“Small charming riad in the middle of the medina, Marrakech” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Abracadabra
Derb Jamaa, 125 | Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #114 of 1,070 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Hornbaek, Denmark
“Small charming riad in the middle of the medina, Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This charming, lovely riad is beautiful decorated, has 7 rooms, a central space with soft couches and a little fountain and a roof terrace with a small pool, sun beds and breakfast facilities. The staff is very helpful, and very concerned, that their guests are pleased. The road is placed very centrally close to the main square Jamaa el Fna, but you hear no other sounds from the city than when there is call for prayer. The riad might consider having changed the doors to the rooms as every sound from the rest of the house can be heard very vividly. Not good when people are returning during the night, coming to work early in the morning or sitting in the central room talking. The riad offers also dinner, but stay with the very fine breakfast, as dinner is not worth while having (the cook is not a very skilled on).
Be aware that if you do not pay cash at check out, there will be a fee of 3,5% (!) We did not know....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had always wanted to have my 40th birthday party in Marrakech - and so I commenced on a long process of assessing suitable venues of villas and riads. Riad Abracadabra looked like a good candidate, so once I'd confirmed the suitability of rooms for my all my friends, and the availability to hire out the entire riad from Friday through to Sunday, I set about liaising with Bruno to arrange the party.

What can I say, other than it was everything I had hoped for, and more! It goes without saying that the riad was beautiful, and each room with its en-suite bathroom ensured each of my friends had their own peace and space. The courtyard provided us with a central meeting area for the evenings, and a brilliant party/dancing space around the fountain, whilst the roof terrace allowed for us to laze around during the day, and have a truly Moroccann dining experience on the night of my birthday.

All the staff were extremely helpful - organising dinners at nearby restaurants and clubs, and associated transfers (not simple when there were 19 of us!) They were always attentive, but never invasive, and nothing was ever too much trouble. What they thought of this party-crowd from London I don't know, but despite us partying until the early hours of the morning, the Manager and his team were happy to look after us.

I am certain that I will return - possibly with a few friends again, and I would recommend Riad Abracadabra to anyone who wants to see the real Marrakech.

Venessa

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful - but the duplex Deluxe Rooms (Merlin and Madame Mim) are especially lovely...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Lovely though the staff were (possibly the nicest I have experienced anywhere), nice though the decor was, and despite the great location we felt properly let down by Riad Abracadabra.

Firstly, having splashed out on one of the deluxe rooms which looked lovely on the site with two levels, comfy sofa etc. ( which we expected to use given the time of year ) it turns out one of the deluxe rooms isn't like that at all and s simply a nicely decorated en suite hotel room with pretty much just the bed to sit on. Guess which one we got...

That was disappointing but the biggest issue by far was the NOISE. You can hear everything from the lobby, the street outside, the other rooms, the dumb waiter running up to the roof, the stairs - you name it. And that's before you discover you are in the direct firing line of the amplified call to prayer at 5am every morning from the mosque next door. Which goes on for 15 minutes... Try sleeping through that!

It's such a shame as with proper soundproofing this would be a lovely relaxing place to stay. And maybe it is if you aren't in Deluxe Suite Oz...

Room Tip: Avoid Deluxe Suite Oz
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
inesbulto, Propietario at Riad Abracadabra, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Mr. Stark,

My name is Bruno and we met at the Riad during your stay. We talked about the stalls to visit and eat at the Jamaa el Fna Square and so on...Thank you for the comments on Riad Abracadabra. And thank your for the nice writing about decoration, kind staff and great location.

I would like to answer as well to some of your other comments.

Riad Abracadabra counts with only eight rooms that are classified in only three categories based on square meters, and distinctive decoration, so all of them are different one to the other. As your booking was made through a big online reservation platform and not through our website, you couldn't choose specifically the room in which you wanted to stay but only you could choose the category room. Despite Oz Deluxe Suite is a very demanded room, as it is large and distributed in only one floor, when we receive a reservation made through an external website, we first book the two Deluxe Suites that have two floors and the comfy sofa you refer to in your comment. As I had no complain from your side for not meeting your room expectations or demand or requirement on site, I thought your were happy. If so, I would have made my best to try to change your room.

