“Unless you speak French can not recommend” 2 of 5 stars

Royal Decameron Issil
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   Circuit De La Palmeraie, Marrakech 1572 , Morocco   |
Ranked #561 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Boston
“Unless you speak French can not recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We have just come back from a week here and though most of the staff were very friendly and the food was ok it was not a great experience. Reception staff were never particularly friendly or helpfull when we had problems
Our main complaint is with the animation team, on the first day when they realised we were English they ignored us then in the evening we were enjoying a drink in the lounge and watching TV a member of the animation team switched off the tv and told us to move as they were having a French quiz we politely declined. On complaining to the manager he said the team are bought in by the tour company and not his responsibility.
Things did improve slightly but if you want a holiday with good entertainment and conversation with guests and staff DONT GO HERE
The one saving grace was Assil who gave out the towels he was always friendly/polite and willing to help

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Arromanches-les-Bains, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Though it's a big hotel, the quality is good and the people are very friendly. A large variety of food every day which wasn't bad at all. If you're going to Marrakesh, this is one of the hotels to stay!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Decameron is a short taxi ride from the 'madness of 'marakesh'.
The grounds are lovely, full of fruit laden date palms and cactus plants that are very well tended to on a daily basis by the team of gardeners.
The rooms are a generous size, plenty of storage space and are cleaned every day. Towels, soaps etc are changed and replenished daily.
The food was excellent every day and every meal.Presentation was outstanding. The chef keeps a keen watch on each service with pride. Justifiably so!
The waiter service was freindly and efficient.
Plenty of choice where refreshments were concerned!!! Don't like it? Try something else!! Nothing was any trouble to the bar staff. Bottles of water handed over with no arguement.
French speakers most definetly have the upper hand!!! Or do they?!?!? Not being able to join in the animation is not always a bad thing!! Being left to your own devices is much more favourable!!
The langauge barrier gets crossed eventually!! If you want/expect everybody to speak English......stay in England!
Few handy hints:-
1) boarding passes to be filled in on arrival and DEPARTURE.(take a pen!)
2) change your money in small amounts
3) change money into Dirhams OR Euro (both accepted)
4) exchange any Dirhams back to sterling at the change bureaus at the airport.
(can be done at bank, but you need reciept or atm slip)
5) be prepared to queue at check in on arrival. Staff are in no rush whatsoever!!
6) ENJOY!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We read with some concern the negative reviews about the hotel- primarily concerning the lack of English spoken at this establishment, although this proved to be a boon for us as we wanted a quiet uninterupted holiday, which the Decameron delivers in spades. However if you don't mind this and/or speak a smattering of GCSE French- read on!

The hotel is some 3-4 miles from the town centre, about a 40 minute walk and a 60/70 dirham 'petit taxi' fare if you're in a rush. It's grounds are lush and well tended and the mix of small chalet type accomodation and larger 16-20 room blocks is of a decent standard, being built in 1991. We were surprised about the size of the room and the generous bath/shower/bidet/toilet room and how clean it was. The aircon worked, the beds were new and quite firm and the sheets crisp and clean. Room service were round every day with fresh towels, although pool towels had to be collected from reception as the 'card' system they operate wasn't working.

On our arrival we managed to squeeze in a dinner and were surprised at the quality and choice of foods served- an extensive salad bar and cooked meats and tagines, plus a grill and desert bar. Wine is served with lunch and dinner, with bottled water, though only hot drinks and juices are available at breakfast which mystified us somewhat. My partner, well travelled and schooled in things all inclusive said this was the best hotel food she had eaten and I couldn't agree with her more. There is a strong continental theme to the food as the hotel caters for 99% French speaking guests- during our week there we counted three other Englanders holidaying there.

Eating wasn't traumatic- with only 200 rooms we never felt like being in a cattle market and were only left looking for a seat one lunchtime toward the end of our stay, following an influx of guests.

The staff spoke a mixture of reasonable English- more so than my French, which gets worse each year. Morocco was a former French colony up until the 1950's and the influnence of it's 'mother' country is writ large throughout it's culture and French is an unofficial second language. We certainly didn't find anyone rude ( well, not the staff ) and as a whole the Moroccan people are very freindly. Also Morocco is far from a 'regular' tourist destination for the English, but so long as you bear this in mind, there's no reason not to come here.

Facilities wise, we didn't sample the nightclub/disco which we never heard from our block which was quite near, although I was treated to drunken arguments between 1-5am, following the return of some of the guests, which wasn't helped by the tiled floors and high ceilings in the hall, which didn't help my sleep on some of the nights.

The indoor pool is quite warm and spacious, the 11am waterobics aside, though we didn't try the outdoor one. Try as we might we couldn't find a sauna (as advertised) and the non inclusive massage was 430 Dh and very half hearted and not a full hour and can probably be found cheaper in town.

Drinks wise, there was a range of cocktails- some good, others less so, but Rum, Vodka, Whisky ( tastes rather aniseedy), Pernod and Gin available, plus Stork beer ( Moroccan brewed and not bad!) and juices, Tea, Coffee and the national favourite Mint Tea, which is sweet and refreshing enough to convert a cynic like me. Drinks are served 10am-2pm weekdays apparently, though we were early birds to bed.

