“Relaxing, good food, clean, tidy-mais, parlez vous Francais?” 4 of 5 stars

Royal Decameron Issil
3.5 of 5 Inn   |   Circuit De La Palmeraie, Marrakech 1572 , Morocco   |
Ranked #548 of 1,057 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Relaxing, good food, clean, tidy-mais, parlez vous Francais?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We read with some concern the negative reviews about the hotel- primarily concerning the lack of English spoken at this establishment, although this proved to be a boon for us as we wanted a quiet uninterupted holiday, which the Decameron delivers in spades. However if you don't mind this and/or speak a smattering of GCSE French- read on!

The hotel is some 3-4 miles from the town centre, about a 40 minute walk and a 60/70 dirham 'petit taxi' fare if you're in a rush. It's grounds are lush and well tended and the mix of small chalet type accomodation and larger 16-20 room blocks is of a decent standard, being built in 1991. We were surprised about the size of the room and the generous bath/shower/bidet/toilet room and how clean it was. The aircon worked, the beds were new and quite firm and the sheets crisp and clean. Room service were round every day with fresh towels, although pool towels had to be collected from reception as the 'card' system they operate wasn't working.

On our arrival we managed to squeeze in a dinner and were surprised at the quality and choice of foods served- an extensive salad bar and cooked meats and tagines, plus a grill and desert bar. Wine is served with lunch and dinner, with bottled water, though only hot drinks and juices are available at breakfast which mystified us somewhat. My partner, well travelled and schooled in things all inclusive said this was the best hotel food she had eaten and I couldn't agree with her more. There is a strong continental theme to the food as the hotel caters for 99% French speaking guests- during our week there we counted three other Englanders holidaying there.

Eating wasn't traumatic- with only 200 rooms we never felt like being in a cattle market and were only left looking for a seat one lunchtime toward the end of our stay, following an influx of guests.

The staff spoke a mixture of reasonable English- more so than my French, which gets worse each year. Morocco was a former French colony up until the 1950's and the influnence of it's 'mother' country is writ large throughout it's culture and French is an unofficial second language. We certainly didn't find anyone rude ( well, not the staff ) and as a whole the Moroccan people are very freindly. Also Morocco is far from a 'regular' tourist destination for the English, but so long as you bear this in mind, there's no reason not to come here.

Facilities wise, we didn't sample the nightclub/disco which we never heard from our block which was quite near, although I was treated to drunken arguments between 1-5am, following the return of some of the guests, which wasn't helped by the tiled floors and high ceilings in the hall, which didn't help my sleep on some of the nights.

The indoor pool is quite warm and spacious, the 11am waterobics aside, though we didn't try the outdoor one. Try as we might we couldn't find a sauna (as advertised) and the non inclusive massage was 430 Dh and very half hearted and not a full hour and can probably be found cheaper in town.

Drinks wise, there was a range of cocktails- some good, others less so, but Rum, Vodka, Whisky ( tastes rather aniseedy), Pernod and Gin available, plus Stork beer ( Moroccan brewed and not bad!) and juices, Tea, Coffee and the national favourite Mint Tea, which is sweet and refreshing enough to convert a cynic like me. Drinks are served 10am-2pm weekdays apparently, though we were early birds to bed.

The downsides? Well if you want to be involved in the poolside animation ( we didn't) or you have kids, then you might need a good level of French to participate- they did try to get us to dance one evening in the terrace bar, but otherwise left us alone as we sat beside the pool one afternoon.

In our room we found the shower head was fixed and thus flooded the bathroom on full power and on two separate occaisions I had to eject cockroaches from the bathroom, having come through the louvred wooden cover- a radiator cover basically- under the sink, though the only wildlife in the grounds were a few well fed cats and lots of birds- given that we were in Saharan Africa then I suppose this was to be expected.

Our toilet was continually running-easily fixed with the stop tap set to off- and there was a slight warp to the patio door which allowed winged guests into the room to bite me, despite our Mosquito killer plug in- I'd just splather yourself in Lemon oil instead- cheaper and more effective.

It might be an idea too, for the management to spend some cash on new plates, cups and machinery- some of the coffee/drinks machines looked very grubby and I noted their platewashing machine had left more than one plate dirty in the pile, having spent two whole days with a very painful stomach, this point seems quite pertinent- although no one else seemed ill and my other half was fine.

Despite this, I enjoyed my time here and can reccomend it to people wanting something a little different.

