reviews on trip advisor, but as we both know a teeny bit of French we got on ok.

When we arrived we had a warm welcome and drink from the Hotel staff and were shown to our room which was probably the furthest away from the main complex. We were actually offered a room by the pool a few days in by the Reception staff which we thought was a lovely gesture, but we politely declined as it was actually quite nice to have a distance from the disco etc at night as it could get a tad noisy.

We did a couple of trips while we were there, we didn't have a problem finding a travel rep as the Receptionist at the hotel gave us a British tour company details as soon as we arrived. We did the half day in Marrakech (more than enough, especially in 44 degree heat!!) and also an authentic meal in a Moroccan restaurant. We felt we were bumped on the restaurant trip as it cost a lot of money for what it was, and the hotel actually did a better Moroccan night food wise anyway!

Food wise, I had a bit of tummy trouble but my partner was fine, could have partly down to the heat as even our Rep said when we were over there they were having a bit of a heatwave! There were a couple of moody waitresses in the Restaurant who really didn't seem like they wanted to be there but I managed to get one of them to crack a smile at me eventually!

The entertainment was something to be desired, it usually began with a mini disco in the main lobby from 9 - 10 (with the same music in the same order each day!!) then the crowd would move onto the Theatre for about an hours performance, then onwards to the disco until 1 am. We tagged along one night to see what it was all about but it wasn't to our taste shall I say!

I don't have any real negatives to report really, we didn't feel any hostility from the people in the hotel or in Marrakech itself, but we could have been lucky. Whilst we were on our trip in Marrakech a lady on the trip accidently took a picture of one of the 'water men' and he came up to her demanding money. It's a shame but actually a lot of places in the world are like this, accidently snap a picture of pretty much any locals and they will be demanding your cash!!

Would we return to this place, probably not, probably not because our attitude is that there are so many places in the world to explore, why keep going back to the same place?
All in all I would recommend this place to fellow travellers, maybe not those who want a 'British' oriented holiday as you just won't get it here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Amersfoort
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the venue for 10 days in mid July - with scorching temperatures. Since Marrakech has a dessert climate 43+ degrees is quite doable and the hotel is built in Kasbah style which means the rooms stay pleasantly cool - even if one switches the airport off at night.
Animation team is a mix of local and French - they barely speak English - the same goes for most of the staff. I like it - but if you don't speak any French it might be hard. Both staff and animation team are quite professional and very friendly.
The garden the hotel lies in is maticulate and I really admire the small army of (male and female) gardeners who are constantly at work to keep it that way.
Service is fine - but they only go out of their way on your last day :-)
My husband and daughter really liked the food - for me it might have been a bit more fragrant. The centre of Marrakesh is only 5-10 minutes away by taxi or shuttle bus. It is easiest to take the shuttle bus (free) into town than barter a decent price for a taxi back. Most we paid was 60 Dirhams.
Do try the Hammam on the hotel premises, not overly cheap - but for €60 per person you get pampered for two while hours and the scrub treatment allows you to tan beautifully! Again, lovely staff, they gave my daughter a manicure for free, which was greatly appreciated since she has learning difficulties and to her this meant a huge "I'm a big person" experience.

I have decided out of the North African countries I've visited (Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco), I liked this location the least. The people in the city were a bit too focused to getting my money and not always in the most charming way. Could well be that Marrakesh is not a very good representative for Morocco as a whole and it certainly had nothing to with the hotel and staff. They were just the ticket for a restful stay in the sun.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We have just come back from 7 nights at this hotel and had a fabulous time. We took our 3 year old daughter and she had so much fuss and attention as the staff love the children. Limited English spoken as most of the guests are French but we got by and had a great time. Great location to see all the Marrakech sites. Taxis quite cheap and they will take you to all the local sites so worth paying them to take you as worked out less then £30. We took a horse and carriage ride which our daughter loved and saw the old Marrakech and new part which is great for eating out. The hotel had a great selection of food everyday and I'm a vegetarian but plenty to eat and children are catered for also. I would definitely go back to the hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013
Sidcup
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel is lovely. The evening bar staff are brilliant, friendly and helpful as are the waiting staff.
The food is superb, catering for everybody.
I totally agree with Quizor on the language.
Nobody talks to you so you don't know what's gong on in the hotel, but we like are own company and got by fine. The entertainment staff mostly asked us to join in with the aerobics and games etc.
3 of us travelled my mum, my daughter and myself, we got by very well and enjoyed every minute of it. We are very polite and they appreciate that. We quickly learnt how to say thank you in Arabic and they replied in English. Its not hard to order what you want in French.
The reception staff could improve quite a lot, one guy was very helpful and that's it. I felt if they had got somebody from the hotel to explain to us how things worked we would have felt a bit easier
The Arabic people at the market are nice and friendly.
We would go back and quite possible if the price stays sensible to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Royal Decameron Issil? Share your experiences!