The downsides? Well if you want to be involved in the poolside animation ( we didn't) or you have kids, then you might need a good level of French to participate- they did try to get us to dance one evening in the terrace bar, but otherwise left us alone as we sat beside the pool one afternoon.

In our room we found the shower head was fixed and thus flooded the bathroom on full power and on two separate occaisions I had to eject cockroaches from the bathroom, having come through the louvred wooden cover- a radiator cover basically- under the sink, though the only wildlife in the grounds were a few well fed cats and lots of birds- given that we were in Saharan Africa then I suppose this was to be expected.

Our toilet was continually running-easily fixed with the stop tap set to off- and there was a slight warp to the patio door which allowed winged guests into the room to bite me, despite our Mosquito killer plug in- I'd just splather yourself in Lemon oil instead- cheaper and more effective.

It might be an idea too, for the management to spend some cash on new plates, cups and machinery- some of the coffee/drinks machines looked very grubby and I noted their platewashing machine had left more than one plate dirty in the pile, having spent two whole days with a very painful stomach, this point seems quite pertinent- although no one else seemed ill and my other half was fine.

Despite this, I enjoyed my time here and can reccomend it to people wanting something a little different.

Room Tip: Chalet type rooms are quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed in the hotel one week in april. When i first came to the hotel i was very impressed. The room was very nice, and the restaurant was accellent, the food was good, and there was a good variety of food. But unfortnely the service was very bad. If you don't speak french, you don't get any service/help at all!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Have just returned from a week in this hotel. The rooms were very clean and spacious and the beds very comfortable. There was always plenty of choice in the restaurant which caters for most diets. The staff were very friendly even if they only spoke French but we still managed to communicate with them.

The gym was a disappointment with only two bikes, a broken stepper and a couple of multi-gyms which were also broken. Although this was reported several times nothing was done about it. We plan to go back next year and hope that improvements have been made.

All in all, this was a great holiday and I would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: Try to get a bungalow so you don't have any noise from people above you
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hitchin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I went to Marrakech and stayed at the Issil from the 4th- 9th December – tip for those going in the winter – take lots of warm clothing for the evening I was freezing!

The hotel itself is stunning, set in large well kept grounds, with 16 accommodation blocks scattered around in traditional style Moroccan colours and design. The rooms are very large, spacious and clean. The outdoor pool is huge although far too cold for us to swim in at that time of year however they also have an indoor pool which was a must – like swimming in a warm bath. Lovely.

I had read comments before we went about it being aimed very much for the French with those outside of that being left out – yes a lot of French stay at this hotel but in no way did we feel excluded, the staff were all very friendly and their English was fine. We made the effort to greet and ask how people were in French – I think it’s only polite that you use/learn a bit of the locals language (we don’t like it when people in England can’t speak English!)

The animation team are all French / Moroccan but again we never felt bad vibes from them, we partook in the archery from 10am and they were all really helpful and funny. Even though there was a language barrier we all had a good laugh. The hotel had quite a few activities – tennis / ping pong / step / aqua aerobics so there is plenty to keep you busy if that’s what you like.

Food – this was the only let down of the holiday and felt we were hungry most of the time!! I’ve experienced all inclusive hotels before so knew what to expect – we never went without but there were a couple of nights where I had a chip butty! I am particularly fussy with my food so im sure this played a big part. Out of the 5 nights we were there there was only a couple of nights where I didn’t fancy anything on offer and resorted to chips. The Moroccan night I found was the best and would have liked to see more of – lentils, chick peas with roasted aubergine and peppers – it was delicious. Instead of going to the restaurant for lunch we had burger and chips from the pool bar which was actually very nice – the chips hot from the fryer and the burger cooked there and then with lots of fresh salad.

The weather was hot (sunbathing weather) a couple of days and we did just that – relaxed around the pool. We went into Marrakech town a couple of times and what an experience it was. Personally the people hassling put me off a lot. I loved seeing it as it’s so diverse and different to anything I have ever seen before but when I stopped to take a picture I had about 3 people grabbing on to my arms trying to get me to get henna or pay for something – someone even tried to get me to pay them for taking a picture of their snakes from 100 yards away! Personally I find it extremely off-putting and just want to get out of there – I knew to expect this but it was still annoying. The Souks (markets) are a maze, interesting to walk around but again because of the hassle we powered through glimpsing the beautiful colours around us.

The highlight of the holiday was a day trip we arrange before we went with Adil (adil.camel@gmail.com) – he picked us up at 9am and we drove towards the Atlas mountains – which are stunning. We started by stopping for a camel ride then on to a Berber market – people that live way outside the city and live a life from 100 years ago - Adil showed us all the fresh veg/ fruit and herbs on offer along with where the ‘dentist’ pull outs your teeth and the ‘doctor’ cures any ailments! We then went onwards and upwards to a place where we stopped to climb up to waterfalls – really enjoyed this part – be warned its hard work and steep so wear trainers! This took about an hour or so. Again up we went – the scenery is stunning – I think you go 2k feet up the mountains. We finished up with lunch in a lovely ladies house at the top which was the best meal of the holiday. Adil certainly knows how to make mint tea! I would definitely recommend doing this when you go. All in all I think it cost about 200€ for everything for two.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the pool - away from the disco - lovely and quiet
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Royal Decameron Issil? Share your experiences!