We booked our week at the wonderful Riad Ambre et Espices through British Airways
After discussions between the 2 of us we decided on a Riad as opposed to a hotel. What a great decision that was.
We contacted the Riad before departure and they arranged for a taxi to be waiting for us on arrival and take us to the Medina. The taxi cannot get to the front door of the Riad due to the narrowness of the alleyways, however we were offered Bus 11! (walk) or a donkey to make the final few hundred yards. Abdul from the hotel came and helped us with the cases and we followed him down the narrow streets to a wooden door at the end of a dead end alleyway. Well thoughts of "where are we?" were soon dispelled by entering a fabulous Riad. Set over 3 floors, downstairs terrace, pool and dining room to the roof top sun terrace and breakfast area. The whole building had been sympathetically renovated to high standards and looked amazing. Patrice the manager was on hand to welcome with mint tea and explain the Riad and what they had to offer.
Our room was immaculate and had complimentary shampoo and shower gels together with many fluffy towels. Free Wi-Fi was available though out the hotel.
Breakfast was served on the roof terrace and what a view to start the day. Breakfast was a delight each day with freshly squeezed orange juice, local fig jam and a variety of local breads and pastries.
As it was my birthday whilst we were there we arranged a Hamman and a massage through the Riad. They were both superb, followed by the chef Fatima's cooking on a rose petalled table in the courtyard.
The food at the Riad was lovely and Patrice was even on hand to make recommendations of where to eat. Every one of his recommendations was fantastic.
The Riad is kept to a very high standard of cleanliness and towels and bedding are changed everyday.
We booked two separate excursions whilst there which had early starts, and all Patrice could say was "what time would you like your breakfast?" This sums up the attitude of all the staff at the Riad, they wanted to do everything possible to make your stay enjoyable.
Although situated in the old part of the city and down narrow alleyways you always felt safe and once you mastered the first few alleys it was not difficult to find your way around. The alleyways were clean and the hubbub of Medina living was something to experience. Pedestrians, bicycles, mopeds, donkeys, mules and horse and cart all added to the enjoyment of the organised chaos of the Medina and Jemaa El Fna Square. As for taxis, do what we did, check with Patrice or ask the locals what the price should be to your destination before letting the taxi drivers take you for a ride…literally!
At present the Riad only has 6 bedrooms which adds to the intimate and boutique feel of it. At times it felt like you had the Riad to yourself with your own private pool. Occasionally you would see other guests at breakfast or in passing , to exchange tales of bartering or hidden gems found behind small wooden doors.
We visited the new Western suburbs of the city, Gueliz and Hivernage which whilst were all bright and sparkly we could have been in any big European city and were so glad we chose the Riad to get a true experience of what Marrakech was about.
Would we recommend Riad Ambre et Espices? Definitely YES!, was there anything they could do better? NO!
A perfect location in an authentic setting coupled with amazing helpful staff made for a fabulous holiday.
Andy and Colleen
- Also Known As:
- Riad Ambre Et Epices Hotel
- Riad Ambre Et Epices Hotel Marrakech
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located in the heart of the old district of Dar Elbacha and near the famous Souks, this old house, owned in the past to a large spice merchant, renovated with respect for the art and tradition of Morocco, will become your new address in Marrakech.Riad Ambre and Spices is a place of mixing to the refinement of its decoration inspired both of the East, Africa and India, all in an authentic atmosphere Marrakchi.Hammam, massage, swimming pool / jacuzzi, solarium and terrace . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Otel and HotelsClick so you can book your Riad Ambre et Epices reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.