“Dreadful” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #281 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Brighton
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Arrived to be told by a sour-faced receptionist that we didn't have a reservation, despite me showing her the confirmation email. I was then told that they had new management and a different internet system. My problem? I don't think so. Resisted my instinct to leave and go to another hotel nearby, but unfortunately we stayed. But only for 2 nights of the 7 nights booked: within 1 hour of arriving we had to be moved to another room as the cupboard space in the supposedly deluxe room was tiny, and the impressively huge TV wouldn't switch off. Actually we didn't want it on, but a member of staff came in uninvited, fiddled with controls and then left with the volume blasting out. Eventually we got upgraded to a better room. The evening was OK, trendy bar with suitably cool looking clients but unimpressive bar staff. On day 2 we returned late from dinner to find our breakfast tray still out and the bed unmade, etc. At 10am the next day the tray was still outside our door where I had left it at 1am. Finally, the shower broke and we had first cold water and then no water. At this point we left, with assurances that "next time it will be better". Not for us, as there definitely we won't be going there again. My husband is Moroccan and we're frequent travellers to Marrakesh - this is bottom of my list. It looks good and the website is impressive, but the service, staffing, maintenance and attention to detail just isn't there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed at the hotel from the 5th of February - 10th of February 2012, standard room, breakfast included.

The interior and design of the hotel is very impressive. The rooms are spacious and clean. The bathrooms excellent. Staff was very helpful, kind and at your service all time. Breakfast average.

At check in we were offered a room on 1st floor, but requested to have a room on a higher floor (after reading some reviews). Eventually we ended up on the 2nd floor. Unfortunately we were unable to sleep all 5 nights, as the noise from the bar/club in the evening was very loud. It continued until 2 am every night and we were unable to sleep. Unacceptable

On their website the hotel claims to have fitness facilities. When we asked at the reception, we were informed that the 2 sets of dumbells in the room were the only fitness facilities available. Not acceptable.

Swimming pool - well. It was a 2 m x 5 m "pool", that was more a part of the outdoor bar decor than a practical swimming pool.

This hotel is definitely not 5 star worthy. Interior and staff great, but unacceptable facilities and noise level from the bar/club was a big let down.

Will choose different hotel next time.

Room Tip: Don't stay at 1st or 2nd floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

The hotel room was large, modern and really nice, but in the evening the restaurant downstairs gets fairly busy and smoky. This smoke went all the way to the fourth floor into our room. We knew it would be waste of time changing rooms, so we put towels through the gaps of the door. The Tv is nice but noisy and when were watching a movie it crashed halfway through and we never got to finish it. We asked if we could have late checkout at 4pm and that was fine, but I felt that the maids were waiting for us to leave as we popped out for half an hour and they were in our room. We told them it wasn't necessary as we will be leaving in four hours. The breakfast was okay and it was strange to see roast potatoes for breakfast, but tasty. The food and drink is rather expensive, but the cocktails were tasty. Just couple a metres outside the hotel there is a few homeless people, which was bit of a contrast to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

You don't have to leave the hotel to have an great time in Marrakech. The staff is super friendly. The rooms are really nice. It's a bit expensive, but totally worth the money!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Everything is highly exceptional. It is more than an excellent experience we had during our stay. Usually people like free offers which are the thing that make me prefer to come back again and again. ... My wife & I appreciate the honeymooners compliments the hotel surprised us with. Superb, Marvelous, Exceptional and Wonderful times and extraordinary experience and memories in a relaxing home-like place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Samara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Stayed 5 nights as a single traveler early October. As from the moment I entered the hotel a relaxed feeling came over me. Soft lounge music, elegant fragrance, perfect interior. Was happily surprised with the deluxe room on the first floor. Room is big with separate dressing and awesome bathroom, all spotless clean. Nice to have the balcony as well. It felt good to realize that I definite made the right decision to choose for this hotel. I am in the interior and rental business myself so I check out my hotels with a lot of attention. Hotel staff is very competently, helpful and friendly. Breakfast buffet was ok but a bit more variety would be nice although. This small minus won't prevent me to return, I found the perfect spot for my trips in the future. It was already my third visit to Marrakesh, have stayed in nice riads in the medina. Main purpose this time was shopping and after a tiring day I definite prefer the 5 minutes bus ride to Gueliz to walking through the medina. Another reason for choosing Gueliz is the wide offer in good restaurants and bars. As a single woman walking in Gueliz in the evening felt more safe and comfortable in than the medina, I never had any trouble in the medina but in Gueliz there are all the time people on the street which gives a safer feeling.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed here in September after we were unable to find our Riad in the Medina (arrived at night). The hotel is located in the Nouvelle Ville (new city and outside the Medina walls), which is much easier to navigate and has secure parking located directly in front of hotel, which is highly convenient. The hotel is stylish with a modern bar, restaurant and rooftop bar. The hotel/restaurant/bar was rather empty while we were there but this was most likely due to the time of year. During higher seasons I'd imagine that the hotel would attract a high-end clientele. Overall the experience was a good one. The staff is very diligent and helpful, the rooms are sizeable and very modern.

However, the experience is comparable to staying at any W hotel in any major city. The main question to ask yourself is whether you want to stay in the Nouvelle Ville or in the Medina. For a more authentic experience of Marrakesh I recommend staying at one of the many top notch Riads w/in the Medina (recommend Riad Argan). The benefit of a Riad is twofold (i) you're staying directly in the heart of the old city and (ii) the level of attention/care at Riad will be much more personalized and will enhance your overall experience. Finally, the value at a Riad is better.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Bab Hotel? Share your experiences!