Room Tip: Chalet type rooms are quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed in the hotel one week in april. When i first came to the hotel i was very impressed. The room was very nice, and the restaurant was accellent, the food was good, and there was a good variety of food. But unfortnely the service was very bad. If you don't speak french, you don't get any service/help at all!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Have just returned from a week in this hotel. The rooms were very clean and spacious and the beds very comfortable. There was always plenty of choice in the restaurant which caters for most diets. The staff were very friendly even if they only spoke French but we still managed to communicate with them.

The gym was a disappointment with only two bikes, a broken stepper and a couple of multi-gyms which were also broken. Although this was reported several times nothing was done about it. We plan to go back next year and hope that improvements have been made.

All in all, this was a great holiday and I would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: Try to get a bungalow so you don't have any noise from people above you
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Stevenage, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I went to Marrakech and stayed at the Issil from the 4th- 9th December – tip for those going in the winter – take lots of warm clothing for the evening I was freezing!

The hotel itself is stunning, set in large well kept grounds, with 16 accommodation blocks scattered around in traditional style Moroccan colours and design. The rooms are very large, spacious and clean. The outdoor pool is huge although far too cold for us to swim in at that time of year however they also have an indoor pool which was a must – like swimming in a warm bath. Lovely.

I had read comments before we went about it being aimed very much for the French with those outside of that being left out – yes a lot of French stay at this hotel but in no way did we feel excluded, the staff were all very friendly and their English was fine. We made the effort to greet and ask how people were in French – I think it’s only polite that you use/learn a bit of the locals language (we don’t like it when people in England can’t speak English!)

The animation team are all French / Moroccan but again we never felt bad vibes from them, we partook in the archery from 10am and they were all really helpful and funny. Even though there was a language barrier we all had a good laugh. The hotel had quite a few activities – tennis / ping pong / step / aqua aerobics so there is plenty to keep you busy if that’s what you like.

Food – this was the only let down of the holiday and felt we were hungry most of the time!! I’ve experienced all inclusive hotels before so knew what to expect – we never went without but there were a couple of nights where I had a chip butty! I am particularly fussy with my food so im sure this played a big part. Out of the 5 nights we were there there was only a couple of nights where I didn’t fancy anything on offer and resorted to chips. The Moroccan night I found was the best and would have liked to see more of – lentils, chick peas with roasted aubergine and peppers – it was delicious. Instead of going to the restaurant for lunch we had burger and chips from the pool bar which was actually very nice – the chips hot from the fryer and the burger cooked there and then with lots of fresh salad.

The weather was hot (sunbathing weather) a couple of days and we did just that – relaxed around the pool. We went into Marrakech town a couple of times and what an experience it was. Personally the people hassling put me off a lot. I loved seeing it as it’s so diverse and different to anything I have ever seen before but when I stopped to take a picture I had about 3 people grabbing on to my arms trying to get me to get henna or pay for something – someone even tried to get me to pay them for taking a picture of their snakes from 100 yards away! Personally I find it extremely off-putting and just want to get out of there – I knew to expect this but it was still annoying. The Souks (markets) are a maze, interesting to walk around but again because of the hassle we powered through glimpsing the beautiful colours around us.

The highlight of the holiday was a day trip we arrange before we went with Adil (adil.camel@gmail.com) – he picked us up at 9am and we drove towards the Atlas mountains – which are stunning. We started by stopping for a camel ride then on to a Berber market – people that live way outside the city and live a life from 100 years ago - Adil showed us all the fresh veg/ fruit and herbs on offer along with where the ‘dentist’ pull outs your teeth and the ‘doctor’ cures any ailments! We then went onwards and upwards to a place where we stopped to climb up to waterfalls – really enjoyed this part – be warned its hard work and steep so wear trainers! This took about an hour or so. Again up we went – the scenery is stunning – I think you go 2k feet up the mountains. We finished up with lunch in a lovely ladies house at the top which was the best meal of the holiday. Adil certainly knows how to make mint tea! I would definitely recommend doing this when you go. All in all I think it cost about 200€ for everything for two.

Room Tip: Ask for a room by the pool - away from the disco - lovely and quiet
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

