“Difficult choosing the perfect riad, happy with our choice here.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Adore

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad Adore
97 Derb Tizougarine | Dar El Bacha, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #30 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Long Island City, New York
“Difficult choosing the perfect riad, happy with our choice here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

It is an arduous process to choose the right riad for you in Marrakech. I scoured Tripadvisor, other travel websites, pictures, reviews, and property websites to find the best match for me. I hope this review will help you with weighing your options.

There were 3 main things I considered when choosing this riad: price range, amenities, and location.

My price range put me either at the best room in a budget riad, or the smallest room in a luxurious riad. This will be something you should consider when selecting a riad. I thought Riad Adore was a happy medium. They also offer specials if you book directly with them. I would contact them directly and see what they can do for you. I found this to be true at many riads, so do not hesitate to contact places directly.

I really liked that this was a fairly new designed/furnished riad. I also liked that the design kept with Moroccan architecture and style. I had not selected certain riads because despite being luxurious, it didn't represent Marakkech to me. If I wanted an American or European experience, I would have stayed home or gone to Europe. In addition, other locations seemed older and worn down. I would inspect user photos for the most accurate details.

I then thought about the amenities. I initially wanted a fireplace. However, this was a difficult amenity to find without going super luxurious. I then realized that in the middle of March, there is no need for a fireplace. There are no fireplaces here. I then wanted TV and wifi. There is satellite TV with hundreds of channels on a small flat screen TV. They also provide a DVD player with an ample DVD library. The movies are not current; but, there are good solid options you might have seen already or that about 5-10 years old. We enjoyed the movies we watched. There is free wifi, but is very spotty. Some days it was better than others. I would not rely on this for any continuous use, but useful for checking email here and there.

Next to the DVD library is the honesty bar. The small fridge is stocked with red, rose, and white wine, beer, and soda. You can only take wine by the bottle for 15 Euros. The beers were 3 Euros. The soda was a little less than that. The white wine was a Sauv Blanc, it was light and great for a night cap.

We stayed in the Zahia suite. The room itself is narrow and long. I think this is common for riads, due to the shape of the buildings in general. It has a large bed; I want to say king size or close to it. There are 2 seats and a small table. The riad provides you with a huge bottle of water free daily. That was much appreciated. There is a large closet with hangers, 2 robes, shelves and a safe with key that you have to carry around. There is a separate water closet/toilet. The area with the shower/tub and 2 sinks is really beautiful. The towel warmer was good in theory, but the towel was not heated up entirely as I imagined it would be. There's also a hair dryer and scale. The riad also provides Le Sens de Marrakech toiletries to use during your stay. I would definitely use it and enjoy it! Smells heavenly. They also sell the items if you feel inclined to purchase. It is cheaper to buy at the riad than online. My one gripe about the shower is that water splashes everywhere if you are not careful. There is no curtain or anything to trap the water in the tub, so it will leak out onto the floor. We laid out towels and it was not a problem. The bathroom is too gorgeous to mess with, so it is a small price to pay. There is an A/C unit. However, there is a bright blue light that shines when you have it on, which might bother you if you are a light sleeper/sensitive to light. Bring an eye mask or forego using the A/C if you can at night.

The riad provides breakfast daily from 8-11, which you can have on their rooftop terrace or in their courtyard on the main floor (which is covered). You just give them a heads up when you are ready to eat. The rooftop terrace is so calm and pretty. But, some mornings we had to battle wasps. This is not the fault of the riad, as it is a common sight throughout Marrakech. Just something to be aware of. The breakfast itself is perfect to get you going. You have a choice of coffee or tea. Every morning you get fresh squeezed OJ, a small yogurt drink, fruit, bread, a pastry and a main dish - which differed daily from french toast, omelet, croissants, etc.

They also have a lunch option for 12 Euros or a dinner option for 25 Euros. We had dinner the day we arrived (which you book in advance). It was a 3 course meal that was divine, which included large plates of marinated carrots, salad, olive temponade, beets, lamb tagine and crepes. It was probably one of the best meals we had throughout the entire trip. We had it in the evening on the rooftop with the fireplace going. There were no wasps in sight.