Regarding the noise you talk about, you need to understand that Riads are more as a private house than a hotel with heavy isolated walls and windows. For us this is part of the charm and the spirit of the Riads.

Regarding the "call to prayer", this is something impossible to avoid inside the medina as you can find a mosque every 50 meters. Again, this is part of the essence of the Marrakech.....there is no doubt that you are in a muslim country and everything is completely different to what we are used in occidental countries.

I am really sorry that you were disappointed about it but just wanted to clarify that what for you has been unpleasant, for other is just a nice experience and part of the charm of the Riads and the essence of Marrakech.

In any case, we thank you for being so sincere as you gave us the opportunity to clarify some important things about Riads.

Kind Regards,

Bruno
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed here with a group of girlfriends in May. It was our first time in Marrakech and we were a little anxious about staying in a riad. All of our anxiety disappeared as soon as we stepped in side Riad Abracadabra. The staff was AMAZING. They never tired of helping us pick restaurants, making reservations, helping us navigate the marketplace and meet all of our needs. We stayed in the Merlin suite, which was just perfect. Incredibly spacious, clean and well appointed. In fact, the entire riad was immaculately kept and smelled like roses the entire time we were there. The breakfast in the morning was a great touch. Be prepared for the fact that this riad is smack dab in the middle of the marketplace - but for us that was part of its charm. It's not noisy once you're inside the walls of the riad. Overall, an amazing experience. We loved Riad Abracadabra and plan to revisit it when we return to Marrakech!

Room Tip: The Merlin Suite is on the ground floor. It's huge and perfect for a small family or group of fr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Schweiz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Riad Abaracadabra is a truly nice place. The interior is tasteful; the rooms are bigger compared to other riads I’ve seen. The staff is helpful and friendly, and its location is perfect for going out to the Jamna el fna. Jumping in to the roof top pool is pretty cool too!
My first impression: This is a perfect place for our stay in Marrakesh. But I’ve got one thing to criticize:
After the hectic and busy atmosphere in the souks in Marrakesh, coming back to the riad is always a relief as you can cool down and relax…If been to several Riads in Marrakesh. All of them have been an oasis of quietness and the rooms stayed cool, even on hot, hot days.

That’s where Riad Abaracadabra lost a bit of its magic. It was not even a super-hot day but our room was heating up during the day and the walls kept the heat the whole night. Sleeping without aircon was difficult.
Furthermore the acoustic of the patio is quite impressive. You can hear the flush and the showers of all the guests in the house, you know when the last guest is back in the riad as the patio is just not reducing any noise…If you’re unlucky and stay in the room facing the street, you’ve got the noise from outside and inside. As said before, I’ve been to other riads and never experienced such a loud patio.
As the Riad has been reconstructed from scratch, I suspect that the morrocan knowledge of how to build a place that stays cool and absorbs the noise has been sacrificed for style and bigger rooms…

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

I discovered this jewel on my third trip to Marrakech and thanks to the word of mouth. It was recently refurbished with an extremely tasteful and cosy décor, and it meets all the musts for a perfect trip: great location, the best service and striking comfortable rooms (beds are Four Seasons Hotels' standards!!). It has a beautiful patio and a terrace with a small swimming pool, therefore creating many different spots to enjoy the hotel without jumping into the other guests. It is an oasis of calm.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, España
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

Just came back from 4 days in exciting Marrakech and I am willing to repeat my stay at Riad Abracadabra. This is like nothing I have ever seen before in many ways. Service, food and decor are outstanding and made of this excellent located hotel, our house in Marrakech. I can't think of a better place to stay, despite I have been in many other riads and hotels in this city.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to Riad Abracadabra? Share your experiences!