“A delightful Riad, well located with great rooms and kind staff” 5 of 5 stars

Riad les Orangers d'Alilia Marrakech
216, rue Tadla, Derb Chtouka Marrakech-medina, Marrakech 40040, Morocco   |
Ranked #72 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“A delightful Riad, well located with great rooms and kind staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed in the Riad for a week in April. It is a truly beautiful place, and offers wonderful sanctuary from the hussle and bussle of Marrakesh (which is a fantastic place, albeit completely mad in many ways).

Joelle was around for the first couple of days, and very helpful she was too. After that we were left in the admirable care of her charming staff. My fiance fell ill whilst we were staying, and they did everything they could to help, including being very accomodating when we needed to stay for a few more nights.

The food in Marrakesh is nothing special. We would recommend eating at the Riad on at least one night of your stay, as they put on one of the best meals we had on our whole trip.

The one criticism I would have is that it is not made clear that the transfer from the airport is not included in the price (as it is elsewhere). That very small point aside, this place is truly magical and we couldn't recommend it more highly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Taurinya, Languedoc-Roussillon, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We came here based on the mainly positive TA reviews, and we would concur with all that others have said about the ambience, tasteful decor and tranquillity. The Riad is reasonably well located: a 20 min walk to the main square, but through a fascinating area where local life hums and buzzes all around you. Most reviewers have written glowingly of the welcome provided by the owner, along with help and advice from her in terms of orientation, finding restaurants and trip planning. However, during our stay, she was absent, and we had no such help, which was very disorientating for first time visitors to Marrakech. Although the two young girls left in charge were absolutely charming and very hard working, it felt to us that the level of responsibility they had been given was onerous and it showed. They were on duty from early morning until late at night, and appeared to have little (if any) time off; as such they were often understandably weary. Riads tend to be situated in narrow lanes of complex alleys, as is this one. A welcome cup of tea was provided on arrival, but no information about the location, maps, tourist information or anything to help us orientate ourselves was available. One of the girls spoke French, which was fine for us, but so far as I'm aware, they did not speak English. Compared to European hotels, the price for the level of service provided in this Riad seems high, especially when the cost of living in Marrakech is factored in.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
joetlo, Propriétaire at Riad les Orangers d'Alilia Marrakech, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Effectively the riad LES ORANGERS D ALILIA has d excellent REVIEWS for 2 years.
I am in Marrakesh most part of time but exceptionnellent I go away.
My staff is completely capable to counter in the obligations of the hotel.
The riad is situated in 5 minutes to walk to Saadiens tombs, 10 minutes in feet of the historic center of Mellah, 15 minutes of the famous square Jemaa Elfna...
It is really easy to find all the directions to discover this wonderful city.
Hemel Hempstead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Riad orangers d' Alilia is beautiful, it is everything I imagined a Riad to be and much more. The owner is attentive and welcoming, she has an excellent knowledge of the souks and Hamams.
I would recommend having a traditional tagine at the Riad it was delicious, just pre book and a table will be set looking absolutely splendid.
Our room was outstanding with all the Morroccan charm you could ever want. It was cosy, clean and had some lovely complimentary soaps etc.
We loved the courtyard which was lit with candles and lamps at night, it really set the mood.
The roof top terrace was lovely too, I think you can have lunch or dinner there in the summer months which would be great.
Les Bains Hamam was recommended by the Riad owner, she even booked it for us.
I had never had a Hamam or massage before and would thoroughly recommend that you do this.
Also recommended to us was the Kosy bar, well worth a visit, roof top terrace and lovely food.

• Stayed February 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked 4 nights here but didn't actually stay here due to it being full when we arrived. We were instead put in what I think was Riad Awinati just around the corner. This riad was lovely in a relatively quiet area of the city with excellent breakfast and helpful staff. The room was fine overall, though there were slight problems with the smell in the bathroom and some water flooding into the room when the air conditioning was used. We did partly book the Orangers due to its very high rating on tripadvisor so it is a shame we didn't stay there, and of course hard to say whether it was any better or worse. However, we were happy overall with the price we paid and the service we received.

Room Tip: If it is important to you, double check you are going to be in the correct Riad.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have just come back from 3 nights here and it was wonderful. I think we got the best room in the Riad (India) since it has its own little terrace. Thank you Joelle!