In terms of location, Amal, the manager, will walk you through a map (both a hand written one to help guide you out of the riad and another larger map of the city). The location is perfect in that it is easy to get out of the side alleyways, you walk 2 "major" roads to get to the square (we timed it less than 10 minutes), and you are right by the souks. We did not get lost at all here, it was very easy to navigate. One previous poster mentioned to look for the "laughing cow" sign that is up at the main walkway into the alleyways that lead to the riad. That was very helpful and kudos for that tip. Many things will look different at night when the shops are closed, so definitely look up for signs that are permanent. We looked at signs for streets, stores and cafes along the way to remember, and took pictures in front of them just in case.

The 2 roads you walk to to get to the square - Dar El Bacha and Rue Mouassine - also have their own stores to check out along the way. We were able to do most of our shopping along these roads without having to enter the souks. We walked the souks anyway for fun. It is not as pressuring as the souks.

The restaurants closest to the hotel: Dar Moha, Cafe Arabe, Terrace des Epices. We only went to the Terrace, which was touristy but still a nice respite from all the walking. We ate in the square twice. It was so easy to reach from the riad and so much cheaper than other options. We went to Stall 1, which is in the northeast corner of the stalls. I noticed Hammam de la Rose is also very close to the riad. There is a portfolio in the room with suggestions for restaurants and activities. We also had lunch at Al Fassia in the new city/Gueliz, which Amal helped us with making a reservation. We took a taxi for 30DH total, but we took a leisurely walk back to the riad with no problems. The map she gives you is very handy. By the end of the week, we weren't even using it; as long as we made our way to the square, it was very easy to find our way back to the riad.

I also would keep your eyes opened when reading reviews about the proximity of the riads to mosques and its loudspeakers during the 5 daily prayers. I liked that Riad Adore was quiet and there was no mosque nearby. On the rooftop, you can hear the distant prayers, but it is rather soothing. It was not a problem at night. I am a very light sleeper and this was crucial to me. I did here faint prayers at 5AM in the distance, but not enough to wake me up entirely. The room is also very dim, which was heavenly for sleeping. Once it was daytime, opening up the curtains and windows filled our room with sunlight.

The riad also can help you with excursions. We took a daytrip to Atlas mountains. Nice, but there are a couple of stops along the way to try and entice you to buy items. You can politely decline. The best part of our trip was a 3 course French lunch for 150DH we had at the bottom of the waterfall. It was at an inn owned by a Frenchman (or perhaps Belgian? I apologize). It was one of the best meals we had on our trip. Otherwise, I would be weary of all the hawking that goes on along the way.

Overall, it was a great stay in a good location with appropriate amenities. The location was great and I was able to navigate the Medina with no problems. The staff is so helpful and so kind. They truly made the stay 5 star. Yes, I wish I was able to afford the luxurious riads of Marrakech, but I found this was a solid option for those that did not want to spend a fortune.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the second floor (which they call the first floor) are quieter - Fatima, Zahia...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Family and business trip combined, we chose two rooms in Riad Adore. It was an oasis in the busy and bustling Marrakech. We felt looked after, safe and relaxed there. The staff were fantastic, Amal was very knowledgeble and we could reach her at any time (my blackberry broke and she let me use her computer even though she was not there i could call her to get the password) . The accommodation is quite simply beautiful and luxurious and there were lovely extras that made it above and beyond (hairdryer and Ipod speakers in each room..) There were books to read and a great honesty bar overlooking the plunge pool. Four loungers on the roof were gorgeous in Feb so that we could catch some rays after a morning shopping. The Riad was positioned perfectly to get around and the map provided was essential and easy to read. All the food we ate (breakfast,lunch and dinner) was first class and what we considered to be very good value, the meal served to us on the first night was so memorable. The excellent Mohammed, candles twinkling and curtains pulled around the table on the roof terrace with a roaring fire and the food was perfect (the most amazing cous cous any of us has ever tasted) we will never forget it.There is really nothing we would change at all, the beds were lovely, the decor was chic, even in the beautiful stone bathroom the lovely soap was perfectly moroccan and irresistible if i ever smell it again it will take me back there

