“Lovely Riad which is so friendly” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Anyssates

You added Riad Anyssates to your Saves list
Riad Anyssates
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 Derb El Bomba | Arset Ihiri, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #173 of 481 Hotels in Marrakech
Esher, United Kingdom
“Lovely Riad which is so friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

We just had three nights at this lovely riad. The rooms are clean and quiet and the beds comfy. Mohammed greets you and is the life and soul of this Riad. The breakfast are lovely with freshly cooked pancakes or rotis. Lovely yoghurt and freshly squeezed orange juice. The only disappointment was the Spa. The masseurs were inexperienced and use way to much oil. Apart from this I would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
Valérie D, Gérant at Riad Anyssates, responded to this review, April 6, 2015
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor, Mohamed truly is an essential component of Anyssates and has been here since the very beginning and his constant good mood is very contagious.
Following your critics of the massages, know that we now work with professional licensed masseuses and beauticians through a specialized company. All that's left is for you to come back and aprove!
As always, our guests feedbacks are always a big help to better ourselves.

Nicolas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Spent 5 days in the Riad and it was wonderful. Marrakech is manic but this Riad transports you to a calm serene oasis away from the crazy mopeds, donkeys, & cyclists!

Our room was perfect size - air con and water no tv. Large walk in shower and toliet facility all tastfully decorated. Towels and robes provided. The room was cleaned and tidied daily - much to my shame my clothes or tolietries were always tidied and folded awaiting our return.

There is a cold but refreshing plunge pool in the courtyard and a large roof terrace. Breakfast was delicious and breads, tea/coffee, fruit & yoghurt.

The staff whilst English was not really spoken still managed to converse and always were smiling and friendly.

We used the Hamman and had a massage which are both in the hotel and it was an amazing experience and such value for money.

Throughly recommend this Riad.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

It was a pleasure welcoming you as was reading your splendid review foyour stay. The team joins me in thaking you for it and we hope to see you return soon

Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

In a city so manic to the unknown traveller this Riad has the ability to immediately calm travelling tensions. We arrived late in the evening and after a long and exhausting experience in Marrakech airport, along with a slightly stressful taxi journey, we eventually walked through the unassuming doors of the Riad to a peaceful and calming environment.

We appreciated Nicholas' introduction to Marrakech and, in particular, the culture and expectations within the Medina; this put us at ease. Be aware, to those travelling into the Medina for the first time, the over friendly locals, maze of alleyways and endless beeping from the motorbikes & mopeds can be quite intimidating, particularly if you arrive late at night.

We loved our room on the terrace - it was the ideal place for us to unwind, however, occasionally we felt 'out of sight out of mind' and neglected when relaxing on the terrace.

Overall, our stay at the Riad was peaceful, very pleasant and tranquil in the context of a very lively and hectic city.

Friendly staff, helpful management and an overall clean and peaceful Riad. Definitely recommend if you're looking for a traditional Riad with calming undertones.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive feedback on your stay with us in Marrakech, I was happy to see that it all went well. Thank you too for reminding us to be more careful about people chilling on the terrace, I will see to it. Return soon!

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

It was an oasis of calm in the hustle of the Medina and the staff was very helpful and polite, happy to help us with any request. We also appreciate the advice and recommendations of Nicholas on the arrival, which made our trip easier in the Medina. We recommend this riad to anyone who wants to experience a more traditional side of the Medina

Dear Cristina,

I am so glad to see you enjoyed your time in the riad and in Marrakech altogether, thank you for sharing this with everyone, the team and I feel very encouraged by comments such as yours. I hope that we will have the privilege to see you come back sometime soon.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I went to Marrakech with two of my best girlfriends and after having done our research we decided to stay at this amazing Riad in the northern bit of the Medina. We found the Riad through the website Mr and Mrs Smith and once we arrived there we realised we had made the right choice!

The Riad was beautiful, impeccably clean and the person in charge (Nicholas) very polite and always helpful. The Riad's keeper Tehran was very helpful and always with a big smile on his face.

The breakfast in the hotel was really tasty. Breakfast included freshly squeezed orange juice, pancakes and crepes, yogurt and fruit salad, coffee, mint tea. One day we wanted an omelette and nothing seemed to be a problem for them.

The Riad's decoration was very stylish, following the traditional Morrocan style. The Riad's location was very good to explore the Medina. I would definitely recommend it and hopefully manage to go back again!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for a wonderful review of your stay in the riad. Reading that you liked every part of the stay is a great boost for the team and I. We wish to see you vack with us soon for another successful experience in our oasis!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Luckily I arranged a separate transfer from the airport rather than arranging this through the Riad, which turned out to be a good move as other guests who had arranged their transfer through the Riad were left stranded at the airport and had to make their own way.

