“I liked this Riad very much, friendly owner & good service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Suliman

You added Riad Suliman to your Saves list
Riad Suliman
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 - 41, rue El Bahia | Quartier Mellah-Medina, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #69 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Breda, The Netherlands
“I liked this Riad very much, friendly owner & good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed in Riad Bahia in January 2012 and I very much liked it. The Riad has a new owner since October and she gave us a warm welcome. The rooms are very nice and clean and the road has a good price/quality.
This was my second time in Marrakech. Last time I stayed closer to the Djemaa el Fna but walking there from the Riad is a nice walk..and not far at all.
The breakfast is standard..as in all Riads I stayed in. This is just the breakfast how it is in most places in Morocco.

I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Polish first
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed 20-30 november.You never can tell what a place is like till you walk through the door.

We arrived in the dark, cold, damp and to be honest a not so nice area as we were in the Medina. We had such a warm welcome by Dominique and her staff and the two tortoise who just "wander"around. We chose the Turquoise Room - lovely. We had quite a bit of rain the first three days so spent quite a bit of time there and whilst the bed and pillows were slightly too hard for me, the lovely thick fluffy blankets made up for that. So it was a bit dismal to start with but we still got out and about but didnt take enough appropriate clothing. The weather soon warmed up, our spirits raised - Marrekesh was more appealing. Im glad I went with my husband - who is Algerian - so I didnt feel too pestered. The things we bought he bartered for in Arabic and got good prices. My husband was quite shocked at the amount of beggars. Also, I wouldnt have felt AS safe if I was with a friend, especially walking back from town to the Medina (which is why we didnt go out every night).

The food was great, especially at the Riad - Order your food in the morning and it is cooked for you with fresh ingredients bought that day. Fatima, I can still taste the lovely lamb cous cous! One day we didnt order food but i wasnt too well so we decided not to go out that evening and they made omelette and salad for us at very short notice. Like i said, they were very accomodating and couldnt do enough for you. And they organised the Fantasia trip for us. We also went to the stunning Jardine Majorelle, with the memorial to Yves St Laurent.

The Square inthe daytime is neither here nor there but at night it totally comes to live with food stalls serving great food all very reasonable. The souk is great but lots of "shops" selling same stuff. We bought our throws, cushion covers and lamp from a small souk by the medina as it was cheaper. And china from a big china shop as that was a bit cheaper than the souk. We were there 9 days so we had more time to shop around.

Overall a lovely break with my husband

The riad only accepts cash which luckily we knew before we came. however M&S recommended euro traveller cheques which we found to be a nightmare to cash. Only the central bank in new town would take them and make sure you take the receipt as well.. Although this is not normally a requirement, it is there and they refused to cash mine. Luckily a taxi driver told us of a hotel, which we walked past every day, and they cashed them no problem. The hotel is at the top of the "Princes" street (not the square end)

Room Tip: Turquoise room is at front of Riad but we didnt really hear any of the cars and bikes that went by...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

We arranged for a pickup from the airport, which for 15 euro is well worth to find the riad at first and see your surroundings. We were kindly greeted at the door and served tea right away. The fountain wasn't working so the water looked a little dirty. At first this concerned me but I quickly got over it. This isn't a 5-star resort so don't expect that. But you will find clean and cozy rooms, friendly staff and quaint surroundings. A 15 minute walk to the center of Jemaa el Fna, the walk is recommended for shopping as the shopkeepers don't haggle you as much as in the souks (which I found to be rather unpleasant). Tea and chicha on the terrace is perfect for relaxing after a day in Marrakech.

I also recommend the day trip to the Atlas mountains. Take the trip to the waterfalls...it's worth it, even after paying for a "guide" to take you (people in this area rely on tourists so just be kind and fork over the 100 dirham)...our guide wouldn't take us all the way to the top but we just paid him for showing us how to get there and then went to the top on our own. It's a great view so do it! Just make sure you bring appropriate shoes or go barefoot (like I did). I also recommend the hammam just near the riad by Palace Bahia. We went on the last day and it was the perfect ending to our time in Marrakech.

Breakfast is simple but again, you're in Marrakech...you will be served a typical North African breakfast (coffee, OJ, breads and toppings like jam, cocoa and butter)....don't expect a full spread. You can order dinner from the riad just be sure to give them a 24 hour notice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the mezzanine level.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Heidelberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Suliman was the best Raid we stayed in during our entire trip through Morocco. You step through the door and suddenly are transported away from the noise of Marrakech into a cooling riad with beautiful rooms and a super friendly and helpful staff. They were flexible and worked with us and even arranged excursions for us into the mountains. Breakfast was very good and the location exceptional. Would stay here again!

Room Tip: Off the ground floor
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

The Riad's location is perfect, just 3 minutes walk from the Palais de la Bahia and Place des Ferblantiers. It is 10 to 15 minutes walk from the Place Jemaa el Fna and the walk is pleasant as it is away from the hustle and bustle of the Medina.

The staff at Riad is very friendly, professional and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. I highly recommend the Riad, we had a great time there and will certainly come back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

This Riad was great for a short break, me and my friend visited few weeks ago in March, we loved staying in this Riad-it showed us the traditional cultural side to Morocco which was great. We did a hamman at the property and it was Perfect, the fact that we experienced it all yet close to our own rooms to shower and clean ourselves after the treatment and massage.

The keepers where great people, polite yet VERY helpful and friendly. We had breakfast included in our stay-everyday was something different, all very lovely and home made. its highly recommended if you want to experience the culture!i loved it 101%.

Sometimes we went back and chilled in the communal area with a book and shisha, very peaceful and we felt extremely safe for 2 girls.

One down fall is when we first arrived in Marrekesh, the riad was extremely hard to find as taxis dont tend to go into the one way riad street..the only advice i can give is keep walking straight straight through and follow numbers and eventually you will find it!there are lots of people/guildes?in marrekesh that takes u to certain places if u happen to bump into one may be ideal to get them to take you then tip them like 20D or so.

The late night manager (Rashid) was very helpful. Although the other staffs where very friendly too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Bexhill, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

Having never been to this part of the world before I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect but thankfully the riad suliman somewhat softened the culture shock. Whilst the riad is a traditional as they come with traditional North African fixtures and fitting and seamless service from the staff. I booked through luxury-rids.com as they offered a buy 3 nights get 4 nights and a handy free transfer. As a surprise anniversary present to my husband it was absolutely perfect with an ideal mix of the exotic and the decadent. I would recommend this rhiad to my friends if asked and also hope to be invited along again! All in all a very relaxing few days and a visit that has opened my eyes to both the magic of Marrakech and also the Arab world as a whole. I found the muezzins call to prayer particularly atmospheric.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Suliman? Share your experiences!