“a very good riad for marracesh” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Suliman

Save Saved
You added Riad Suliman to your Saves list
Riad Suliman
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 - 41, rue El Bahia | Quartier Mellah-Medina, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #71 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
greece,athens
“a very good riad for marracesh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

hallo...we slept 3 nights in riad all the people who work there made us feel like our home.the rooms were not very big but there were very clean.i suggest you to order a dinner.the cooker was amazing .the riad was very comfortably and friendy...there was a continuesly noise i didnt understand from where but there was and something else the water didnt flow only hot or only cold water but for 30 sec very very hot and after cold and after again hot.we informed dominiqui about this but we didnt anderstand something change.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

You can find Moroccan taste beautiful items all over the Riad.
I usually prefer a hotel, but I derinately recomend a Riad for Marrakech.
The welcome mint tea is very relaxing when you come back from the crowded city.
The rooms are beautiful, the bed is good, too.
There is a terrace with nice Moroccan style long sofas as well as beach chair where you can relax.
We stayed there for 4 nights and I was surprised that the bread they serve everyday changes.
I also tried the Hammam and Massage. My skin really became very smooth. I love Massage and try it wherever I go around the world, but I think this one was really one of the best I ever had.
The Manager as well as the staff are all very friendly.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Riad Suliman was a fantastic place to stay for our couple of days in Marrakech. We ended up there after 7 days previously touring around Morocco and it was a welcome respite after all our travelling. The owner and host, Dominique, was warm and welcoming as soon as we walked in the door, and looked after our many needs after a week in the desert and mountains - a bit of laundry, extra towels and toilet rolls, a pre-dinner glass of wine, bottled water - all our requests were met with smiles and "no problem." Our only regret was that we stayed there during a fairly cold stretch in January so although bright and sunny it wasn't optimal for breakfast on the roof terrace (which had amazing views of the Atlas far in the distance - just beware though you can't see them in the haze of summer!) nor did we dip our toes into the lovely pool in the courtyard. I'm sure in the warmer months this place is even better! A big thanks to Dominique and her staff for a great stay - highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed in Riad Bahia in January 2012 and I very much liked it. The Riad has a new owner since October and she gave us a warm welcome. The rooms are very nice and clean and the road has a good price/quality.
This was my second time in Marrakech. Last time I stayed closer to the Djemaa el Fna but walking there from the Riad is a nice walk..and not far at all.
The breakfast is standard..as in all Riads I stayed in. This is just the breakfast how it is in most places in Morocco.

I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed 20-30 november.You never can tell what a place is like till you walk through the door.

We arrived in the dark, cold, damp and to be honest a not so nice area as we were in the Medina. We had such a warm welcome by Dominique and her staff and the two tortoise who just "wander"around. We chose the Turquoise Room - lovely. We had quite a bit of rain the first three days so spent quite a bit of time there and whilst the bed and pillows were slightly too hard for me, the lovely thick fluffy blankets made up for that. So it was a bit dismal to start with but we still got out and about but didnt take enough appropriate clothing. The weather soon warmed up, our spirits raised - Marrekesh was more appealing. Im glad I went with my husband - who is Algerian - so I didnt feel too pestered. The things we bought he bartered for in Arabic and got good prices. My husband was quite shocked at the amount of beggars. Also, I wouldnt have felt AS safe if I was with a friend, especially walking back from town to the Medina (which is why we didnt go out every night).

The food was great, especially at the Riad - Order your food in the morning and it is cooked for you with fresh ingredients bought that day. Fatima, I can still taste the lovely lamb cous cous! One day we didnt order food but i wasnt too well so we decided not to go out that evening and they made omelette and salad for us at very short notice. Like i said, they were very accomodating and couldnt do enough for you. And they organised the Fantasia trip for us. We also went to the stunning Jardine Majorelle, with the memorial to Yves St Laurent.

The Square inthe daytime is neither here nor there but at night it totally comes to live with food stalls serving great food all very reasonable. The souk is great but lots of "shops" selling same stuff. We bought our throws, cushion covers and lamp from a small souk by the medina as it was cheaper. And china from a big china shop as that was a bit cheaper than the souk. We were there 9 days so we had more time to shop around.

Overall a lovely break with my husband

The riad only accepts cash which luckily we knew before we came. however M&S recommended euro traveller cheques which we found to be a nightmare to cash. Only the central bank in new town would take them and make sure you take the receipt as well.. Although this is not normally a requirement, it is there and they refused to cash mine. Luckily a taxi driver told us of a hotel, which we walked past every day, and they cashed them no problem. The hotel is at the top of the "Princes" street (not the square end)

Room Tip: Turquoise room is at front of Riad but we didnt really hear any of the cars and bikes that went by...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

We arranged for a pickup from the airport, which for 15 euro is well worth to find the riad at first and see your surroundings. We were kindly greeted at the door and served tea right away. The fountain wasn't working so the water looked a little dirty. At first this concerned me but I quickly got over it. This isn't a 5-star resort so don't expect that. But you will find clean and cozy rooms, friendly staff and quaint surroundings. A 15 minute walk to the center of Jemaa el Fna, the walk is recommended for shopping as the shopkeepers don't haggle you as much as in the souks (which I found to be rather unpleasant). Tea and chicha on the terrace is perfect for relaxing after a day in Marrakech.

I also recommend the day trip to the Atlas mountains. Take the trip to the waterfalls...it's worth it, even after paying for a "guide" to take you (people in this area rely on tourists so just be kind and fork over the 100 dirham)...our guide wouldn't take us all the way to the top but we just paid him for showing us how to get there and then went to the top on our own. It's a great view so do it! Just make sure you bring appropriate shoes or go barefoot (like I did). I also recommend the hammam just near the riad by Palace Bahia. We went on the last day and it was the perfect ending to our time in Marrakech.

Breakfast is simple but again, you're in Marrakech...you will be served a typical North African breakfast (coffee, OJ, breads and toppings like jam, cocoa and butter)....don't expect a full spread. You can order dinner from the riad just be sure to give them a 24 hour notice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the mezzanine level.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Heidelberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Suliman was the best Raid we stayed in during our entire trip through Morocco. You step through the door and suddenly are transported away from the noise of Marrakech into a cooling riad with beautiful rooms and a super friendly and helpful staff. They were flexible and worked with us and even arranged excursions for us into the mountains. Breakfast was very good and the location exceptional. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: Off the ground floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Suliman? Share your experiences!