“A gem I would like to keep a secret ;-)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Riad Berbere

Save Saved
You added Le Riad Berbere to your Saves list
Le Riad Berbere
23, derb Sidi Ahmed Ben Nasser | quartier Kaat Ben Nahid, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #102 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Bruges, Belgium
“A gem I would like to keep a secret ;-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you are reading this, you must be looking for a riad to stay in Marrakech. I did the same, not easy, so much choice, so

many different options. But hey pssst, this is the one you want! ;-) It is so good I'd like to keep it a secret but that

would not do justice to the beautiful people working there.

My partner and I had been in Marrakech a few times before, my partner worked there and had the chance to stay in big 5*

hotels. This was our first stay in a riad (=house with garden). And it exceeded every other stay!

We arrived at Menara Airport and lost a lot of time because our luggage was lost. After giving a thorough description (what was in your suitcase? duh :-)) and filling in papers, the taxi driver that Ingrid from the riad had arranged was luckily still waiting for us. He took us to a little back street where we had to walk for a short bit to the riad. Through narrow little streets and alleys, where you think to yourself: omg, where are we?

But as soon as the door of the riad opened the smell of rose oil greets you and the warm smile of Karima :-) She led us to

the courtyard where we met Ingrid, the manager. Our first impression was: yes yes yes, we chose well! :-)
Ingrid offered to help us dealing with the lost luggage (thank you so much!!) and the next day at noon we had our luggage.

No worries!

Now what can I tell that has not already been said on here?

Service: wow, it's like meeting a new family, the women working there are so friendly and warm: Ingrid, Karima, Zahra,

Aziza, Amina, and excuse me if I forget someone. This is beyond service I believe. Not in your face service, which is

good, but if you wanted something they would make sure it happened. They are true stars lead by supernova Ingrid!

Room: we stayed in the duplex with a terrace, we loved the room. Yes a lot of stairs to climb but that would be the case in most riads I suppose ;-)

Decoration: quiet, sober, authentic, not over the top of kitschy... very simple but just right and beautiful. Just as we wanted it. Nice room, big, clean and a stunning bathroom! Everything was ok, towels, toiletries, water in room, ... We slept like babies there!

Garden: banana trees, orange trees, a little pond/pool, chairs, pillows, crazy friendly cats and a kamikaze turtle! (he crawled over my feet to get to its lettuce! :-) There is also a big nice saloon with fire place and lots of books to enjoy. We dined in there a few times as it got a bit chilly at night.

Roof terraces: our room included a little private terrace which we loved and used a lot. There were 2 more roof terraces, one for sunbathing and one for lounging/dining. You could see the Atlas Mountains from up there :-)

The food: oh my. I had had Moroccan food before, but was never really blown away. But then again, I had never met Zahra and her team. The food was amazing, really worth every cent! If you want dinner you have to let them know in the morning, and they ask you if you have any preferences. It costs 17 euro per person (entree, dinner and dessert). We dined there 3 out of the 4 nights we stayed there. We definitely recommend it! They also sell nice wine.

Breakfast (included in room price): different warm breads and pancakes every morning, fresh fruit, yoghurt, jams, eggs on request, orange juice... we loved it, a perfect healthy start to the day!

Location: it's about a 7 minute walk through the souks to Jema el Fna. For us this was perfect. Ingrid showed us the way on the first day and it was really easy to find back. It was so good to come back to this oasis of peace and tranquility after the hustle and bustle of the medina. The riad also provides free tea, coffee and water. A nice bonus!

Spa: I used the hammam, it was the first time for me. The lady who helped me, Amina, was very friendly and explained me what she was doing and why and it was a very relaxing experience. It's small, I am tall so my feet touched the wall but that did not really bother me :-) I also enjoyed a relaxing massage given by Amina and it was soooo good! I can only recommend it.

So much to say really, and I'm sure I have forgotten to mention things on here.
Would we recommend this place? yes!!!
Will we go back? yes!!! insha'allah

Thank you Ingrid, say hi to Karima for me, I missed her on our last day!
Thanks to the entire staff for making this a perfect stay.
Nathalie and Paul

Room Tip: We loved the duplex room with terrace!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Angmering, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed in a few riads but this one has something others don't.... Ingrid!!!

The riad is clean and well run, food is delicious and the atmosphere is very friendly.

I went with a girlfriend for a few days off and had the best time! Ingrid made the differnece with loads of local knowledge. When we arrived we had a check list of things we wanted to do and with Ingrid's help we achieved all of the things on our list.

We intend to return en mass as lots of my friends would love this experience!!

Enjoy!

