“beautiful, lovely, relaxing, welcoming...” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Ajebel
derb chotuka 91, kasbah, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #161 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Brighton, United Kingdom
“beautiful, lovely, relaxing, welcoming...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our first time in Marrakech and we couldn't have hoped for a better place to stay, so welcoming and so genuinely kind and helpful, with advice on where might be good to explore and how to get there... we were always getting lost in the back streets but that was part of the fun. I would hardly call this Riad a hotel - it was more a home - yet with privacy if we needed, everything clean and comfortable, natural soaps and potions in the pretty shower room, relaxed and filling breakfasts in the internal garden, and a lovely roof garden too with sofas and soft loungers to hang out on which we did sometimes before falling into our comfortable beds after a long day exploring. We felt as if we were honoured guests in the loveliest of homes - it has the most beautiful traditional decor - with the genuine friendliness and concern of our host Corinne and the beautiful breakfasts prepared by Fatma. Riad Ajebel is built within the oldest part of the city wall near the King's palace, with understated front door outside the walled city and a back door into a quiet little passage that connects street by street gradually to the busy centre of old Marrakech only fifteen leisurely minutes walk away. What a beautiful and friendly introduction to Marrakech we had there. We stayed four nights. I can't recommend Riad Ajebel highly enough!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AjebelMarrakech, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Riad Ajebel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
thank you Ben , I answer already but I thing I send it to another person !!! I really wanted to thank you even a little late for you wonderfull words . I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and that we made your travel as nice as possible
All our best regards to you two

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Riad Ajebel for a week and couldn't have wished for a better base in Marrakech. From the moment the manager, Corrine greeted us with a welcoming hug at the door we felt relaxed and looked after. A feeling that continued throughout our stay.

On arrival we were taken to our spotlessly clean and comfortable room to freshen up before being served an amazing tanjine prepared by the Riad's cook, Fatima. Corrine introduced us to the Riad, gave us maps and advice and offered to arrange day trips to the Mountains and Coast. Every day Corrine was on hand to offer advice and fetch endless cups of mint tea, to the lounge, to our room, to the terrace...

The Riad itself is delightful. Its set in the walls of the Old Town (but really isn't far to the New Town - we did it on foot but it'd take no time at all if you went by cab) away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist spots (but easily close enough to explore on foot or by taxi). Nothing is too much for the staff. You want food - they prepare it. You want a massage - they arrange it (on site). You want a daytrip - they will arrange a reliable driver.

We stayed over New Year and enjoyed a delicious feast with the other guests - a friendly and interesting collection of people from Germany, Italy and the Ivory Coast! Corrine entertained us all and even made the other guests speak English for the benefit of my boyfriend and I (cringe - I really must start those French lessons).

If you are looking for a riad at the heart of all the action then Riad Ajebel may not be for you but for those looking for peace and quiet within easy reach of the action then I couldn't recommend anywhere more highly.

Top tip - there is a five star hotel (Les jardin de la Medina) just around the corner - for those of us who can't afford that luxury they are more than happy for you to have drinks in their bar or a tasty (but pricey) meal in their restaurant.

