“Fab weekend away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #109 of 463 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Fab weekend away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was my 4th time to Marrakech and I've not tired of the place.

Located in the north of the medina, at the bottom of an alleyway is Riad Anyssates. Less than 5 mins walk to the medina walls and 15 mins to the Majorelle Gardens, it's location is handy, albeit a little away from the hustle and bustle of the main square. I don't mind this though but just ensure you learn your route around the medina or rely on google maps (like I did) which was brilliantly handy.

Riad Anyssates' hosts were friendly and so welcoming. We enjoyed traditional Moroccan mint tea on arrival, followed by a tour of the place. We were also given local maps and info to help us plan our trip.

We were greeted with a friendly welcome and told we were being upgraded from the white room to a suite. Very exciting and a nice way to start the weekend! Lovely to have a little extra room and be near the top of the property.

The rooms are lovely and simple but quite luxurious, and the communal spaces of the riad are spacious and plentiful.

The pool in the central courtyard is beautiful. At lunchtime the sun hits the pool perfectly so it's the best time to have a little dip. We were here in July so a balmy 35 degrees and sunny every day, so the pool was a nice temp too. Not chilly at all.

Breakfasts were delicious and varied day to day, with pancakes, roti's, other pastries and cakes as well as delicious fresh orange juice and tea, coffee and yoghurts. Highly recommended. We took breakfast on the roof terrace but you can enjoy it anywhere in the riad.

We enjoyed dinner at the riad on our first night too, and enjoyed 3 courses of simple but delicious Moroccan food.

The staff are lovely and very considerate. Their English was sufficient to understand our needs and in many ways adds to the charm of staying somewhere overseas. A little effort on our part of speaking a little French goes a long way and is much appreciated.

The in-house Hamman was very good and pretty decent value for money. Definitely an experience! Don't expect it be to subtle and relaxing. Think more vigorous but you come out invigorated and wonderfully cleansed.

The massage was enjoyable too and relaxing.

All in all this riad surpassed my expectations. I've stayed in quite a few riads over the years and this is one of my favourites. The Mr & Mrs Smirh stamp of approval is well justified.

Looking forward to returning in the future.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Esher, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

We just had three nights at this lovely riad. The rooms are clean and quiet and the beds comfy. Mohammed greets you and is the life and soul of this Riad. The breakfast are lovely with freshly cooked pancakes or rotis. Lovely yoghurt and freshly squeezed orange juice. The only disappointment was the Spa. The masseurs were inexperienced and use way to much oil. Apart from this I would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Spent 5 days in the Riad and it was wonderful. Marrakech is manic but this Riad transports you to a calm serene oasis away from the crazy mopeds, donkeys, & cyclists!

Our room was perfect size - air con and water no tv. Large walk in shower and toliet facility all tastfully decorated. Towels and robes provided. The room was cleaned and tidied daily - much to my shame my clothes or tolietries were always tidied and folded awaiting our return.

There is a cold but refreshing plunge pool in the courtyard and a large roof terrace. Breakfast was delicious and breads, tea/coffee, fruit & yoghurt.

The staff whilst English was not really spoken still managed to converse and always were smiling and friendly.

We used the Hamman and had a massage which are both in the hotel and it was an amazing experience and such value for money.

Throughly recommend this Riad.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

In a city so manic to the unknown traveller this Riad has the ability to immediately calm travelling tensions. We arrived late in the evening and after a long and exhausting experience in Marrakech airport, along with a slightly stressful taxi journey, we eventually walked through the unassuming doors of the Riad to a peaceful and calming environment.

We appreciated Nicholas' introduction to Marrakech and, in particular, the culture and expectations within the Medina; this put us at ease. Be aware, to those travelling into the Medina for the first time, the over friendly locals, maze of alleyways and endless beeping from the motorbikes & mopeds can be quite intimidating, particularly if you arrive late at night.

We loved our room on the terrace - it was the ideal place for us to unwind, however, occasionally we felt 'out of sight out of mind' and neglected when relaxing on the terrace.

Overall, our stay at the Riad was peaceful, very pleasant and tranquil in the context of a very lively and hectic city.

