“Made us feel like home!” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Ajebel
derb chotuka 91, kasbah, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #175 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Made us feel like home!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This Riad is cosy, inviting and homey. My granddaughter and i were so comfortable here. The staff were warm and accommodating and helpful in organizing our day excursions. We were right inside the Medina so just a 20 minute walk to the center square and all the sooks that run off it.
Our room, while a little on the dark side, had very comfortable beds and a bath tub that was so long I could lie down in it and not touch either end! I am 5'5'. A great experience!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AjebelMarrakech, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Riad Ajebel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for these beautifull words . i never know what to say and i dont want to always say the same but the only thing i can say is that i am so happy that you felt the magic of the place and that i could make your stay full of ligth
We wait for you always

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have just returned from a long weekend in Marrakesh and I have to say that staying in this beautiful Riad made the whole experience very special.

Perfectly situated 10-15 minutes from the main square, this oasis was everything I hoped it would be (having read a number of excellent reviews).

Throughout our stay Corinne was simply faultless - and I can now see why so many reviewers mention her directly. Before travelling, she responded quickly to our initial enquiry, giving valuable advice on changing money and arranging transfer from the Airport as well as having Fatma cook us an incredible, authentic moroccan meal ready for our evening arrival.

Marrakesh is a little bonkers and initially can be intimidating - but any concerns I had evaporated as soon as we stepped out of the minibus to be warmly greeted by a smiling Corinne and led inside this stunning building.

Once we settled into our room (every but as beautiful as it had looked on the website) we moved up to the cool terrace to enjoy a cold beer and some nibbles while the table was laid. I have to admit that I expected the Tagine to be delicious - and it really was. However, the rest of the meal was easily just as good. The salad was juicy and fresh, simply divine along with the gorgeous home-made bread (still warm). And I can honestly say that the strawberries for dessert were by far the best strawberries I've ever tasted.

That first evening set us up for a lovely time in Marrakesh. Despite having been warned about aggressive market traders, we found the locals to be very direct, very friendly and great fun!

We enjoyed another lovely meal on the Riad terrace on our last night and although we had some nice meals in the town, nothing came close to the food served at the Riad.

The room was cleaned everyday (despite us saying that this really wasn't necessary) and the towels / toiletries provided were lovely.

The town itself is a feast for the senses - intense heat, colour, tastes and smells with the constant hubub of the souks in the background whereever you go. This calm, tranquil Riad was the perfect base to recharge and recover ready for the following day's excitement. And if you think you deserve a real treat - ask Corinne to arrange a Hammam Massage for you - incredible!

Room Tip: We stayed in Annar - a lovely romantic room for a couple
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AjebelMarrakech, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Riad Ajebel, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you you two for these kind words
I am so happy to have made your staying a real pleasure and I always wait to see you again among us
It was a pleasure to have you and making you happy was so nice because you allways have nice words for us .
Marrakech is a magic town and we try to make the riad a peacefull place for you
Another time thank you thank you thank you
Sincerement
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

This little riyad has five individually decorated rooms in a tasteful example of the hippie chic that Marrakesh designers are known for. Corinne, the manager and hostess is there every day and acted as our guide and pampered us throughout our stay. The ground floor has an inner courtyard with a tiny but deep pool for cooling off in summer months, and some rooms, the first floor has rooms overlooking the courtyard, and the top floor is a rooftop terrace where the breakfast of Moroccan flatbreads and pancakes, fig jam, cheese, eggs and other treats is served by the cook Fatma on sunny days. There is a hammam and massage room that accommodates one person at at time.

The location was excellent - the back door leads into the quiet Qasbah neighbourhood through which you can easily walk to the medina in about 15-20 minutes, while the front door leads onto a not too busy road easily accesible to taxis, unlike many of the riyads you will find. We found taxis essential to access the new town (Guéliz) where many of the best restaurants are located, but enjoyed staying in the much more picturesque old town.

We needed to unwind after some gruelling months at work and this was the perfect place

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sina , a hope the Lion is you ; ))
I think so because the way you write goes well with who you are !
beautifull words and so beautifull writting and it makes everything very special
Thank you so much for being with us sharing these days..... that was so nice
Big kisses to you two
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Riad Ajebel was the best imaginable place for our one week trip to Marrakech: Perfectly located in a quiet part of the Medina with the charm of a living quarter, with all sights in walking distance and great sight over the Atlas mountains. Food, facilities and service impressed us with impeccable attention to detail. The Riad's Hammam and Massage were a luxurious and professional relaxation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AjebelMarrakech, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Riad Ajebel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Hello you two

