“Enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Suliman

You added Riad Suliman to your Saves list
Riad Suliman
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 - 41, rue El Bahia | Quartier Mellah-Medina, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #69 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Providence, Rhode Island
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Nice place to stay - close to the souks, but we were not aware of any noise once inside. There was a small pool in the courtyard (with tortoises, which are considered good luck) and mint tea on our arrival. Because we wanted twin beds, we wound up in a small room, but the other rooms looked a bit larger and more comfortable. There is a covered area on the roof terrace for relaxing out of the sun. I asked about sending out my laundry, but the staff took care of it and the charge was very reasonable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

Hi, we stayed in Riad Suliman for 9 days, rooms are small but nice and clean. Staff is very friendly, special cook is amazing. In three of our rooms was just cold water for 4 dyas and no compensation from hotel manager :-( . For breakfast brad, butter and jam, cake, coffe and fresh orange juice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
greece,athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

hallo...we slept 3 nights in riad all the people who work there made us feel like our home.the rooms were not very big but there were very clean.i suggest you to order a dinner.the cooker was amazing .the riad was very comfortably and friendy...there was a continuesly noise i didnt understand from where but there was and something else the water didnt flow only hot or only cold water but for 30 sec very very hot and after cold and after again hot.we informed dominiqui about this but we didnt anderstand something change.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

You can find Moroccan taste beautiful items all over the Riad.
I usually prefer a hotel, but I derinately recomend a Riad for Marrakech.
The welcome mint tea is very relaxing when you come back from the crowded city.
The rooms are beautiful, the bed is good, too.
There is a terrace with nice Moroccan style long sofas as well as beach chair where you can relax.
We stayed there for 4 nights and I was surprised that the bread they serve everyday changes.
I also tried the Hammam and Massage. My skin really became very smooth. I love Massage and try it wherever I go around the world, but I think this one was really one of the best I ever had.
The Manager as well as the staff are all very friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Riad Suliman was a fantastic place to stay for our couple of days in Marrakech. We ended up there after 7 days previously touring around Morocco and it was a welcome respite after all our travelling. The owner and host, Dominique, was warm and welcoming as soon as we walked in the door, and looked after our many needs after a week in the desert and mountains - a bit of laundry, extra towels and toilet rolls, a pre-dinner glass of wine, bottled water - all our requests were met with smiles and "no problem." Our only regret was that we stayed there during a fairly cold stretch in January so although bright and sunny it wasn't optimal for breakfast on the roof terrace (which had amazing views of the Atlas far in the distance - just beware though you can't see them in the haze of summer!) nor did we dip our toes into the lovely pool in the courtyard. I'm sure in the warmer months this place is even better! A big thanks to Dominique and her staff for a great stay - highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed in Riad Bahia in January 2012 and I very much liked it. The Riad has a new owner since October and she gave us a warm welcome. The rooms are very nice and clean and the road has a good price/quality.
This was my second time in Marrakech. Last time I stayed closer to the Djemaa el Fna but walking there from the Riad is a nice walk..and not far at all.
The breakfast is standard..as in all Riads I stayed in. This is just the breakfast how it is in most places in Morocco.

I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed 20-30 november.You never can tell what a place is like till you walk through the door.

We arrived in the dark, cold, damp and to be honest a not so nice area as we were in the Medina. We had such a warm welcome by Dominique and her staff and the two tortoise who just "wander"around. We chose the Turquoise Room - lovely. We had quite a bit of rain the first three days so spent quite a bit of time there and whilst the bed and pillows were slightly too hard for me, the lovely thick fluffy blankets made up for that. So it was a bit dismal to start with but we still got out and about but didnt take enough appropriate clothing. The weather soon warmed up, our spirits raised - Marrekesh was more appealing. Im glad I went with my husband - who is Algerian - so I didnt feel too pestered. The things we bought he bartered for in Arabic and got good prices. My husband was quite shocked at the amount of beggars. Also, I wouldnt have felt AS safe if I was with a friend, especially walking back from town to the Medina (which is why we didnt go out every night).

The food was great, especially at the Riad - Order your food in the morning and it is cooked for you with fresh ingredients bought that day. Fatima, I can still taste the lovely lamb cous cous! One day we didnt order food but i wasnt too well so we decided not to go out that evening and they made omelette and salad for us at very short notice. Like i said, they were very accomodating and couldnt do enough for you. And they organised the Fantasia trip for us. We also went to the stunning Jardine Majorelle, with the memorial to Yves St Laurent.

The Square inthe daytime is neither here nor there but at night it totally comes to live with food stalls serving great food all very reasonable. The souk is great but lots of "shops" selling same stuff. We bought our throws, cushion covers and lamp from a small souk by the medina as it was cheaper. And china from a big china shop as that was a bit cheaper than the souk. We were there 9 days so we had more time to shop around.

Overall a lovely break with my husband

The riad only accepts cash which luckily we knew before we came. however M&S recommended euro traveller cheques which we found to be a nightmare to cash. Only the central bank in new town would take them and make sure you take the receipt as well.. Although this is not normally a requirement, it is there and they refused to cash mine. Luckily a taxi driver told us of a hotel, which we walked past every day, and they cashed them no problem. The hotel is at the top of the "Princes" street (not the square end)

Room Tip: Turquoise room is at front of Riad but we didnt really hear any of the cars and bikes that went by...