“Nice interior with horrible service and NO SkyBab” 2 of 5 stars

Bab Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Angle bd Mansour Eddahbi, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #287 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Calgary, Canada
“Nice interior with horrible service and NO SkyBab”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

This hotel has the potential to be so much better! The rooms are actually quite nice -very clean and modern with cool art. However, the fancy flat screen "smart" TVs are pretty much nonfunctional, the hallways stink like thick smoke, the sky bar is not open, breakfast is a joke and the service was hands down the worst we had in Morocco.

The hotel does not email you a confirmation if you book through Expedia and they do not return emails. The woman at the front desk was completely incapable, rude and it took her multiple requests to give us back change, to the point where I was beginning to question her moral intentions.

Breakfast was stale, the eggs were runny, the staff were quite unpleasant and we were charged 15 euros per person for a awful start to the morning.

The hotel has a lot of potential but I would not recommend it to friends. There are far better places in new town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Frome, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

The pictures are good and shows a modern and chic hotel ..... However when we booked into the hotel for four days what we encountered was a hotel which was trying to be something it was not and that is a funky up market boutique hotel. I'm sure that when it first opened a few years back it looked great however it is becoming shabby and worn around the edges which is noticeable in the clear light of day. The entrance looks unkept the doorman seems a waste of money just opening the door Why don't the management clean up the entrance paint the chipped and broken woodwork and generally tidy up. We felt that we were the only people there the upstairs lounge (roof bar ) when we checked it out looked dirty, the seats were filthy and the general feel was that it was run down . That put us off using it also put us off wanting to use the other facilities restaurant ect... For me if the basics looked unclean I would not be inclined
to spend my money in the bar or restaurant. We checked out the pool and the area around it which had food laid out and appeared to have been left out for hours from breakfast that was not enticing,the prices for the bar and restaurant just completely out of line with what I saw in terms of the hotel being more in line with a down market two to three star hotel. The rooms were a nice size and the balcony was nice to sit out on .... But listen the white curtains looked grey the black paintwork was chipped the toilet was so dark and was stupid having the toilet away from the main bathroom I had to walk across the room to wash my hands in the bathroom ... Not hygienic at all . The cleaners used filthy dirty cloths to clean and boy when you came back after a day out you could smell that as the room had been closed up with no ventilation. The bathroom was generous could look amazing if the management just got themselves together and checked out all the paintwork grouting tidied the finish and changed the curtains and generally update and properly clean the hotel . The little bit around the reception was about the only area that looked clean ... That's because the management sat there. Get yourself out there working, checking what your staff are doing and start taking an interest in maintaining. An establishment that is what you advertise a boutique hotel. The first impressions when I walked in was not good especially the dirty entrance and affected my whole stay and kept my wallet tightly shut!!! A positive note was that there were a couple of eating places close by Kechmara cafe nice roof bar and mama Mia reasonable priced Italian and also Le poste which had a decent money although a bit more expensive. We asked the front desk staff for directions on numerous occasions they could barely be bothered it was normally a wave of the hand and a response of oh over to your left or the right hand street we gave up asking... Certainly not customer friendly.... I feel that this place unfortunately will soon be closed if someone does not get it together and get some serious senior management involvement to sort it out!!! I really felt that what was advertised was not reflected on my visit to the hotel and I would not go back!!!

Room Tip: Check it out before you book although our room was a good decent size .
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I had a wonderful stay. Boutique in everything. Room is modern, had a little balcony. Great roof bar where you can relax with a drink. Great time at the spa.
Wonderful service. Breakfast is good.
Thank you to a wonderful staff at the hotel which made my stay happy memorable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Baby Hotel is great value for money. It's modern and has a nice bar a restaurant. The location is great as its walking distance from the medina. Bathroom and room is clean and the service is great. There's Los a roof top bar where you can chill out on arrival.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Bab Hotel looked amazing from the pictures and reviews! My partner and I always try and stay in boutique hotels or similar whenever we travel.
We weren't disappointed with this hotel. It is very modern and the staff team who work there could not be more helpful. Our room which was deluxe was huge by current standards and suited us both very well. We loved the photography around the hotel, very chic!!
Our delightful was that no one in the hotel other than us chose to use the pool, which we both can testify was needed, due to the heat during our stay (not that we're complaining).
We thought it was a fantastic idea having a book that highlights all the decent restaurants in Marrakech, this was a great touch!!

The only downside to this hotel is that the fixture & fittings really need looking at. For instance the sockets above the bed totally came off the wall. The sink (there were 2 in the bathroom) one leaked. Although this was mended when we highlighted this, it leaked again but worse. Also the mirror for shaving also completely came off the wall.
I know these are minor to some people but if you go under the 'boutique hotel' umbrella, I at least would expect the fixtures and fittings to be of a good standard.
The bar and restaurant was empty most nights but I felt this was due to no promotion of the hotel space or perhaps it was due to it being Ramadan.

Overall this was a great hotel and if & when we return we would definitely consider staying here again.
Dasrren & Jermine

Room Tip: I would go for a deluxe room as we did We took loads of photos of the hotel but they're all on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Situated in the Gueliz area. Very beautiful modern rooms.
The staff are very kind and always ready to help us out. They organised for us the camel-walk and it was superb.
No noise!!
Unfortunately the skybar was closed but bar-restaurant on the ground floor were very good as well.
Definitely recomend it!!!
Next time we go to marrakech we'll stay there for sure!

• Stayed June 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was a bit surprised with this hotel as expected more after reviewing online. It is a small, quite hotel. I loved the room which was surprisingly very spacious. I also loved the staff which were absolutely great and happy to help with our many requests, maps, taxis etc during our two day stay. The hotel is very close to the center of town and a large shopping area in Marrakech, which was great, as I love to walk a lot. The breakfast was okay but the waitress was fantastic and again happy to help with our many requests etc. I would stay there again for a short visit.

Room Tip: I would go high up to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Bab Hotel? Share your experiences!