“UNCOMPASSIONATE, DISHONEST” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #571 of 1,128 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“UNCOMPASSIONATE, DISHONEST”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I sadly lost our son earlier in the year and so decided we needed to 'escape' christmas and go somewhere completely different where we could 'lose' ourselves in a different culture. The day before we were due to fly, we had our passports stolen. We contacted all of the riads and tour companies we had booked and promptly cancelled. ALL of them cancelled without charge EXCEPT this riad. I understand that we had booked a non-refundable suite but they took the money from my account 11 days before we were due to check in! In fact it was within minutes of me emailing them to explain our situation.
To make matters worse, our hotel room is now advertised elsewhere on the internet so please please understand that if you stay in the Marjorelle suite on the 31st Dec it has already been paid for so you will be paying them twice for the same room!
I apologise if this seems like a rant but I suppose I try and see the good in people that is sometimes just not there.
This Riad is very popular and they had plenty of opportunity to re sell our room given the circumstances and the notice they were given.
Please think twice before giving your debit card details to a hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hadikamaria, Gérant at Riad Karmanda, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear customers tripadvisor

We hope that you will not hold account of this criticism.
In fact, these customers have booked a non-refundable room on booking.com and asked us many times to change their reservation (by reducing the number of nights) was accepted as their reservation was non-refundable and non-changeable means .
Here you can see booking.com conditions :
Applicable Cancellation Policy Please note, if cancelled, modified or in case of no-show, the total price of the reservation will be charged.
Applicable Deposit Policy The total price of the reservation will be charged on the day of booking.
We confess to some doubt on the good liver those customers who still reduced the number of nights to finally cancel.
In addition, these customers could come up with a simple identification with a voucher from us.
Our riad offers refundable reservations for customers who are not sure they can come to the riad or aillant afraid to have a problem before leaving.
I must say that I was expecting this review following a number of very threatening emails from this person (who I would like to clarify, never stayed in our Riad).
This is why I offered credit (15% of the cancellation fee!) to this guest on his rescheduled trip to Marrakech.
My offer meant that he would be able to stay in our Riad for 15%, but what I received as a response, was a number of rude and aggressive emails, that were very uncomfortable to read...
I am not a greedy or insensitive person and this is why I have come up with the above arrangement, which I offer to guests who cancel in unusual circumstances.
In the past few years, I had the pleasure of welcoming thousands of guests in our Riad and I have never experienced anything like the rudeness and bullying that I did in this case...

Laetitia

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

stayed 3 nights. Nice rooms and breakfast.
Very peaceful considering the chaos outside.
Will def go back. Zaccaria was very helpful with us and we did pay by credit card with no problems. The pool was a bit dirty but in december i suppose you dont need a pool.
They even let me see my e mails at reception which was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Have just returned from our 4 day break staying in Riad Karmanda. What a lovely Riad it is. So peaceful and clean amid the chaos of the old Medina of Marrakech. Mina cooked us a lovely meal on our arrival which was very welcome after our journey. A taxi collected us from the airport and thankfully took us to Riad Karmanda, I dont think we would have found it otherwise. The driver abandoned his car in the busy streets and led us dirctly to the door. Our room was small but adequate, clean with complimentary soap, shampoo, shower gel and bath robes.

There is a lovely roof terrace to sit in the evening with a glass of wine of take the sun with sun beds during the day. Also made use of the plunge pool was was very refreshing after our day trips around Marrakech.

Do try a Hammam, what an experience, the Riad staff are on hand to provide these and massage at a very good price.

Breakfast was lovely with rolls, croissants, pancakes, muffins, coffee and orange juice. Plenty to set you up for the day.

The Riad is very close to Djemaa el-fna main square (about 10-15 mins walk) which just has to be visited at night, fantastic food, fantastic atmosphere. Interesting walk to the square avoding motorbikes, mopeds, horses, donkeys, cars and pedestrians but we took enjoyed this as part of the whole experience of Marrakech. We found the local people to be friendly and helpful, especially when we got lost!

We very much enjoyed our stay at this Riad, it was a real taste of Morroco, close to everything and all the staff were very helpful, especially Zachariah who helped organise taxi's and informed us of places to see/things to do.

