“Returning customer” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Udine, Italy
“Returning customer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

So here I am after my second time in Marrakech and Riad Anabel (see my first review about the riad). I have read the other reviews written after mine and I'm really surprised by the only one that was complaining about breakfast and room space ('nothing special just nice'). True: the guy with the little cart that takes your luggage after the taxi drops you off in the medina forces you to tip him, but he's no Riad employee, just one of the hundreds of people that tries to take advantage of the unaware tourist. He did the same to us the first time, but never again.
In Marrakech you have to learn quite a few lessons before you know exactly how to deal with prices and people (...I'm still learning..). But it's not riad's fault. The same review says that breakfast was not sufficient... Well, see my pictures (taken on two different days) and judge yourself: coffee, tea, milk and baguette bread as much as you want (they give you what they think is enough but if you need more they're more than happy to refill) and for each guest the following: 1 glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, one slice of cake, one pastry, one moroccan crepe, one round moroccan pancake, one cream cheese, different jams (bitter orange, figue and berries), butter, honey, one yogurt and each morning one more thing different everyday: could be an egg, could be fruit salad (see pic 2,in the glass near the cup), could be an extra kind of crepe... In picture 1 you can see in the foreground bread and a plate with 4 pancakes, 4 crepes, 4 moroccan crepes, in the background the 4 slices of cakes, 4 pastries (we were 4 people...). Sorry for being so precise but now you can decide yourself if breakfast at Riad Anabel leaves you with the desire to go outside and eat again. Ok,it's not eggs, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, hashbrowns and toasted bread, but are we in UK??? No...
Now the rooms: I wouldn't really define the Rose suite as claustrophobic: there's a king size bed, a sofa, a table, chairs and plenty of space to walk around. Don't know about the shower, but I'm sure that if there was a problem it has been fixed. Habiba is VERY attentive to every little detail and always makes improvements. She takes care of the riad with a real passion. This time I have been staying in Chocolat room and to tell the truth it'is a bit small for two people but that's why it's cheaper than the other 3 rooms. I had friends staying in other riads in the medina but the cheaper rate they paid compared to Riad Anabel showed in every little thing (breakfast, cleanliness, features of the riad...). I really think Riad Anabel is the best I've seen in the medina with that range of price and that is where I'll be going back to when in Marrakech.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

My friend and I participated in a 4-hour cooking class with Habiba, who runs the riad. She took us to the market where the locals go, which was quite the experience, then we joined her in the kitchen for an extraordinary culinary experience! We learned to make three different types of moroccan salads, tangine, and a yummy desert. Spending time with the ladies provided an "authentic" moroccan experience in a welcoming and homey atmosphere. It was a breath of fresh air after several days meddling with salesmen in the souks of the medina, and I would recommend it to everyone- the cuisine, by the way, was beyond fabulous.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

From the moment we arrived in Marrakech our needs were taken care of by Habiba and her lovely staff. A taxi from the airport was ready and waiting; help to transport our luggage and guide us through the winding streeets at night co-ordinated perfectly; before we knew it we were in our candle-lit traditional riad where a delicious moroccan meal was waiting. Breakfasts were excellent- warm breads, freshly cooked eggs, cheese, jams, juice, coffee and tea - all served on the sunny roof terrace. The riad is only five minutes from the excitement of the main square yet the distant Atlas mountains are visible from the terrace. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Riad with a beautiful meal prepared specially by Habiba. Rooms are very comfortable with many traditional Moroccan features- both architectural and decorative. A highlight of our stay was the cookery lesson given by Habiba to a group of 6 of us- we learned how to prepare three authentic starters, two tagines and a desert before enjoying the meal under the stars. We were given lots of helpful advice about where to visit so that we could make the most of our time; we can recommend a caleche trip to the Jardins Majorelle, visits to the two Palaces and the Saadian Tombs, nightime on the main square, an afternoon in a spa/hammam (we loved Les Bains de Marrakech), and a grand taxi tour into the mountains.
In short, Riad Anabel is in a great location and offers great service at a fair price. We would definitely recommend it.

glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

im kinda at a loss as to why this place gets 5 star reviews from everyone?
ok so its clean and its mostly friendly but is that enough?
we arrived at night in the dark and were dropped off by the driver they had arranged to pick us up at the airport.. they drop you off on a busy rd close to the riad,
a guy with a cart is waiting for you to take you the 3 min walk to the riad.. those 3 mins are thro alleyways etc the guy says nothing until we are outside the riad in a very dark alleyway .. he looks at me at rubs his fingers so i tell my gf to give him his tip (she had the only dirhims we had got qickly at the airport) that we had read was customery and soon learned expected from everyone.. she gave him the coins we had.. 10 dirhims and he said no its 20! 20 20 20 20 he kept saying over and over we said we gave you ten he keeps saying 20 20 20 in a loud verging on aggresive way so my gf eventually had to get on her knees in the dark and rummage thro her bag to find her purse with him standing over her until she could locate a 20 .. he grabs this and also keeps the 10 in change we had already given him.. not the start you want when you are tired and new to a city ! (just wanted to add here that we didnt have any bags for this guy to carry in his cart only the one bag each we carried on the plane so all he did was show us the way from the rd to the riad not sure that deserves a 2 pound odd tip? )
welcome to riad anabel
inside is nice enough our room was the rose suite and it was very small enclosed claustrophobic feeling
plastic shower head in the room was faulty and leaked sprayed everywhere..????
bed was clean and comfortable enough ,, very quiet place..
roof terrace looks better in the pictures
i think it was habbiba who gave us directions to the djena el fna which is a 5 min walk and recommended a place to eat which was great food and great value at only 30 dirhims for a tangine so thanks for that...
breakfast consists of a few local pancakes and 1 egg each (make sure you ask for the eggs as they dont offer) and some jams etc the food they brought wasnt enough for 1 really never mind 2 people? some people on here raved about the food i just didnt get that at all? a few more pancakes would cost them nothing to offer.. the service was so slow and we just didnt feel at ease to ask for more food and felt that it should have been offered? so found ourselves buying food in the st soon after breakfast.. and no im not a massivly huge eater normally,, just normal and whilst on holiday and in a hotel enviroment in a city like that too,,, you expect to be full up on finishing breakfast so you can leave happy ready for exploring... staff need to be trained better..
as i said it is a nice enough place but for the price and having read the amazing reviews posted on here i felt dissapointed. it didnt stand out and if you can afford it stay somehwere a little more upmarket . if i went back id try somewhere new..

Porto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

Riad Anabel is most of all a paradise in the heart of Medina. Good location (5min walking from Jemma El Fna), Clean, awesome staff and a good breakfast. Definitely a good choice to stay in Marrakech.

Zürich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

We have just returned from 5 wonderful days in Marrakech. We have not seen any sign of political instability. Everything was quiet and safe and we very much enjoyed the oriental atmosphere in the Medina. We stayed at the Riad Anabel which is a very nicely renovated and decorated place where you feel at home immediately. If you are looking for a place with a great athmosphere, run by very friendly ladies, which is not at the low end of the price range, this is a place to go.

Udine, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I've just come back from Marrakech and I already miss Riad Anabel and Habiba.
I'm going to repeat briefly what it has already been said about this Riad and add maybe something new. It's spotless clean, elegant yet traditional, convenient location (if you turn right on the main road, coming from the riad, after 5 min walk there's Jemma El Fna; if you turn left instead, 2 min walk there's a small square with taxis: for 20 dirham/2 euro you can go anywhere in Marrakech, with 50-80 dirham to the airport (but you have to bargain hard). I suggest you to arrange a pick up service with the hotel when you arrive, if you don't know your way around). All rooms have very confortable beds and a beautiful moroccan style bathroom (some with shower, some with tub). Habiba will fulfill all your needs, and more... (I brought some mint plants at home with me that she found for me). We had a wonderful dinner cooked by her, I regret we didn't have more, but unfortunately there was not enough time, we wanted to try different places. But believe me, Habiba's dinner was the best of all. The Riad is just off a main road, in a very clean alley, perfectly safe area, and speaking of safety, I have to spend some words about it. Lately we have heard the news about riots in north Africa, assuming that in Morocco there is the same situation as in Libia and Tunisia..., more or less... WELL, IT'S NOT!!! Morocco has nothing to do with what is going on in North Africa. DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THE NEWS: it's safe to go to Marrakech, nothing is going on: there has been a regular manifestation in february, like we have hundreds in Europe all the time, and that was it. So, don't worry and just go to Marrakech: you'll enjoy it! Just to be sure, you can check your government web site about going abroad to risky countries (in Italy, you can check http://www.viaggiaresicuri.it/?marocco ), and you'll see that is perfectly safe. Back to the Riad, now. I really think it's the best you can find considering all factors: service, rooms, location, price. I highly reccomend it. I'll definetly go there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Riad Anabel? Share your experiences!