I went with a fried both 23years old. Had a good time however would have been great if we had pack for cooler and wet weather so was quite cold most of the holiday. However cannot complain about the hotel. We booked with Expedia and had no problems. Yes the entertainment is in french. We spoke hardly any french but got by just fine the staff try there best at speaking english. Great service from the free bus to/from Marrakesh centre although we got a taxi back to avoid waiting at a haggled price of 40 Dirham. The food was lovely something for every one at every meal with authentic flavours. The bar was good, had all the main spirits however they didn't have Malibu or Martini. Did have a good selection of cocktails which we took full advantage off and they partied in the disco after. The songs at the disco are mainly english although they didnt have many of the songs we requested but nether the less we had a great night. We did get quite drunk but the staff were great about it. There was a great age range at the hotel, families, couples and friends. Now to the room. The rooms were spacious and beds were really comfy with clean sheets. Only 2 english channels on the TV, one running films and one american news. Unfortunately our air conditioning seem to trip the electricity in out room but this was quickly sorted with a portable heater being placed in out room. Plenty of hot water. Some of the reviews have mentioned about updating the bathrooms, and yes they are traditionally tiled and a bit chipped hear and there but I think this adds to the authenticity of the whole feel. The pool was to cold to go in but looked clean and pretty. We went in the indoor pool and it was cold although heard that is was warm when speaking to other guests. We used the spa facilities at the hotel and had a Hamman bath which was amazing, followed by royal massage, equally amazing. We took English £ and it was fine to use them in the hotel although they were reluctant to take any coinage. We changed a bit in to Moroccan Dirham for the market which I think is the best thing to do. We only had 3 full days there so didnt get to do lots of sight seeing however all the information about trips and tours were in french/german but nothing in English. this didnt actually effect us much because of the short stay but im sure reception staff would be happy to help and advise. The hotel was secure and felt safe, lovely settings and overall had a great time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

After reading all the various reviews I thought i would keep an open mind about as what to expect. The hotel is in beautiful, well kept surroundings and the rooms are large, rustic and perhaps in need of a refurb especially in the bathroom. I guess i am going to be really boring here and follow suit to say the biggest whinge i have is that despite English guests all the animation is only done in French and that is what you can hear all day long. As Thomson and First choice are in this hotel you would imagine the english are catered for but sadly they are not. Saying that the staff are all very friendly and will make an effort of speaking in english even though most of them speak very little. At breakfast time if you got down after 9am you would quite often find no cups left at the drinks machines or no juice left in the machines either, certainly not of a 4 star standard. If you can get over these little niggles you wll probably have a lovely time but in my opinion i would not class this as a 4 star hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Rabat, Morocco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

After reading the nice reviews on tripadvisor, let me tell you I was surprised when I got hit with the sad reality :
Rooms : Large, yet BASIC rooms with a really tarnished furniture that looks quite old. Same goes for the bathrooms, they provide you with 2 big towels that are washed out and the bathtub looks dirty (I attached a picture) & the garbage can is of the worst I’ve seen, there should be some of the same price that look more sophisticated & less yucky!!! I must admit that the beds were quite comfy & the sheets clean. Once, my husband found a big cockroach inside the room, we assumed it was normal as we were next to the garden & the balcony was kept open, but what wasn’t normal is that when he took it outside & killed it, it stayed in the corridor during the whole stay until there were enough aunts eating from it, & you’d think some staff will pick it up.. nah, it just was a part of the picture for the rest of our stay, how sweet!
As for the sleep quality, it was fine until 9am. You’ll just hear all kinds of noise & can’t sleep over that time, people shouting of housekeepers talking out loud, even if you have ear plugs (my case) you’ll still be an early bird! Unless of course you have a room by the pool, you won't sleep before midnight & will wake up at 8am.. good morning dreamy vacation!
Food : We went for an all inclusive formula, & it was the worst idea I’ve had in years. Yes it was huge & there had been food for everyone, but it was tasteless & blunt & basic. Except maybe for the breakfast, it was ok (even if there were no fresh juices & that you had to wait for more than 20min to get an omelet). Not to mention the sandwiches in the pool area, we ended up eating only the French fries & their so called pizza. Ah, the drinks, beside the usual coke, it was a shame to serve the worst beers & wines there were in Morocco!
The service : Very slow was my first impression as it took us half an hour to check in & there were people behind yelling! & then for the rest, they were really cold & we never felt welcomed!
Hotel’s SPA : The hammam was really nice but it wasn’t warm enough. As for the massage service, the masseuse was excellent but the room TOO cold & they were using regular beds instead of the ones used for massage services!
The grounds – Other hotel’s facilities : This is why I rated the hotel as a 2 stars instead of 0.. seeing the hotel from the outside, it was beautiful, very clean & well maintained. The pool area was large & there were always enough sun beds for everyone. Also, there were tennis courses, mini golf area, excursions, shuttles to downtown & a lot of other activities going on every day. The “animation” team was really nice & the only stuff smiling during our stay.
Based on my own experience, I’ll never go back to this hotel, I think that in Marrakech there are tons of places to choose from & Descameron Issil is just not the one to pick up.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Royal Decameron Issil? Share your experiences!