“Interesting with room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Bab Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Angle bd Mansour Eddahbi, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #282 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
Stockholm, Sweden
“Interesting with room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Now, first of all - let me say that we stayed in suites. I only saw those and can't really speak for the standard rooms. But in terms of room quality for a boutique hotel in the type of location BAB is, it's actually really good. Nicely decorated. Quirky in a way that appeals to me and with a staff that was friendly, helpful and seemed to enjoy their jobs. Not something that is all that common.

Now, is this on par with a five star in say Hong Kong, Tokyo or any other major metropolitan area? No, it's not. There are details and finishing touches that are missing. The breakfast for example was, well, average at best. But for where it is it's certainly a more than valid choice for someone who enjoys clean and bright interior decoration, some very interesting choices in the bath areas (I happened to visit room 204 briefly and found the couples shower to be very interesting. 502 and 501 were great. Spacious, nice social areas, great bathrooms. Wish they could have spent a bit more money on the closets that looked a bit cheapish but this is just nitpicking really.

And BAB Hotel management should consider having a discussion with whoever is in charge of food and beverage to get something done about the breakfast. It could be a much better experience.

I would certainly stay there again and recommend it to people with a bit more of an eclectic taste.

Room Tip: Go for a suite. I can certainly recommend 502 and 501. Balconies everywhere. Just sending the kids t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We were not disappointed with this relatively average hotel. The room was nice and bar staff friendly. The pool is very small and not really a place you could chill out during the day but this seems fairly normal for smaller places in Marrakech. The hotel is quirky with lots of art everywhere. The restaurant was closed for most of our trip as the hotel was very quiet so can't really comment on the food. The bar plays loud music until around midnight which we could clearly hear from our room. This didn't bother us as we were out most nights past this point and the one night we weren't we were so tired we slept anyway. If you like to be in bed early though this is likely to be an issue for you! Location wise is is a 20min taxi from the airport and a 30min walk to the main square so pretty good. The light in our toilet broke on the first night and was not fixed before we left, more of an annoyance than anything and maybe it would have been fixed if we had complained more.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Try not to organise anything through this hotel, although its a lovely hotel the running of it is slightly slack... Due to a lack of communication because of language barriers they really struggle to fulfil any promises.
We booked a car to pick us up from hotel which didn't show up, I had asked them to arrange something for my partners birthday nothing was arranged... Then we were offered a free lunch because of this, which another member of staff said we could have at any time as the restaurant is open all day.... When we arrived at 4pm we were greeted by the manager with 'so you are late' not a great welcome... Obviously we stated what we was informed the day before about it being open all day and her answer was my restaurant staff are waiting just for you....
Like I said its a lovely hotel, cleaning staff are fantastic, doormen and bell boys are fantastic but customer service from staff on reception is poor. Training is required so they can give correct information to guests.

• Stayed March 2014
Denpasar, Indonesia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Three years ago I stayed w a friend at BAB Hotel and enjoyed it very much, so decided to go back w my family for 6 nights, BIG mistake!
The hotel was under renovation and they were banging at 2 AM in the morning, also they were painting the reception and left it covered for three days and no one working at it. Don't mind that there were hardly any guests at all, let me explain why.
Breakfast, was very poor, Nescafe and when the GM came he got a cappuccino from the coffee machine feasible for us to see. The breakfast room looked very dirty and on top of it the painters were having also breakfast ext to us w their dirty pants and coughing at the coffee cups, so we definitely lost our appetite and went to have breakfast everyday after that at Kechmara. When I mentioned this to the absolutely incompetent Sales Manager who was on duty she told me that they were paying guests!!!!! so she could not say anything…I asked her then if it is ok for me to have breakfast in my PJ's the next morning since I was a paying guest as well. She got excited and starting to shout at me…reverse world it seems.

Terrible terribly hotel w incompetent staf

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My experience at the BAB hotel was mediocre. We had paid for a Standard room, but were given a Deluxe room which made me gloat when I checked in . However , when I paid closer look at the details, I was upset with the place. My room , 107 had a window in the bath that wouldn't close, a mini-bar that served more as a heater than a fridge, a "smart" TV that seemed to be task really to operate, peeling baseboards - not a pretty sight indeed. The hotel is in Gueliz, a modern neighborhood in Marrakech. There are still 2 floors under renovation , so watch out for the noise that surely is not advertised. I was at the hotel in winter and so didn't venture into the pool nor the spa. The deal with the place is , looks lovely and luxurious from the outside, with a very good service staff but if you are someone one who looks for each detail , may be not the best place to be at !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Rio De Janeiro-brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Bab is a beautiful boutique hotel, very modern, chique, the rooms are great, the bar, restaurant and breakfast excellent. It is located outside the Medina, at Gueliz, but very near from everything, shops, Restaurants, and 15 minutes from the medina. It is not expensive, on the contrary, the price is very good. It worths a visit.

• Stayed December 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I don't think it should be 5 star,The breakfast option was limited,The sky BAB didnt have such a nice view.Very Helpful receptionist though,Can't remember her name,(she wore glasses and could speak good english).Nice decor too

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bab Hotel? Share your experiences!