Would definitely recommend to my friends/family

Room Tip: We stayed in the Berbere Room which is a twin room on the ground floor right next to the plunge pool...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Despite having read good reviews for Riad Karmanda before our stay, it really didn't live up to its description and we were disappointed. The manager was sleazy and tried to over charge us for our stay. We were unable to use credit card as advertised so cash was the only option, which wasn't a big deal. We paid for a taxi to the train station but it turned out the driver was not paid and expected payment from us - make sure you get a receipt for all payments! Pool was dirty, rooms were ok but towels not washed - just dried in the sun and returned to our room still smelling! Breakfast was stale, also only available after 8.30 - so you miss out if leaving early. At other riads we stayed at this was worked around. We stayed at much cheaper places during our time in Morocco that really excelled in comparison to Riad Karmanda.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We've stayed here for the third time and it surely felt as coming home. Also because of the welcoming staff who remember you and just start connecting again where we left it last time.
Also they give us the same rooms every time which makes you feel like 'owning' the sleeping room.
Ahmed is always there to help you out, arrange drivers and give you good tips.

• Stayed August 2012
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This is a nice Riad in the not so touristy part of the Medina which added to the experience. It is an intriguing 15 minute walk from Jamaa el Fna Square with plenty of motorbike dodging and funny encounters with the local hustlers. The Riad itself is clean and quiet. Ahmed was very helpful. The rooms are a little dark but comfortable, however the bathroom could do with being stocked better (i.e. when the soap/toilet paper runs out it's not replaced) The Plunge pool is nice and refreshing in the soaring 40C midday heat. The in-house Hammam is worth the experience. The breakfast was lovely but we were dissapointed on the last morning when we were told we would have something small left out for us because of our 7am departure only to receive nothing in the end. We would of preferred an honest answer when we arranged this the night before!

Room Tip: Bring your own toiletries...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The good:
A nice helpful welcome on our arrival, showing us where we were, where things we wanted to see were located, directions etc. The rooms were nice and clean with a very comfortable bed, and nice Moroccan style bathroom. Riad itself was quite modern (more so perhaps than the photos suggest) though pleasant enough.

The not so good:
The riad is nice enough, but in my opinion a little more tired and more modern/less atmospheric than the photos suggest. There is a bedroom that one enters from the roof terrace so not ideal for having a natter in the evenings if occupied. The plunge pool was a little cloudy/milky coloured so not that inviting. Roof terrace was a bit tatty but ok.

Though the Riad is not that far from the djemaa el fna main square (around 15 minute walk) the road that leads there is unbelievably busy and quite frankly a bit of a pain to negotiate with motorbikes and throngs of people, often one comes to a total standstill at various bottlenecks along the way. Where the Riad is located seems to be quite removed from most tourist places, all the shops along the road to the square near the riad are local essentials, motorbike repair shops, household goods, small local food joints, etc. I've stayed in Marrakesh several times before and the journey to the square has been considerably shorter/less stressful to negotiate, this location made me appreciate these other locations that much more in hindsight.

Also a few things about the riad itself, I was quite disappointed when one breakfast I wasn't quite finished and went to the room to get something, came back and my breakfast had been cleared, no big deal I was almost done anyway. While waiting for my friends to finish theirs I ordered an orange juice and was pretty disappointed to find that I had been charged for this on the final checkout bill. Small I know but not really the best hospitality, if I'd asked for another breakfast ok, but an orange juice that costs, in the land of oranges, pennies to make pretty poor in my books. The riad we stayed in in Essaouira actually provided coffee, and half a breakfast for my friend who came over in the mornings from his riad elsewhere, no cost.

Finally on the last day when it came to paying we were told the card machine was out of order and we would have to go get cash to pay. In this day and age that seems pretty unacceptable to me, either have a spare card machine or and arrangement with another business to cover such eventualities, so as not to expect customers to incur costs withdrawing fairly large sums of money (there were 4 of us) and inconvenience of having to go to the main square to withdraw cash and come back again. Lucky we asked in plenty of time to go get monies. Also we specifically asked for breakfast the night before at 8am as we had a taxi at 8:30 to take us to the airport and were a bit annoyed to have got up, packed and come downstairs to wait for 20 minutes while the breakfast was organised, having to bolt it down to make our taxi.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Karmanda? Share your experiences!