I enjoyed my trip so much I have recommended the Riad to friends and I'm trying to persuade my boyfriend to take me back for a long-weekend!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AjebelMarrakech, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Riad Ajebel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
I am so sorry I just saw your words on triadvisor !!!
no matter I am so happy to see that you had a beautifull time with us and I am waiting to see you on A WEEK END !!!
You know that here you have your home
Thank you so much for everything ....fatmas breakfast and food is waiting for you ... and the sun ... and the heat .... and me ; )
Come for the mariage !!!
Kisses for you two
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Being my first visit to Marrakech I had no idea what to expect at all. I wanted to experience something real and different from the norm, which this city truly is! I also wanted to relax and enjoy myself.. And in Marrakech and the surrounding area you can certainly do that! That said it can be a bit intimidating if its your first time, and it can get a bit hectic. This is why Riad Ajebel is so perfect. Situated a little out from the centre in the beautiful old Medina wall its the perfect distance away from the major hustle and bustle - about a 10 to 15 minute walk. Some reviews have put this down as a negative - it is not. You get to see a bit of what the city is really like away from all the tourists without being too far away from the action... Its the best of both worlds.
Inside Riad Ajebel it is absolutely stunning. You really feel like you are having not just a holiday or trip, but an experience to remember. Its decorated in traditional style, with beautiful doors, furniture and pottery. It is also incredibly comfy and relaxing and the communal spaces (a fantastic terrace and hypnotically peaceful lounge area) instantly feel like an exotic , luxurious version of home - great after a long day walking in the mountains or markets nearby! You can also experience a Hammam and massage while you're there - dont be scared, its amazing!
The bedrooms are also beautifully done, always clean (as is the whole place), and i slept perfectly every night!
As for the best feature - It has to be Corinne the host, who helped us plan each day , gave us helpful advice, was always friendly and had time for us , and of course filled us with lovely tea!!
I will definitely be returning!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with friends for 3 nights and the service we received was second to none. The riad itself is beautiful, the rooms spacious and the centre courtyard ands roof terrace extremely relaxing. Breakfast prepared by Fatima every morning was perfect for a day of exploring what Marrakech has to offer. Corrine was full of friendly advice and helped us with all of our needs day or night including booking our excursion to the waterfalls in the Atlas Valley and booking a room for our friends onward journey. I would highly recommend getting a hammam as I probably haven't felt as relaxed and tension free as I did afterwards in recent memory. Finally the Tea.....I drank a lot and enjoyed every single beautiful cup. I could go on and on how amazing this place is (and will at length to family and friends) but this place is somewhere you have to stay not only for the first class service but a true authentic Moroccan experience.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Raid Ajebel is wonderful, built into the walls of the Medina and its full of beauty inside too. The whole place is is tastefully decorated,the rooms are really pretty and the bathrooms are divine and spotless.
Food, Fatima,food ( the special Queen cook of the raid) and food, if its important to you to eat really beautifully prepared food, then eating at the raid is a must. The breakfast is delicious, fresh, home cooking at its best, Best chicken and herb tagine ever and you can if you want have wine with that, excellent wine too!
Our host was Corinne and we cannot thank her enough for all her help, advice , directions and so much more. Corinne helped us rent a car and even helped us drive out of Marrakech, goodness knows how we would have managed without her.
We walked everywhere from the raid and it was easy because Corinne always worked it out with us on the map and with her directions we never got lost ( we had her number just incase). The raid is well located, its only 10,15 mins walk to the place jemaa el fna, we liked that we were just out of the hustle and bustle.
We started our 18 day trip of Morocco at Raid Ajebel and had full intentions of booking another raid to finish our trip in marrakech but all 5 of us agreed that since the Raid was beautiful, Fatima's food excellent and Corinne the coolest, caring person we could hope to meet....We booked to stay again on our return and luckily for us they had 2 rooms!And then we met Uma the owner, who is lovely of course. Excellent , truly perfect.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good, just choose one you like the look of.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
AjebelMarrakech, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Riad Ajebel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you Karen for your very kind words .
So happy to have your family sharing these beautifull moments in the riad
I will say to Fatma for the food but you told her allready and you know how she like them ; ))
I really look foward to see you again ... another trip to marrakech .??? and take your bag for a marocain kitty ; ))
MAny kisses to you...and Blaise and the BIG children (always children for you anyways !!!!)
corinne
Edegem, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Riad in a very old building, situated at the outer wall of the Medina. The Riad has been renovated in the 'traditional' style, is absolutely beautiful, and an oasis of peace & quiet away from bustling Marrakech. Rooms are very charming and clean. The owner is a young, friendly guy, who acts as a perfect host. I only stayed one night at the Riad but when I left to head for the High Atlas mountains, he quickly assembled a small plastic back with goodies for the children in the Berber villages up in the mountains... a nice illustration of his personality. The only downside of the Riad is that it is located at the outskirts of the Medina so it's a solid walk to e.g. 'la place', which at the end of a long, hot day, can be a bummer. But hey, there's cheap taxis so it's a minus but should certainly not be a showstopper.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Where to begin!? Words cannot convey the pleasures we experienced during our stay at Riad Ajebel. Perhaps you have always dreamt of a trip to Morocco, and perhaps Marrakech; then you start your research, as you dream. Maybe it is a bit overwhelming, the choices. A big hotel, or a Riad? And if a Riad, which one?! As someone who has travelled many continents and countries, and explored many cultures, I can, without a breath's hesitation recommend to you the Riad Ajebel. A true Oasis of calm and magic, run so smoothly by a caring, creative, intelligent, and sensitive staff, offering a truly authentic experience. Forget the big hotels – they are the same the world over.

First, Ajebel arranged for our transport from the Marrakech Airport to the Riad, which was a great relief and convenience. As we exited the baggage area, we were met by Fawad, who was holding a clear sign with our name on it. He greeted us with a warm smile and offered help with the baggage. He also explained things about exchanging money, and waited as we exchanged our cash there at the airport.
A brief 10 minutes drive and we had arrived at the Riad. The first thing you see is nothing. Just a mysterious ochre wall. And your heart beats faster. You see, Riad Ajebel is built into the ancient walls of the Medina of Marrakech. It is from the 11th century, and in the Kasbah! And also around the corner from the King's Palace. You walk through the heavy doors and there you are in the beautiful oasis that is Ajebel. A true Riad, with the courtyard, a lovely tiled fountain, and a grand palm tree growing up through the center into the Moroccan sky.

