“Nice food but not worth the hype” 3 of 5 stars

13, derb El Arsa | Riad Zitoun Jdid, Marrakech, Morocco
05 24 38 17 52
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food but not worth the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We'd read about Mama Ti Lee in Lonely Planet, which had given it a glowing review. The restaurant was quite tricky to find (if you arrive on the correct street and it looks like there's nothing at the end of the road, keep going, Mama Ti Lee is there!)

I'd like to hope that we have had a one-off experience as Mama Ti Lee, but we were disappointed with our time there. Having booked in advance as suggested, we were guided to a tiny table for two on the middle floor. After getting the lamp to work, we sat down at the table with cutlery, both of which were dusty (so much so that when I moved my knife I could see where it had been!) along with the dusty, unused wine glasses (the restaurant is still waiting for its alcohol license).

The food was not a bad price at 230dh for three courses, however two of the things I had requested on the menu were unavailable (one being a main course, of which there were only two choices for) which was limiting for a restaurant with an already minimalist menu. That said, the food we ordered was delicious, and quite an interesting fusion of Moroccan and western cooking. Not terrible (but not brilliant) service means that I wouldn't recommend Mama Ti Lee, it seems slightly overhyped.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“My favourite meal in Morocco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The best food I ate on my two-week trip to Morocco. There is a changing set menu with vegetarian options, with three courses coming to only around 20 euros. The food was delicious and carefully presented, with the menu mixing Moroccan, French and Asian influences on the day we visited. It was lovely to meet the restaurant's Parisian chef on our way out. A great find.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, weird vibe.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Food was absolutely delicious and great value at 230Dr for the set menu. The lamb spring rolls in particular were a triumph. The atmosphere is not great however as everything is grey and quiet. Slightly strange seating meant we ate while sat on a hard sofa with no back and awkward pillows.

The high grey walls mean there is no view from the roof terrace and these are not even decorated, they are simply prison-like grey walls!

The lack of liquor licence is also a problem as a glass of wine would have been perfect with dinner. Perhaps allowing customers to bring their own wine and charging corkage would be a good idea?

Having said this, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Mama Ti Lee and would recommend it to anyone.

Visited October 2013
Marrakech, Morocco
“Lovely and refined menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Moroccan inspired restaurant was a great find. The space is modern and eclectic. the staff is excellent and speak both French and English. we loved every dish of the menu. The restaurant is a bit difficult to find. I suggest to ask the locals for directions.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Definitely a lovely place. I had a very nice dinner at this restaurant. The tast of the dishes are very well balanced and subtile. I loved the coffee/ chocolate desert. And a good thing too is, it has a really friendly owner. I would go an other time.

• Visited June 2013