We visited Marocco this September and stayed in the riad 3 nights. I was not sure if we like it, so I booked it for 1 night at first and when we came back to Marrakesh I booked it for extra nights as we liked the riad and the owner Joelle so much. This is not a budget option but all the prices and services are very reasonable.
1. Host. It is easy to deliver when things go as planned and much more difficult when issues arrise. Joelle is amazing - very quick to respond to emails and make arrangements. Her English is perfect to communicate and she is very clear on arrangements made. The other staff do not speak that much English but definitely enough to communicate (my partner was poorly and it was easy to make arrangements on tea and water when needed).
What we loved so much is there was a misunderstanding with the airline and their live departures board published earlier take off times (1 hour!), which we found out having our dinner with only 1 hour to go before the flight. Joelle was amazing - she called the taxi driver and rearranged for him to come sooner and helped us carry our bags to the car.
2. Taxi. We landed late, so I asked her to book a taxi to pick us up. Luckily! We waited for over 1.5 hour at passport control (just because staff were so slow and there were so few of them). Our taxi driver Mr Abdul waited for us at the airport for 1.5 hour anyway not knowing we are stuck!
3. Food. Dinners are lovely. We had a 3 course dinner with wine which was yummy! I would recommend it as a treat on arrival or before departure with a bottle of Maroccan wine from Meknes. It is priced very reasonably and excellent quality.
4. Breakfasts are lush and fill you up for the day: you get a selection of pastries, yogurt, juice, cakes, crumbles, fruit, tea and coffee. The only improvement on this could be fresh orange juice. I also enjoyed omelet for breakfast. We only had 2 meals a day as breakfast was so nice and gave us plenty of energy for the day.
P.S. Joelle, you should take orders for lunch as well as it would have been excellent to dine on the roof terrace (when we asked there was no food available as we did not book in advance).
5. Rooms are beautiful, have air conditioning, excellent bathrooms and comfortable beds. My favourite room was Sofia as it is most spacious and it is worth paying a little bit extra for it.
1. Location. When you know your way there it is easy to find, however for getting there I would recommend to arrange a taxi pick up with the riad. We got a boy to show us the way and got into an interesting conversation on the value of his service after he has taken us to the wrong hotel and made us walk following him.
Otherwise location is great - south wall of the Medina, easy to get to the airport and has lovely local feel to it with kiosks and restaurants nearby. The center is around 20 min walk.
Please note the riad has an annex about which the other travellers were talking. It looks newer and more spacious. My preference is the riad itself as I love a bit more character.
We had an excellent time in Marrakesh and 90% of it is down to Joelle, her team and the lovely riad.