It is very tasteful and peaceful. Nice furnishings, a big orange tree in the middle and the most amazing breakfasts.And then there's the very nice roof terrace if you fancy some heat and sun

The owner Joelle welcomed us when we arrived and made all sorts of recommendations for eating and sightseeing. We followed her advice and took a Hammam and massage at "Les Bains de Marrakech". Outstanding!

Its about a ten minute walk to the main square and we loved walking down the rue Kasbah each morning and evening

You can ask Joelle to arrange a taxi for when you arrive at the airport . Recommended for first timers!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in June 2012 on our travels around Morocco for our honeymoon. Although we did not see Joelle, her son was a wonderful host, and was even good enough to recommend places to visit both in Marrakech and in Casablanca too. The rooms were so comfortable, the roof terrace a lovely place to breakfast and relax and the food so delicious.
Hope to come and stay again some time!

• Stayed June 2012
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

If you book this Riad in Marrakesh, you will not be disappointed. Elegant, beautiful, authentic, calm & stylish are just a few words that come to mind. I would describe Joelle, the owner with the exact same words.
My boyfriend and I stayed here last October for 3 nights. When you get to Marrakech and drive through the extremely narrow, busy, run down streets you will worry about where you are actually staying because things are not as nice outside of the Riad. (it's great for a culture shock though!) But you are in for a treat when you reach this Riad.
We stayed in the India room which is what I would highly recommend to anyone as you have your own private terrace just outside - it's lovely to sit out on in morning or when your back from a a night out. You an bring some wine up there as well. The wine Joelle has is fantastic. There is a Moroccan Gris, peach/pink in colour that she stocks that is to die for - I forget the name.
The food in this riad is divine - you will not go hungry. breakfast lasted us til dinner time. Breakfast was a lovely experience as well - eating it downstairs, surrounded by lovely trees with tiny birds singing away, it was so romantic and tranquil. We ate breakfast on the roof terrace on our last day - this was beautiful. There are sun loungers and sofas and curtains if you want privacy and the sun beams down on you.

This Riad is about a 10 minute walk to the Jemaa El Fana Square where you will see many may stalls during the day selling all sorts of authentic Moroccan crafts and food and at night there are always acrobats, singers, entertainment. As we went in October - it was a little quieter but still busy. I imagine going any earlier could get over crowded and you need to watch yourself. There are a lot of pick pockets. Unfortunately on my first night - all my cash was stolen. I went to ATM on way home and thought it was secure in my wallet in my bag which was in front of me, but when i got back, it was gone. They will come up and try and distract you with selling things or asking you about where you're from - ignore them all!!!
However, i tried not to let this ruin my stay and Joelle made it easier by being so kind, she really helped us out by writing a letter to my insurance company as well, something I don't think every hotel owner would do, she went out of her way. Joelle was extremely helpful and on our first day, sat us down and told us all about the area and where to go. One thing she did recommend which we did was go to 'Les Bains du Marrakech' a spa just 2 minutes around the corner from this riad. This was an amazing experience. I have never been in a spa like this - I would give it 5 stars if not more. Joelle recommended that we booked the 'couples cabin' in advance so myself and my boyfriend got to enjoy this experience together. We had a body scrub/wash and a 1 hour massage for 550 dirham which is about 50 euros each. A lot cheaper than here, almost half the price. They treat you like kings and queens in this place and you feel so refreshed afterwards. Not an experienced to be missed!
Another trip she recommended was to the Atlas mountains - just bare in mind to wear very comfortable shoes and clothes - you will be walking up a mountain, on rocks & through streams for a few hours - a fantastic place though. You can have your lunch in the mountains at various cafes built in them which was lovely.
Food is lovely in morocco. The nicest restaurant and most authentic was called Le comptoir... something, It was recommended again by Joelle so ask her. A friend of hers runs it. Its very private and only opens on the time of your reservation. It's beautiful. Al Fassia was another gorgeous one. Men need to make sure they are wearing slacks as far as i remember.

We can't rate this Riad highly enough. It is one of the most peaceful and beautiful places I have every stayed in in any country. If you are booking a trip to Marrakech I suggest you just stay for 2-3 days. There is not a huge amount to do apart from relax or go to the mountains. Worth a trip though and it's only a 3 hour 45 minute flight from London.

Hope this was helpful! :)

Room Tip: Best tip - stay in this Riad! Book the India room if you can. If you are booking a trip to Marra...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad les Orangers d'Alilia Marrakech? Share your experiences!