We were welcomed by a refined young man named Ilyas.
He speaks many languages, so there is no concern there if your Arabic studies are not up to snuff. Ilyas told us not to worry about our bags, so we left them in the foyer, and he then ushered us into the lush lounging area around the courtyard. Everything there is beautiful, the furniture, the lighting and fixtures, the fresh intoxicating smells. We were presented with a beautiful tea ceremony, where Ilyas explained Moroccan cultural and historical meanings to us. How lovely after a long journey, to be anointed with perfumed water, and to sip (the best!) Moroccan mint tea poured from a giant silver pot. He even explained how he makes it.
There, sitting inside this beautiful Riad (which incidentally, we also soon learned, once housed the extended family of the King, hundreds of years ago!), something then starts to click. About Morocco, about life in the Arabic world. This turning inward, where life was/is focused inward. The privacy. With no windows to the outside world. One starts to embrace this inward reflection in such a magical place.
After briefly retiring to our room, which by the way was just gorgeous (lovely bedding, antique tribal wall hanging, soft lighting), we found that our bags were there already. The room smelled deliciously of warm cedar, the colors warm and romantic.
We then met Fatimah, a gentle and blessed soul, with the face and calm of an angel. Fatimah is a genius when it comes to food. She made us an insanely delicious breakfast every morning (more on that soon!)

Then... the best for last, we meet Uma. How can one describe Uma with any other word than Goddess? The true meaning of the word. Uma is the proprietor of Riad Ajebel, and she is the reason why everything there is flawless. From the amazing staff, to her incredible taste, no detail is left unturned. The perfect marriage of Orient and Occident is channeled through her great attention to style and detail. But mostly it is her incredible warmth and her deep soul and spirit that come across, and you soon realize that she knows a thing or two about life. By the way, Uma's mother tongue is Spanish, so if you are able to speak Spanish, you will be lucky to speak with her. If not, she will still offer you her radiant smile and her tireless hospitality. There is always someone else on hand to communicate in English, btw, if that is your only language.

We ended up staying at Ajebel for seven nights. We hadn't initially planned on that, but after breaking from Marrakech for some time in Essaouira, and then not being nearly as enchanted with that town, we came back early, and lucky for us there was a room available at Ajebel. We stayed in two rooms there, that were both lovely, with great big bathtubs, and beautiful tadelakt work. I also got to peek into the other rooms, and can say that all the rooms are wonderful! Just pick your element! My favorite was Annar (fire!)

Every morning, whenever we chose to wake up, there would be the most incredible homemade breakfast for us, that Fatimah would make, with a beautiful table set for us either in the courtyard, or up on the lovely terrace where one can view the Atlas Mountains in the distance. Fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh fruits, or fruit salad, her homemade breads, honey and preserves, homemade butter, and these incredible Moroccan crepes that Anthony Bourdain would be peeing his pants over. And your choice of tea or coffee. She even had hot milk for the coffee. We were so spoiled!!!

Another highlight of Ajebel was getting the hammam and massage there. Of course Uma only has the best people work for her. Ajebel is really more of a family than anything, sharing the same warmth and sensibility. Before our treatments, we found two beautiful long white tunics folded on our bed, with the corresponding undergarments necessary, and pretty colorful babouches for our feet. The bed and tunics were also decorated with red rose petals. Another lovely touch. The women giving the hammam and massage were both named Ilham. It's no irony that the Arabic meaning of this name is "intuition," of which both these sweet and skilled practitioners were full, in their sensitive ministrations to us. They are great at what they do! My husband and I had our treatments in tandem, so it was nice to be sitting together later calm and relaxed, as we sipped the mint tea waiting for us after our massages. It is also divine to feel so clean and relaxed after a day exploring the intensity that is Marrakech!

Also on the staff is a lovely multilingual woman named Sophie, who tended to things when Uma wasn't around, and an enchanting man named Younes, who is a luminous and dear person, and a very fine musician. He was so very helpful and kind to us.
Because we felt so welcomed and at home at Ajebel, we also chose to have many of our dinners at Ajebel. Younes, or Uma, or Fatimah would cook amazing food, the table scattered with rose petals. Even wine was arranged (not easy to come by in this part of town). It was like being pampered in our own private palace. Everything they do is beautiful and delicious because it is done with love and generosity of spirit.

I could easily go on, because there seems so much more to mention and convey – the dozens of fresh roses stuffed in vases, the intoxicating, yet subtle scents softly wafting through the Riad, their great taste in music, that drifts softly through the sound system, the incredible natural bath products that Uma creates, Fatimah's outstanding eggplant salad, the private concert Younes arranged, featuring an exemplary young Gnawa named Adil who has a voice that will melt your heart... You must come explore and see for yourself! Oh, and there is wireless Internet, a great convenience, lest you need to reach out to the outside world.

We will never forget our honeymoon stay at Ajebel, and the beautiful gracious people we met, who now feel like our extended Moroccan family. It was an unforgettable stay, in an unpretentious, elegant, flawlessly clean, magical and inviting environment. One day we hope to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Ajebel? Share your experiences!