“great location, fantastic staff, good value for money” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Karmanda
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Sidi Youb | Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #538 of 1,071 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Casablanca, Morocco
“great location, fantastic staff, good value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Location is good, only 10 minutes walking to the main square. The riad is quiet and is decorated with elegance. We met with Ahmed in the skirts of Marrakech and showed us a place to park the car. At the Riad, we were given a map and were told about places of interest and what to avoid. We were also given a telephone number we could call at any time should we get lost, so someone from the riad could come and fetch us. Ahmed gave us a very warm farewell too, has he joined us by the car park. Very Good!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Darlington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

This place was far superior than expected the manager and staff are very friendly and nothing is a trouble. The meals and breakfasts are great and I they have beer and wine chilling in the fridge that's not expensive.
I got up before my friends most morning and the cook would ring me a coffee with a friendly bonjour as if reading my mind for the need of caffeine. The two young woman who keep the place spotless never stop laughing and this is very infectious and we often found ourselves laughing over nothing.
A five minute walk up a long straight road and your into the centre of the market square.I would e finally come here again it's cheap and convenient in every way.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed in this riad for 4 nights in January. A bit difficult to find, in a narrow pedestrian pathway, with no exterior signs directing you to it. Location is good if you do not mind walking 10 minutes to the main square.
The riad is quiet and is decorated with understated elegance, nothing flashy out of place.
We had a problem with the WC when we arrived and the staff immediately called a plumber and repair was done in no time. Plumbing is a bit problematic, which seems to be the case in most places in the old city.
Reception was friendly but non-intrusive, and open 24/7. We were given a map and were told about places of interest and what to avoid. We were also given a telephone number we could call at any time should we get lost, so someone from the riad could come and fetch us.
Breakfast cooked by Mina was excellent; good coffee, wonderful bread, pancakes, jams and pastry and sometimes eggs.
On the last day we left our luggage at the riad until late afternoon and we took a tea before leaving. Staff did not charge us but we left a small tip for this. Wanted to be more generous, but unfortunately they did not have change, so we paid just with coins.
A very warm farewell too. All in all a nice stay in a place with a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere. Well worth the money.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed in this riad for 4 nights in January. It is located down a rather unattractive pedestrian pathway with a falling down building to one side and is unlit, so tricky at night, but the location is very close to the square and to the souks. Once inside the front door a beautiful riad and oasis of calm awaits. The staff are the main asset of this riad and are extremely helpful and friendly. We were told by Ahmed all about the places of interest in Marrakech and given a map to help us find our way around. Mina the cook prepared lovely breakfasts for us each day of croissants with jam, eggs and pancakes. Ridouane kept us entertained in the evening supplying us with wine and nibbles and ambient music on the stereo. Our room Berbere was located on the ground floor and therefore a bit noisy if anybody was sitting on the sofas chatting in the evening, but we were offered another room on arrival and had declined it as I didn't want to tackle the stairs every day! The only other problem with the room was that if I was having a shower and somebody turned the tap on in the kitchen, my water vanished and i would have to wait for them to turn it off to continue, but this is an old building with old plumbing. The roof terrace was a nice place to relax in the sun. Overall, we paid only €39 a night for the room, so in my opinion good value for money, and worth booking for the staff alone. Thank you staff at Riad Karmanda!

Room Tip: Berbere room on the ground floor is a bit noisy if people are sitting chatting, as is the room on th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed here and were slightly disappointed to be honest. The riad is not as nice as the photos suggest and after staying in 8 riads in morroco (3 in marrakesh) I feel it is overpriced in comparison to the others as we stayed in less expensive riads that were nicer.
Staff friendly enough but breakfast was disappointing. Very dirty pool. I know it's December but it could be cleaned up a bit.
Card machine not working on check out (seems to be a recurring theme here!) so cash only. No change available which again seems to have happened before.
Nice enough but I wouldn't choose to stay here again as better riads in better locations for the money plus not having change to give us is a bit naughty!

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Us 6 stayed for 2 nights at the end of December. The rooms was lovely, clean and tidy. It was nice to have robes available for us to use as well. Coming from our tour in the sahara desert back into marrakesh, we had no idea how to get to the riad, our guide contacted the riad and someone came to pick us up which was great. The gentleman also gave us great tips especially where to go or not go in terms of buying gifts and tagines at a cheap price. We really appreciated it.

Only two negative points about this raid, a couple of my friends had a massage at a great price and they told me the room was really cold and not heated. Also, they requested us to pay for our rooms the night before because their card machine didnt work, which was also mentioned in another review which I wasn't surprised when they requested us to pay in cash. However when we provided cash, they didnt have change to give us back. I would expect them to have some form of change for their customers if their card machine is out of use.

Overall, we did have a nice stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I sadly lost our son earlier in the year and so decided we needed to 'escape' christmas and go somewhere completely different where we could 'lose' ourselves in a different culture. The day before we were due to fly, we had our passports stolen. We contacted all of the riads and tour companies we had booked and promptly cancelled. ALL of them cancelled without charge EXCEPT this riad. I understand that we had booked a non-refundable suite but they took the money from my account 11 days before we were due to check in! In fact it was within minutes of me emailing them to explain our situation.
To make matters worse, our hotel room is now advertised elsewhere on the internet so please please understand that if you stay in the Marjorelle suite on the 31st Dec it has already been paid for so you will be paying them twice for the same room!
I apologise if this seems like a rant but I suppose I try and see the good in people that is sometimes just not there.
This Riad is very popular and they had plenty of opportunity to re sell our room given the circumstances and the notice they were given.
Please think twice before giving your debit card details to a hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hadikamaria, Gérant at Riad Karmanda, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear customers tripadvisor

We hope that you will not hold account of this criticism.
In fact, these customers have booked a non-refundable room on booking.com and asked us many times to change their reservation (by reducing the number of nights) was accepted as their reservation was non-refundable and non-changeable means .
Here you can see booking.com conditions :
Applicable Cancellation Policy Please note, if cancelled, modified or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged.
Applicable Deposit Policy The total price of the reservation will be charged on the day of booking.
We confess to some doubt on the good liver those customers who still reduced the number of nights to finally cancel.
In addition, these customers could come up with a simple identification with a voucher from us.
Our riad offers refundable reservations for customers who are not sure they can come to the riad or aillant afraid to have a problem before leaving.
I must say that I was expecting this review following a number of very threatening emails from this person (who I would like to clarify, never stayed in our Riad).
This is why I offered credit (15% of the cancellation fee!) to this guest on his rescheduled trip to Marrakech.
My offer meant that he would be able to stay in our Riad for 15%, but what I received as a response, was a number of rude and aggressive emails, that were very uncomfortable to read...
I am not a greedy or insensitive person and this is why I have come up with the above arrangement, which I offer to guests who cancel in unusual circumstances.
In the past few years, I had the pleasure of welcoming thousands of guests in our Riad and I have never experienced anything like the rudeness and bullying that I did in this case...

Laetitia

Been to Riad Karmanda? Share your experiences!