“Call this a hotel?” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Zayane Atlas

You added Riad Zayane Atlas to your Saves list
Riad Zayane Atlas
2.5 of 5 Guest house   |   31 Derb Nakous | Riad Zitoun Jdid, Marrakech 4000, Morocco   |
Ranked #361 of 1,134 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Milton Keynes
“Call this a hotel?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I purchased a voucher through KGB deals for the Riad Zayane Atlas and travelled with my daughter. On our arrival I was quite surprised as we were slap bang in the middle of all the hustle and bustle. However our biggest shock was when we arrived at the Riad. I had no idea what a Riad was so had no idea what to expect and assumed that we were going to a hotel. I had taken the time to read the reviews on Trip Advisor before booking so was quite surprised when I actually arrived. The hotel was small and very cold, particularly at this time of year. The room although a reasonable size looked tired, dark and not well cared for. There were two beds in the room a double and single which it clearly didn’t need. For some reason there was also a large table that dominated the room and appeared to have no real reason for being there. Although there were two beds which suggested they expected more than one guest there was only one seat. The bedding look old and reminded me of curtains my mum had in the seventies. When we moved the bed runner it was stained and looked as it had been through the mills. The bathroom was more of a wet room. The shower was too high and both I and my daughter are quite short so were unable to reach to adjust it. There was no shower curtain so the water went everywhere. The extractor fan was hanging off the wall and the toilet paper was so cheap that we were going through three rolls per day.

I was looking forward to being on the roof terrace but even that was a disappointment. It was so cold and as it was open there was no way of heating it. Instead blankets were provided but I noted that they were never moved so they were not washed in between use. There was a Kasbah on the roof terrace but on the day we arrived it was used to hang washing which looked unprofessional. During the evening it was used to serve meals but it was extremely cold although heated by a patio heater.

Breakfast consisted of bread (lovely) and pancakes or crepes, so was very basic. However, very good tea which I often do not find when I go abroad. The weirdest thing was that breakfast and the one dinner we had at the Riad was spent in our coats which was not nice.
There was a small lounge area, but again very, very cold. No heating but blankets provided which I didn’t think was hygienic. Because the Riad had no roof, when it rained the whole of the lower floor was flooded and I was thankful that I was on the first floor. Also the lounge was in this area so it would have meant wading through water to sit in a cold lounge.

The few staff that were there was lovely but if you cannot speak French or Arabic then communication is impossible. Kamal though, was a gem. The trip organised through him was excellent and he was extremely attentive, helpful and knowledgeable,

On the website the Riad boasted a library and a pool, neither of which existed. There was a small bookcase with a few books which looked like they were there for show rather than to read. The pool was a small area that not even a baby could have swum in and this also flooded over when it rained heavily.

Expecting to go to a hotel you would expect to be able to enter without having to knock and wait for someone to let you in. This made it difficult if you wanted to go out in the night as we would have felt guilty knocking in the early hours of the morning for someone to let us in.

All in all it was not a very pleasant stay and after arriving both my daughter and I were actually planning to find another hotel. There was also two other girls who arrived the same day as us and were also disappointed by the hotel. Fortunately, it was only three nights so we sat it out but was relieved when it came to the last day.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
babette49, Propriétaire at Riad Zayane Atlas, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Madam,
I think you are very harsh in your judgment. Remember that it is impossible to heat an outdoor terrace ! The kasbah is a beautiful Berber tent and there was no flooding on the ground floor , there are outlets in every corner of the patio, only when it rains ( which is rare in Marrakech) water falls the patio. Riads design is like that, it is the oldest houses in the medina. It rains very little in Marrakech and unfortunately you fell on a rainy period .
You notice severely location, cleanliness. We are very well placed , it is one of the best area of ​​Marrakech and all guests enjoy being only 300 meters from the Grand Place . Room cleaning is done and common every day and I will not allow you to say that it's dirty ! Concerning the quality / price ratio also exaggerate because you have not paid your stay low
Regarding the arrival at the riad , there is someone to open the door 24/24 and we want to ensure that it is always like this, we need to know who enters the riad for the safety of all world
Thank you for your compliments on Kamel which is , as you say , adorable and very competent

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Highly recommended. Fantastic location only minutes walk from Jemaa el Fna and the Souks.
Good room, simple but clean. Very welcoming staff, mint tea and tips and suggestions about the city and what it has to offer.
Breakfast is served on the beautiful 'terrasse', filling and delicious.
Kamal was the perfect host and guide, we enjoyed the full day trip to the Ourika Valley and Berber village.
Top marks.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Just returned from Riad Zayane Atlas hotel 20th- 25th feb and I'm looking forward to returning back in next winter (acceptable temperatures).
Helpful staff (thank you Kamel nad other...), clean rooms, big terrace, great breakfast (special thank for figs jam...) and for all hospitality will make your trip even more relaxing and enjoyable...
Nice price for value...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Split, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I stayed there for 5 nights and it was a great starting point for exploring the city. It really is in the heart of the city, and not at all hard to find.
Clean rooms, big terrace, great breakfast and amazingly helpful staff will make your trip even more enjoyable.
I recommend it :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Garstang, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of January following a weeks stay at Eden Andalou All Inclusive just outside Marrakech. We were travelling to Morocco for the 1st time with children aged 9 and 8 and wanted to get the balance of a relaxing week, where the kids could swim in the pool, and going home having seen some of the real Marrakech, by being in the heart of the Medina. We got the shuttlebus into town & found the Riad about 10 mins walk from the square which was great. As others have said Karmel greets you with Mint Tea & a chat about the area - having encountered the alleys on the way to the Riad full of mopeds a useful piece of advice he gave us was to make sure you walk on the right!!Through Karmel we took a day trip to the Atlas Mountains - he came as our guide and hired us a minibus for the day so we could do things at our own leisure - we went to a Pottery, Berber House, Aromatic Gardens and then took us for a walk up the Waterfalls in the Ourika Valley followed by Lunch by the river - what a fab day out - the kids loved it, especially Jack who saw the Monkies with Karmel on the way back down. The Riad was great, breakfasts & dinner both lovely, the purple room was very nice and we loved sitting on the roof terrace in the sunshine. All the staff were friendly - we loved Marrakech and would definately return to this Riad - on our last day a Taxi was organised for us to take us back to the airport. Many Thanks to you all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Watford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Just got back from a long weekend in Marrakech, We booked this hotel through a KGB deal which was fantastic value for money and then just booked our own Easyjet flights. We were met at the airport by a taxi which was arranged by the riad and only took about 15 minutes to get there. We were greeted by Karmel and shown to our rooms to unpack, then met up with him again for mint tea and a brief chat about things we needed to know. Our rooms were lovely, clean with plenty of hot water and a powerful shower. Unfortunately the weather over the weekend wasn't great so we couldn't do a trip to the Atlas Mountains which he would have arranged but he told us other places to visit and also gave us a map which was invaluable! As it was raining, our meal that night and breakfast every morning was in a marquee on the terrace, it was lovely and also had patio heaters to keep us warm. Breakfast consisted of freshly squeezed orange juice, coffee, croissants, pancakes, rolls, jams, all really nice and a good way to start the day, The riad is a 10 minute walk to the square and we didn't get lost once! The first day we spent walking around the souk and dodging the rain! The second day we got the bus tour which took us to the new part of town, we were really pleased we didn't stay there as it was just like any other city and a bit soulless. If you want to experience the real Marrakech then you have to stay in the Medina and you won't go wrong at the Riad Zayane Atlas,

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have to say I will be going back next year to see karmel and the gang they where soo nice nothing at all was too much, the food I have was wonderful, I was there with my friend two weeks ago, as she said karmel took us to our room and then made mint tea which I have every where I went lol, I asked about my shopping list and he told us where the best places where and what to expect too pay. got us a map to start us of. and yes as my friend said the sky bar was really nice but a climb up, Karmel sorted our trip to atlas mountain that was great I just relaxed and went with the Moroccan follow and time lol. I want to say a special thank you to you all at the riad for your help when I felt unwell breathing problem sorting it now will be back to see you all soon. home from home, Great place and people if you want a piss up then not for you. loved the little streets, food stalls and of course the shopping haggling is great. have a good Christmas and new year to all at Zayane Atlas see you in 2014

Room Tip: all rooms are lovely