“Perfect Escape from the crazyness” 4 of 5 stars

Riad les Orangers d'Alilia Marrakech
216, rue Tadla, Derb Chtouka Marrakech-medina, Marrakech 40040, Morocco   |
Ranked #50 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Retford, United Kingdom
“Perfect Escape from the crazyness”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We found this Riad to be the perfect escape from the crazyness that is not to far outside. Its located in a good place of Marrakesh, with easy walking distance to most places, although if you want to go exploring the staff at this riad are very helpful. They arrange taxis for you and give you the low down on the do's and donts, they also recommended some lovely eating places. When we stayed the owners son looked after us and he did a great job. Nothing was to much trouble at all. The breakfast was different i must say, it was good dont get me wrong, fresh fruit, pancakes, cakes etc and plenty of it as well.The rooms were kept clean, in fact the whole place was always clean. The room we had didnt have a toilet door which was the only moan i can say about the place, so it lacked privacy between me and the mrs, apart from that it was exellent. Air con in the rooms, thank god. A lovely roof terrace where you can relax and chill out from the mayhem outside where the staff will keep bringing you drinks. All in all I would return to this Riad for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for the room at the top of the stairs 1st on the left, i think it was called sophia. Its got a h...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

339 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Just returned from a manic weekend break in Marrakech and it was lovely to go back to the tranquil Riad every afternoon to relax on the wonderful terrace. Could not fault anything about this property, rooms good, comfortable beds and pillows. Perhaps the only thing missing was a small pool that a few of the Riads do have. We ate in on our first night and had a lovely meal also must agree with other reviews that the breakfasts were great (very different from the usual continental). Unfortunately did not catch up with Joelle as she was on holiday but we were very well looked after by all the staff.Would highly recommend this Riad.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Worcester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Just returned after a weeks holiday in Marrakech. Our room was gorgeous - peaceful and calm - with a fab walk in shower room and traditional styled furnishings. The breakfasts were to die for - pancakes, yoghurt, fresh fruit, cakes and jams - it just kept coming - more and more of it and slightly different every morning ! Joelle and Lauren were the perfect hosts. Joelle provided us with lots of very useful advice and information about Marrakech, even organising an invaluable private local tour guide and arranging a private trip to the Atlas Mountains which was one of the highlights of our holiday. Lauren provided the entertainment !! - his taxi driver jokes were highly amusing. The whole of the Riad was fantastic, cosy lounge area, beautiful roof sun terrace and a much needed plunge pool in the courtyard. This was the perfect place to retire to after a manic but exciting day in the Soukes and square. We would highly recommend the Riad to anyone wanting to visit Marrakech - a once in a lifetime experience that everyone should do.
Our very special thanks to Joelle and Lauren for a fantastic stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in Salma - a ground floor room. Rooms upstairs may have been a little quieter but they we...
Northants
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We were treated to a trip to Marrakesh by our children and, despite being well travelled, neither of us had been to Marrakesh before. The Riad les Orangers is a lovely oasis of calm away from the madness that is Marrakesh but, at the same time, is near enough to all the places you need to see although Marrakesh is no good to visit if you don't like walking ! We arrived during an unusually hot week (42 degrees mostly) and were welcomed by Joelle and her staff with a refreshing pot of mint tea which we had on the rooftop terrace, a lovely experience and most welcome. Joelle was more than helpful in every way and made us feel most welcome. Breakfast was Morrocan style with freshly home made cakes and pancakes etc as well as fresh fruit and yoghurt. Don't go expecting a full English though. If you don't like experiencing other cultures, go to Spain instead lol. We did the usual trip to the Atlas mountians arranged by Joelle who has contacts with a local taxi driver for day-trips and iarport runs etc as well as being able to give us good advice on places to eat and places to visit.
Many thanks to Joelle and her staff for a lovely holiday, we hope to go back some time in the future.

West Linn, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Riad les Orangers d'Alilia was an absolutely wonderful place to stay during our three nights in Marrakech. From the moment we were greeted at the door by owner, Joelle Sourbe, we knew we had made a superb decision in choosing this riad. Joelle was extremely helpful in every way a weary traveler could hope for. She and her staff prepared a wonderful, romantic candlelight dinner for us for our first night. The breakfasts that were included were outstanding. Our room had a wonderful veranda area with comfortable couches, with draperies one could close to get even more privacy, however, since our room was situated on a corner of the riad, we already had wonderful privacy. Most riad rooms are somewhat small by American standards but this room was very neat and clean, with daily service by the staff, and it met all of our needs, so size was not really a problem at all. Joelle has a nice rooftop terrace with lounge chairs, and she also has a pool on the ground floor.