Room Tip: We had the terrace room which is beautiful, we were moved for our last night to the balcony room whi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Ingrid the manager and her valuable team were amazing hosts. Nothing was too much for any of them. . The riad was fantastically located, with beautiful birds as company, the riad simple but elegantly decorated. The suites were spacious and inviting. Breakfast was vast and nicely served either on the terraces of your choice. Riad Berbere cook was very good and the dinner was in abduancd and worth the €17.
Overall the standard was very good, ill definitely visit again
Put a sign on the door

The suite bedroom above the kitchen can be noisy with the staff working etc. if you take the transfers, the price does include tipping the porter that brings you to the riad. This is not mentioned.
No credit cards or debit cards cannot be taken in the riad. This would be beneficial as I did not feel comfortable carrying large amounts of cash, if you booked via booking.com
If you are reliable on wifi, wifi works better on the ground level, however in the rooms wifi is terrible with intermittent coverage.

Room Tip: Away from the kitchen
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The riad has a great location, a lovely atmosphere, is comfortable and clean and is beautifully decorated and definitely has the potential to be great...where it could improve is in the service...breakfast was mediocre compared to others we had in Morocco...soaps, shampoos, etc were not replenished even though we were running out...towels were not replaced for a few days....also every sound in the courtyard could be heard in the rooms...overall however we were satisfied...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Various Bases, Antarctica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Preface: We like staying at different places and experiencing different accommodations, so don’t let the fact that we stay only one night in some awesome Riads cloud the review.

Safety: Coming from an Emergency Medical Services backgound, it is my impression that most Riads (by definiton) are fire traps. There is usually only one staircase and one way in/out, so keep this in mind when you bed down for the night! Consider and explore rooftop escape and teach your kids about it. Arrange for a meeting place such as a closeby Mosque...easy to find due to the tower.

Speaking of Mosques: I have no tolerance for complaints that seem to surface in too many Riad-reviews about „getting woken up by the call to prayer; it was very loud; we couldn’t sleep...“ You’re a guest in an Islamic country – if you don’t like that, why did you go there??

Riad Berbere

Came here from Dar El Qadi – the other Riad owned by the same proprietors. 2 adults + 2 sub-teens; stayed in the upstairs „Grande Suite“ above the kitchen area, which was perfect for that purpose. Room looks just like the pictures, is nice and large, and separable from the „kid-sleep-area“ by doors. We were immediately welcomed by Ingrid, the very outgoing and friendly manager. Received a tour of the place including rooftop terrace. This one was slightly lower than in the case of Mur Akush or Dar El Qadi and so did not afford the vast panoramic views of those, but was nevertheless comfortable and refreshing and, due to its partial recess, very quiet.

Very bright, open courtyard with a little pool. Inviting to put your feet in – we didn’t see anyone doing that so we assumed it may just be decorative. Adjacent to the patio a large library with seating areas and wealth of travel books in most European languages.

Ingrid guided us on our first walk from there to the souks and assured that we could find our way back by pointing out the various „waypoints“ (barber shop, power pole, purple sign, market etc etc). She also explained the layout of the souks and gave us more navigational assistance, which went a long way to alleviate my family’s feeling of being overwhelmed by the whole place. Everyone seemed to enjoy their touring much more after that.

Upon a dining recommendation by Ingrid as well as other, well-traveled German guests, we took a night walk through the Souks to Jemaa El Fna and beyond for dinner. No problems finding the way home.

For the kids, the highlight were the collection of three very clean and friendly adopted cats roaming the premises. Ingrid assured me that the cats could easily be sequestered should this be necessary for concerned or allergic guests. There are also a couple of turtles guarding the pond.

For any type of traveler, I have only the best to say about this establishment and would without hesitation recommend it!

Room Tip: As seems common, higher-level rooms afford more privacy. If you have family/kids, definitely book th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

After "roughing it" in the desert and high Atlas, Le Riad Berbere was our splurge in Marrakech and we very much enjoyed it. Breakfast on the terrace, relaxing in the courtyard, the cats and turtle, the smell of roses everywhere. We just wish they had a sign on their door because, after actually managing to find their street in the medina, we walked right by the unmarked door and finally had to pay a child to walk us 10 feet and tell us we were there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Garmisch, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

A great oasis among the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. It was clean, relaxing, the staff were very nice and accomodating, and it was reasonably priced. The manager was affable and helpful - the food was very good.

Location was also very good - once you walk out the door you walk a short way to join the souks on the way to the big square which is the center of everything. The square is maybe 15 minutes walk but you are walking through the souks so it is an entertaining walk!

**I'd skip any trip between mid may-Aug. We visited beginning of May and it was already 100F!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends