“Very nice hostel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Delft
“Very nice hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I don't know about this place; I've left it with mixed feelings.

I've spent many nights in bad hostels while travelling in Thailand and Cambodia, and compared to those, this is a very nice hostel. I spent 4 nights in Marrakech Rouge with my boyfriend; the first 2 nights we stayed in the room on the ground floor with a private bathroom. This room is quite noisy and very dark, and pretty damp. The bed is very nice though. Also, the room doesn't have a door but only a curtain to its bathroom. The shower here is decent but the amount of hot water is limited to 1/2 shower (not that nice if your are with two).

The second 2 nights we stayed in a room on the 2nd floor with a communal shower and toilet. This room had a nice bed as well and was much quiter. The communal shower on the 1st floor flooded if you took a shower, but was reasonably clean. The shower on the 2nd floor was clean and nice, but you have to cover the door with a towel as otherwise people can see you. Both rooms had reasonably clean sheets and enough blankets, which was nice. You can also get free towels, which were also reasonably clean.

The breakfast is ok, but don't expect to be done in 10 minutes as it takes quite some time before you actually have your breakfast. The communal area is nice, you can chill out here and have free tea.

The reason I'm having mixed feelings is that the owner was really pressuring me to write a review on Hostelworld while I was there, and when I didn't do that right away he was kind of angry and kept asking me every time I saw him. He also said that I had to give him full points on everything. When I wrote an honest review (I gave the hostel a 8.7), he came to us saying that he saw the review and was angry/dissappointed that we did not give the hostel a 10, as they were nice to us and we should be nice to them. I think this is very strange behaviour, and I don't understand why he acted like this. He had already many awards of Tripadvisor, Hostelworld and Hostelbookers on the wall...

In conclusion: nice hostel, good value, but I wish I'd have left Marrakech with a more positive feeling about it.

Room Tip: Don't take a room with a private bathroom; the communal bathrooms have better showers and are mu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
Tarifa, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We arrived at the hostel and even tho it was quite full we got some spots to sleep on the terrace in a tent. Overall it was a nice place. Things became not o nice the next morning during breakfast. There was already a group of 5 people eating breakfast but they offered to share there food till we waited for ours. So we did. But somehow the guys running the hostel forgot about us and so we reminded them a view times that we would like to get some breakfast as well.
At one point they said they gave us enough, we already had our portion. There was no attempt to solve that in a friendly manner.
In the end I felt like we got kicked out of the hostel. I think this could have been easily solved in a more friendly way but I didn't see any motivation for that with the staff.

Room Tip: The tents on top are a nice experience. Maybe a little fresh during the "winter" and they...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is a great place to come to be among the people of Marrakesh! Situated in the back streets it felt like you were amongst the locals. The hostel was colourful and welcoming and I found the short video on how to get there very useful as it was tucked away (not a bad thing). The guys running the hotel could not have been nicer, available at all times and very helpful. The only thing I would change is to come in the spring/summer/autumn instead of winter because it did get cold at night. I would definatley stay again :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for three nights. We were very pleased with everything about our stay! Everyone was so friendly and always willing to help you find anything or give recommendations. They always have tea available and the breakfast in the morning is great also. It is close to everything we wanted to see, and despite the winding streets, very easy to find when using the directions provided. The hostel itself was clean and very well decorated. They have plenty of great areas to hang out in and there are always people sitting around to talk to. I would definitely recommend staying here, as it is a wonderful spot at a great price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I are college students and needed an affordable and safe place to sleep during our stay in Marrakech. Everyone who works at this hostel are so sweet, so friendly, helpful, and honest. They value safety and always want their customers to feel comfortable. A lot of foreigners stay here and the hostel has amazing food and an awesome terrace!! I would recommend this place to anyone!!! :)

• Stayed January 2013
Sintra, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for 8 nights, and it became my home in Marrakech!!! Everyone was extremelly helpfull, friendly and very welcoming, beyond words!!! When I arrived, Malik gave me a map, explined where the hostel was in the map and showed where everything was located.It s only a few steps walking to the mais square.I was adviced also how much should I pay a taxi from a place to another, how to bargain, or any other questions I had, they were more than happy to answer...In one of the days I had lost the keys of my suitcase locker, and Jamal went out of his way to do the possible and impossible to open my suitcase locker, which was not easy. If one is tired of walking around the city, one can always go to the rooftop terrace and get some sun, see the atlas mountains and just relax. The whole hostel is very colorful and has a cool, chilled vibe to it.
At the end of the day, everyone hangs out in the lounge,while drinking tea,smoking shisha and listening to each others stories.Breakfast is delicious!!!
They can also organize tours and taxi to and from the airport.
This was by far the best experience I ve had in a Hostel.
I m thankful for everyone of Marrakech rouge for this amazing experience and know that this will always be like my home in Marrakech!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I am a 45 year old male traveling solo, but as soon as I was met by Ali and the other guests I felt welcome, and being older than most, didnt matter one bit. (for a couple of nights I wasnt the eldest)
The location is great as you get to see the real deal. The 5 minute walk to the square is where the locals live, work and go to school. The hostel has plenty of areas to relax quietly, or to sit and chat with others and if you want to sunbathe, the roof top is great for that.

Room Tip: Like all hostels, ear plugs are always a help. Although this hostel was pretty quiet after 11pm.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge? Share your experiences!