I highly recommend this riad to anyone who travels to Marrakech. It is in the medina, and located such that it is easy to walk/take a taxi to most anywhere in the medina in a very short period of time. The prices are very reasonable and Joelle does a wonderful job of making you feel very much at home in her riad.

Room Tip: We had the India room and it was excellent!
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed in Riad Orangers D'Alilia. Joelle is a very warm and welcoming host, offering useful tips, information and help with making bookings. The breakfast was consistently good and lived up to expectations from our previous visit - everything is homemade, fresh and beautifully presented. We stayed as a group of seven people having booked four of the rooms and all had a lovely time. The Riad is ideally located for walking around old Marrakech and we would rather be here than in a more 'soulless' westernised hotel outside the city walls. It is informal and relaxed and we enjoyed cooling our feet and bodies in the plunge pool in the inner courtyard after exploring in temperatures of 40C, and also relaxing on the roof terrace in between bouts of exploring and bargaining in the Souks. If you want 5 star luxury and a swimming pool this will not be for you; if you want something relaxed, simple, excellent value for money, in the heart of things yet peaceful and charming then this will tick all of those boxes. We will be returning again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012 via mobile

We were so very excited to stay here having read the reviews. The riad was very tranquil and beautiful, well maintained, clean with friendly staff but I am sorry to say that our stay here was disapointing and didn't reflect the reviews we had read.

There is no dening that this riad is a tranquil escape from the hectic streets of Marrakech, possibly too quite for us. We found the rooms were small, (we had a superior room) they lacked privacy and we felt like we had to whisper all the time as we felt other guests could hear us etc. We felt we were living in someone else's house at times which was odd. We wanted to get into the real culture of Marrakech which is why we chose to stay in a riad, we knew the set up and what to expect so I guess the reaility just wasn't for us. We didn't expect the same conveniences as a hotel such as room service or a bar but for us we found even asking for a drink was awkward and we certainly didnt experience the amazing hospitality we had read about.

The riad was based in the kasbah in the medina in the old town for us the riad was miles from anywhere we wanted to eat or spend any time, even the main square is a 20 minute walk.

I was SO looking forward to the breakfasts after raving reviews but for me, (not a particularly fussy eater) they were not good, in fact I couldn't eat them, there was plenty of food and a variety but I couldn't eat any of it, one day my milk was off and the eggs were not cooked. I guess we were just unlucky. We did try to tell the waitesses but as we didn't speak french it was very difficult to get across what we wanted to say. We also ate in the evening in the riad and I feel so very bad in saying this but the food was awful I have never eaten such chewy overcooked chicken in all my life.

All in all the stay was satisfactory but in our opinion massively over hyped by the reviews on here. We didn't feel this stacked up to be #17 of the best places to stay in Marrakech.

• Stayed May 2012
joetlo, Propriétaire at Riad les Orangers d'Alilia Marrakech, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
I thank you a lot to have chosen the Riad Les Orangers d'Alilia, an hostel where I live in permanence to welcome my customers. Indeed, it's a home typically moroccan with 6 bed-rooms around a patio. In consequence we have to respect the wellness of everyone in keeping a discretion. You have asked a night in my absence a drink to my moroccan's cleaning woman who doesn't speak english and she didn't understand. I have adviced different moroccan's restaurants that I know, I remember the Kosybar at 10 minutes in walk in the Mellah, Alfassia which is in the new city and another address... Indeed, the Riad is located in the Medina, the district of the Kasbah, an authentic district secured and very popular very close of the Palais Royal. It's possible that you didn't feel an interest for this beautiful place.
About the breakfast, I am really surprised by your disagreeable commentaries and I won't range over on the details. I am persuaded in reading the very good commentaries that I receive about my breakfast that I prepare early the morning. That is the same thing about my dinner that I self. I think simply you don't like moroccan cook and I am really sorry.
It's really surprising that you finish to conclur that your stay was satisfying if I consider the different bad commentaries that you have written.
I finish by tell to you it's really pity to you that you didn't known appreciate your stay.
It's necessary to relax you and to go at the discovery of different culture and customs to be able to like Marrakech. What pity that we wasn't be able to speak together during our meet.

Been to Riad les Orangers d'Alilia Marrakech? Share your experiences!