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

The Riad Adore is an amazing oasis in what is otherwise a busy bustling city..once you find your way through the little alley ways to this amazing place, it is like entering a different place altogether. Emma, is amazing and will cater to your every need...The honesty bar is a great touch, and the wine in it is lovely! Eating at the Riad is also a very nice experience, the food is out of this world, I tried so many different foods and I liked everyone of them! We stayed in the Bahia Suite, which was divine...the bath is heavenly to float around in. Nothing was too much trouble at all. Would definitely love to go back and would even take the kids! What an amazing place to stay and Marrakech is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever had the luck to visit.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Just got back from a week in Morocco with a friend. Travelling to Marrakech has been a lifelong dream and staying at the Riad Adore made it even better then i thought it would be. The riad was just beautiful and complete luxury (especially the bathrooms). Stuart, Amal, Mohammed and everyone else there went out of their way to make us feel at home; they were so kind and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We had delicious, fresh meals cooked for us and the mint tea was the best i have tasted anywhere! The roof terrace was completely stunning and so tranquil, even though we were in the middle of the medina and so close to the souks and the square, loved the fireplace. Definitely coming back after staying here, 5 stars!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Just spent the weekend in Marrakech as a birthday treat and stayed at Riad Adore. The Riad was absolutely beautiful and the manager and staff could not do enough to make us feel welcome. As soon as we arrived the manager greeted us and spent a good 20 minutes showing us maps of the area so we could orientate ourselves, recommended places to eat, gave us tips on what to look out for, and let us know how we could contact them. We were then shown to our room and around the Riad. We stayed in the Suite which was lovely and spacious. Just outside our suite was an honesty bar and reading area, and use of a computer which was connected to wifi. There was a beautiful roof terrace which had an area to sunbathe and a dining area. During the evening Mohammed who worked at night was wonderful in helping us to book a restaurant and organise a taxi for dinner and organised breakfast for us the next day.

On our second day, Mohammed brought breakfast to our room as requested, which was a wonderful mixture of pancakes, fruit, pastry, tea, coffee, yoghurt, and juice. We went out in the morning and came back for lunch at the Riad. The manager we met on arrival had a day off, so another manager who was off site telephoned us to check we were ok and asked if we needed anything. We had lunch and dinner at the Riad that day. The food was cooked to perfection. Lunch was a simple kebab with salad, but wonderfully presented and fresh fruit to finish with. Dinner we had on the roof terrace and there was an open fire burning, as at night it gets a little chilly in January, even though during the day time it got to 22 degrees! We had a three course meal and again the food was of excellent quality. As we were the only couple having dinner at the Riad it was very intimate and it felt like we had the Riad to ourselves.

As it was only a short stay we left the next morning, and again the manager was there to arrange our transfer back to the airport and ensure we had everything we needed. The staff were extremely friendly and really went out of their way to make you feel welcome. I would highly recommend this Riad and would definitely stay there again should I have the opportunity to return to Marrakech.

Room Tip: The Riad is located through a short pathway of alleys (Derbs) which is very safe and well lit. You w...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
LONDON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

I travelled to Marrakech with my sister and stayed at this gorgeous Riad for the week. We had the most amazing time and had a very comfortable room. All the Beautiful bedrooms are unique and with such great attention to detail. The Riad has been done up with exquisite taste and the the bathrooms are so luxurious! The staff are very attentive with your every need catered for with pleasure. The roof terrace is stunning with lovely white sofas and sun loungers which was very peaceful to relax at the end of the day. I would highly recommend a stay here. I am already planning a return trip!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My stay at Riad Adore was amazing!

The interior and decorations were magnificent, it felt so peaceful and relaxing inside the Riad - it is luxurious but in a traditional style. All of the bedrooms were beautiful and very comfortable. Each had a TV, Ipod doc and magnificent bathroom.

The staff were so friendly and so helpful, they made us feel very comfortable and helped us with everything we needed, helping with directions, recommending places to eat etc.
The owner of the Riad, Stuart, could not have done more to help us!

The roof terrace was tranquil and a lovely place to enjoy our breakfast. The food was delicious, all freshly bought each morning by the staff and made specifically.

The Riad is located in the heart of the medina, very convenient as it is a short walk to the main square.

The staff kindly organised for us to have a Hamman massage at their Riad, which was a good experience, and one you should definitely try!

I am a keen traveller and Marrakech is a must, as is Riad Adore.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Adore? Share your experiences!