Friendly staff, helpful management and an overall clean and peaceful Riad. Definitely recommend if you're looking for a traditional Riad with calming undertones.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

It was an oasis of calm in the hustle of the Medina and the staff was very helpful and polite, happy to help us with any request. We also appreciate the advice and recommendations of Nicholas on the arrival, which made our trip easier in the Medina. We recommend this riad to anyone who wants to experience a more traditional side of the Medina

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I went to Marrakech with two of my best girlfriends and after having done our research we decided to stay at this amazing Riad in the northern bit of the Medina. We found the Riad through the website Mr and Mrs Smith and once we arrived there we realised we had made the right choice!

The Riad was beautiful, impeccably clean and the person in charge (Nicholas) very polite and always helpful. The Riad's keeper Tehran was very helpful and always with a big smile on his face.

The breakfast in the hotel was really tasty. Breakfast included freshly squeezed orange juice, pancakes and crepes, yogurt and fruit salad, coffee, mint tea. One day we wanted an omelette and nothing seemed to be a problem for them.

The Riad's decoration was very stylish, following the traditional Morrocan style. The Riad's location was very good to explore the Medina. I would definitely recommend it and hopefully manage to go back again!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Luckily I arranged a separate transfer from the airport rather than arranging this through the Riad, which turned out to be a good move as other guests who had arranged their transfer through the Riad were left stranded at the airport and had to make their own way.

You get dropped off a couple of streets away, and need to carry your luggage for a few hundred metres through the narrow streets. Doesn’t look much on approach. On arriving at the Riad, although initially greeted by the English-speaking manager Nicholas, I was merely shown through a maze of corridors and then just left in one of the lounge areas for nearly half an hour. When someone did turn up with documents for me to complete, they were in Arabic & French, and the staff member didn't speak a word of English. After being left alone for another 10 minutes to fill in the form as best I could, the same staff member came back, grabbed my suitcase and scurried off, leaving me no choice but to follow if I didn't want to lose my luggage. My case was just put in my room and the staff member disappeared. I wasn’t shown how to work the aircon etc, have no idea where the lounge is or where dinner is served, what time breakfast is etc. I expected fairly good customer service but the arrival and greeting process leaves a lot to be desired.

All rooms and common areas are quite small, and the seating throughout the Riad is quite uncomfortable. Despite the low number of rooms, it was difficult to get away from the other guests. Music was playing in the common areas until late at night.

I elected to eat dinner at the Riad, sitting on the roof terrace. It started with what I think was pea soup and flat bread – cold, but obviously meant to be hot as it was luke warm in the middle. Main course was at least hot and edible (although had to wait 30 mins) - chicken tagine (breast & leg portions in lemon & herb with olives) and couscous. Desert was the best bit - orange segments sprinkled with cinnamon, strawberry ice-cream and strawberry pannacotta. Each part was good but not sure that the combination worked. No sign of the complimentary bottle of wine with dinner (Mr & Mrs Smith). The dinner on the following two nights isn’t even worth mentioning – it was edible.

The Riad has free wifi, password on a note in your room (but in tiny tiny writing). The room was surprisingly quiet when the shutters and curtains were closed. Comfy bed. Clean bathroom. There is a bottle of water in your room when you arrive, but you need to pay for any further bottles during your stay.

Breakfast meant waiting around in the main courtyard until a member of staff appeared and then try and get through the language barrier. Considering this Riad is advertised as speaking English, it was quite ridiculous! Talk about misrepresentation.

After breakfast (on the 2nd day) the manager approached because I hadn’t filled in the forms correctly when I arrived. So it was mid-morning on the 2nd day before I finally learned about the riad policies and Marrakech itself; dining options and times, places to visit, taxis, fair prices, scams etc. Although the website said that guides or day trips could be arranged through the Riad, none of this was offered. Other places I have visited I have been given phone numbers or even a mobile phone in case I got lost, but none of that here.

On the final day, the manager asked that I settle my account that evening, but then he was nowhere to be found. This was typical of the manager. Other guests were having the same problem, which meant that we were all trying to check out at the same time early the next morning when we should have been relaxing having breakfast.

Make sure you check the bill before paying, as mine was incorrect, as was the bill for another couple leaving at the same time as I.

Overall, the Riad is pretty and well maintained and the general staff are very pleasant and try their best to help. I would recommend it if you can speak the language, and are familiar with Marrakech itself.

If you cannot speak French I wouldn’t recommend this Riad. It also is not suitable for people who do not like cigarette smoke, as smoking is permitted anywhere in the Riad.

For me, the Riad was let down by the management and misleading advertising which meant that my expectations were not met.

Personally, whilst I will return to Marrakech in future, I will choose to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Riad Anyssates? Share your experiences!