“Honeymoon disaster” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #188 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Sydney, Australia
“Honeymoon disaster”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I would not stay in this hotel or ever recommend it to anybody looking for an enjoyable stay in Marrakech. After being told by the owner and his Partner that our rental car would be secure and safe, we set out to enjoy Marrakech. On the second day I decided to check the car and relised it had been scratched on every panel, mirror and back wippers broken. As we had been told by the owner Mathiue it was a secure place with security, he accepted responsibility and said "what ever the cost he would pay it". He then said " he spoke to the police and we would not have any cost". when we returned the car, the total damages came to 500 Euro. We have not been able to contact him since by email or phone. The location of this riad is very dangerous especially for women!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

The riad is really beautiful and rooms are splendid.
It's very close from the souk and the Jamaa el Fna square so very convenient for sightseeing.The Home-made and fresh cooking was delicious. Moreover, the staff was very welcoming and friendly. We spent 2 wonderful nights. Unforgetable, that's my word !
Q

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011 via mobile

Lovely riad, clean and beautifully decorated. Inside was very calm and quiet which was a welcome relief after a day negotiating the crazy streets of Marrakech. Staff were very polite, friendly and easy going. Top tip: book direct with the riad and take advantage of the complementary private airport transfers.

• Stayed November 2011
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed here in August 2011 for seven nights and was sorely disapointed. This is due to the excellent reviews previous vistors have left on Trip advisor. During the first half of the stay the owner of the Riad Mathieu was away in France and the Riad was manned by the staff. I noticed a huge change of behaviour/service when he returned but I'm sure he would have been horrified to see what was going on when he wasn't there.

When I arrived at the airport I was met by the driver who would take me to Baba Ali as arranged with Mathieu as promised. I was pleased by this (30 EUR for return). On arrival to the Riad I was greeted by a young male who explained he would be looking after me during my stay and he would be spending nights in the Riad as he had night shifts.

He helped me to the Riad which is located in a maze of winding back streets. We finally reached the Riad where I was offered breakfast and refreshments and my luggage was taken to my room. The young gentleman then provided me with a map of Marrakech and a map of how to get back to Baba Ali from the main streets which proved very useful. The young gentlemen asked if I was going to dinner later and he asked if he could suggest a resturant which he knew and I allowed this. After we had eaten we had a look around the souks which are located approximately ten minutes away from the riad and as a well travelled person to third world Countries I knew what was happening... The gentleman was trying to obtain commission from shop keepers and resturant owners by bringing guests from the Riad to the businesses. I was most shocked/annoyed at this. Fair enough if the gentleman was a stranger on the street but he was an employee of the Riad. I am very sure Mathieu did not know about this. This added to the fact that there were always children outside the Riad who would pester you for money and hail cabs without your prior permission and try to grab Dirhams from you as the driver give you your change. My advice is not to give them anything as they become very aggressive and abusive. They are also somewhat a nuisence to the Riad as they constantly bang on the door and ring the doorbell.

I also found that the staff were quite rude and often spoke about me in French. What really disapointed me the most about this Riad was how unlucky I was to have stayed there while the owner was away because I had a very bad experience in this Riad.

There is a pool in the Riad which is very small and not heated and I noticed a lot of bugs and insects by it which was very unsanitary. On that note I also noticed a few hairs in my breakfast on several occassions and the food at the Riad looked and tasted very much so home made at restuarant prices.

The most positive thing I could say about the service was that the rooms were always cleaned properly by the lady who wears a head scarf... I think her name was Helema. She was always polite eventhough she didn't speak English. Although I was provided with one bar of soap for the entirity of my stay by the hand basin which was not replenished eventhough it was clear it was in need of replacing.

I would suggest to stay somewhere else other than this Riad as the location is very bad due to the children outside and the staff being so rude - playing loud music, laughing loudly early mornings, and even smoking in the Riad??!

I wouldn't recommend this Riad on my first trip to Morocco and would offer the advice that almost everybody I met there tried to con me or rip me off. Never take the first price they ask and barter it down to at least two thirds of what they have asked of you.

It's such a shame as the Riad relies heavily on it's reputation from Trip advisor...

- One very unhappy customer from London.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We've stayed in a number of riads in Morocco; this was far and away the best. It was absolutely perfect and the price was unbelievably cheap for what you got.

The design and decor were magnificent; the service impeccable; the terrace perfect for sunbathing; the food was reasonable, freshly-cooked and delicious; and the staff were very helpful.

We have read the one negative review below, regarding the location. Baba Ali is very convenient for all the sights of Marrakech and is near Djeema al Fna. yes you have to walk home through the medina, which is just the same with every other place in marrakech- if you don't like it, don't come to Marrakech. There really could be no better place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
London ,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

The Service was Excellent …The Riad was Excellent …our Trip as a hole was Fantastic
As a Family we enjoyed every minute of Morocco and to make our stay even more special the riad and service its self was amazing, we were welcomed and we really felt as the riad was our home. From playing cards under the stars at night in the terrace to a family meal in the dining room every moment was Memorable .

Thank you Mathew, Halima and Abidu who all looked after us and made our trip a hundred times better . We will be definitely coming back as a family to this riad the next time we visit morocco hopefully making even more amazing memories,
Mahdi :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We made arrangements with Mathieu via email two weeks prior to our arrival date, the response and reply was second to none to all our enquiries and concerns. On our arrival in marrakech there was a mini bus waiting to take us to the riad as promised.

First impressions enroute to riad - "what have we got ourselfs into"
Second impression - how will be find our way to and from the riad as it has many allayways"
Third impression - "WOW..... what a place exactly as described and a GEM in the middle of marrakech"
The last impression toppled everything and we soon forgot about our 1st and 2nd impression. which didnt really matter at all as the riad itself was stunning, staff very helpful and courteous food absolutly delicious which was cooked by Halima our chef. We liked her cakes sooooo much that we requested 6 to be made so we can bring it back to UK for friends and family.

Our guide and very helpful Abadi was always in hand for what every reason you might need him. He showed us around on our first day, went shopping, done negociations, helped carry our child, he basically did everything and we are truly gratful for that.

All-in-all its a must stay riad if your looking for a stunning riad, wonderful staff and brilliant location and some privacy.

Mathieu took care of organising excursions for us and as always taxi arrived promptly with a english speaking driver which helps! (and not forgetting air conditioning)

My extended family have already asked for details of the riad which they plan to visit in Sept.

Thank you Riad Baba Ali and its staff for a memorable holiday

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Riad Baba Ali? Share your experiences!