thank you for your words on triadvisor . They were so nice and always make me happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us !!
I wait to see you for another week end ... maybe if you are fedup of rain and cold ; ))
You know that you are more than welcome in the riad .
You have still so many places to see
Big big Hugs to both of you
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our first time in Marrakech and we couldn't have hoped for a better place to stay, so welcoming and so genuinely kind and helpful, with advice on where might be good to explore and how to get there... we were always getting lost in the back streets but that was part of the fun. I would hardly call this Riad a hotel - it was more a home - yet with privacy if we needed, everything clean and comfortable, natural soaps and potions in the pretty shower room, relaxed and filling breakfasts in the internal garden, and a lovely roof garden too with sofas and soft loungers to hang out on which we did sometimes before falling into our comfortable beds after a long day exploring. We felt as if we were honoured guests in the loveliest of homes - it has the most beautiful traditional decor - with the genuine friendliness and concern of our host Corinne and the beautiful breakfasts prepared by Fatma. Riad Ajebel is built within the oldest part of the city wall near the King's palace, with understated front door outside the walled city and a back door into a quiet little passage that connects street by street gradually to the busy centre of old Marrakech only fifteen leisurely minutes walk away. What a beautiful and friendly introduction to Marrakech we had there. We stayed four nights. I can't recommend Riad Ajebel highly enough!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AjebelMarrakech, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Riad Ajebel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
thank you Ben , I answer already but I thing I send it to another person !!! I really wanted to thank you even a little late for you wonderfull words . I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that we made your travel as nice as possible
All our best regards to you two
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Riad Ajebel for a week and couldn't have wished for a better base in Marrakech. From the moment the manager, Corrine greeted us with a welcoming hug at the door we felt relaxed and looked after. A feeling that continued throughout our stay.

On arrival we were taken to our spotlessly clean and comfortable room to freshen up before being served an amazing tanjine prepared by the Riad's cook, Fatima. Corrine introduced us to the Riad, gave us maps and advice and offered to arrange day trips to the Mountains and Coast. Every day Corrine was on hand to offer advice and fetch endless cups of mint tea, to the lounge, to our room, to the terrace...

The Riad itself is delightful. Its set in the walls of the Old Town (but really isn't far to the New Town - we did it on foot but it'd take no time at all if you went by cab) away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist spots (but easily close enough to explore on foot or by taxi). Nothing is too much for the staff. You want food - they prepare it. You want a massage - they arrange it (on site). You want a daytrip - they will arrange a reliable driver.

We stayed over New Year and enjoyed a delicious feast with the other guests - a friendly and interesting collection of people from Germany, Italy and the Ivory Coast! Corrine entertained us all and even made the other guests speak English for the benefit of my boyfriend and I (cringe - I really must start those French lessons).

If you are looking for a riad at the heart of all the action then Riad Ajebel may not be for you but for those looking for peace and quiet within easy reach of the action then I couldn't recommend anywhere more highly.

Top tip - there is a five star hotel (Les jardin de la Medina) just around the corner - for those of us who can't afford that luxury they are more than happy for you to have drinks in their bar or a tasty (but pricey) meal in their restaurant.

I enjoyed my trip so much I have recommended the Riad to friends and I'm trying to persuade my boyfriend to take me back for a long-weekend!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AjebelMarrakech, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Riad Ajebel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
I am so sorry I just saw your words on triadvisor !!!
no matter I am so happy to see that you had a beautifull time with us and I am waiting to see you on A WEEK END !!!
You know that here you have your home
Thank you so much for everything ....fatmas breakfast and food is waiting for you ... and the sun ... and the heat .... and me ; )
Come for the mariage !!!
Kisses for you two
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Being my first visit to Marrakech I had no idea what to expect at all. I wanted to experience something real and different from the norm, which this city truly is! I also wanted to relax and enjoy myself.. And in Marrakech and the surrounding area you can certainly do that! That said it can be a bit intimidating if its your first time, and it can get a bit hectic. This is why Riad Ajebel is so perfect. Situated a little out from the centre in the beautiful old Medina wall its the perfect distance away from the major hustle and bustle - about a 10 to 15 minute walk. Some reviews have put this down as a negative - it is not. You get to see a bit of what the city is really like away from all the tourists without being too far away from the action... Its the best of both worlds.
Inside Riad Ajebel it is absolutely stunning. You really feel like you are having not just a holiday or trip, but an experience to remember. Its decorated in traditional style, with beautiful doors, furniture and pottery. It is also incredibly comfy and relaxing and the communal spaces (a fantastic terrace and hypnotically peaceful lounge area) instantly feel like an exotic , luxurious version of home - great after a long day walking in the mountains or markets nearby! You can also experience a Hammam and massage while you're there - dont be scared, its amazing!
The bedrooms are also beautifully done, always clean (as is the whole place), and i slept perfectly every night!
As for the best feature - It has to be Corinne the host, who helped us plan each day , gave us helpful advice, was always friendly and had time for us , and of course filled us with lovely tea!!
I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Ajebel? Share your experiences!