You get dropped off a couple of streets away, and need to carry your luggage for a few hundred metres through the narrow streets. Doesn’t look much on approach. On arriving at the Riad, although initially greeted by the English-speaking manager Nicholas, I was merely shown through a maze of corridors and then just left in one of the lounge areas for nearly half an hour. When someone did turn up with documents for me to complete, they were in Arabic & French, and the staff member didn't speak a word of English. After being left alone for another 10 minutes to fill in the form as best I could, the same staff member came back, grabbed my suitcase and scurried off, leaving me no choice but to follow if I didn't want to lose my luggage. My case was just put in my room and the staff member disappeared. I wasn’t shown how to work the aircon etc, have no idea where the lounge is or where dinner is served, what time breakfast is etc. I expected fairly good customer service but the arrival and greeting process leaves a lot to be desired.

All rooms and common areas are quite small, and the seating throughout the Riad is quite uncomfortable. Despite the low number of rooms, it was difficult to get away from the other guests. Music was playing in the common areas until late at night.

I elected to eat dinner at the Riad, sitting on the roof terrace. It started with what I think was pea soup and flat bread – cold, but obviously meant to be hot as it was luke warm in the middle. Main course was at least hot and edible (although had to wait 30 mins) - chicken tagine (breast & leg portions in lemon & herb with olives) and couscous. Desert was the best bit - orange segments sprinkled with cinnamon, strawberry ice-cream and strawberry pannacotta. Each part was good but not sure that the combination worked. No sign of the complimentary bottle of wine with dinner (Mr & Mrs Smith). The dinner on the following two nights isn’t even worth mentioning – it was edible.

The Riad has free wifi, password on a note in your room (but in tiny tiny writing). The room was surprisingly quiet when the shutters and curtains were closed. Comfy bed. Clean bathroom. There is a bottle of water in your room when you arrive, but you need to pay for any further bottles during your stay.

Breakfast meant waiting around in the main courtyard until a member of staff appeared and then try and get through the language barrier. Considering this Riad is advertised as speaking English, it was quite ridiculous! Talk about misrepresentation.

After breakfast (on the 2nd day) the manager approached because I hadn’t filled in the forms correctly when I arrived. So it was mid-morning on the 2nd day before I finally learned about the riad policies and Marrakech itself; dining options and times, places to visit, taxis, fair prices, scams etc. Although the website said that guides or day trips could be arranged through the Riad, none of this was offered. Other places I have visited I have been given phone numbers or even a mobile phone in case I got lost, but none of that here.

On the final day, the manager asked that I settle my account that evening, but then he was nowhere to be found. This was typical of the manager. Other guests were having the same problem, which meant that we were all trying to check out at the same time early the next morning when we should have been relaxing having breakfast.

Make sure you check the bill before paying, as mine was incorrect, as was the bill for another couple leaving at the same time as I.

Overall, the Riad is pretty and well maintained and the general staff are very pleasant and try their best to help. I would recommend it if you can speak the language, and are familiar with Marrakech itself.

If you cannot speak French I wouldn’t recommend this Riad. It also is not suitable for people who do not like cigarette smoke, as smoking is permitted anywhere in the Riad.

For me, the Riad was let down by the management and misleading advertising which meant that my expectations were not met.

Personally, whilst I will return to Marrakech in future, I will choose to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor, all feedbacks are precious to us in order to improve ourselves.

As you explained, one can reach the riad from the airport through a private transfer or with the local taxi. The local taxi are normally able to drop their passengers less than a 100m from the riad, but some are not able to read maps, some get the adress wrong and with around 1800 riad in Marrakech they can be much more mistaken. Often they are.

I regret that your arrival was so hectic, I should not have kept you waiting for that long, it was a busy time and I got lost (not physically though) on the way without passing instructions on time. I was not concerned with the arrival papers since they are in arabic and french but also in english, spanish and german but i should have guided you through as I usually do. I also apologize for the communication issues with the staff, most of them don't speak much english other than strict basics, I am the reason the riad is described as "english spoken" and so I wish I could have been more available at this time.

I am sorry that you found the room and common spaces too small for you, Still, ours have different sizes and most of them are bigger than the average riad in Marrakech, as is the riad overall which has more rooms and more spaces than most of the others. It also means that, even when we are fully booked, our guests usually notice that there are many different spaces all over the riad and tend not to feel promiscuity. Ultimately what matters is how you felt about it and I regret that you felt the place not spacious enough. As for the seatings and beddings I am sorry that you found only the latter to be suitable: even though we try and have the right balance between firm and plush, some of our guests actually did find the mattresses to be a bit too firm while linking the sofas and cushions from the lounges, patio and terrasse. We will make sure to make a better compromise taking your remarks into acount.

The dinner on the other hand was not supposed to arrive this late, neither should it have been cold, and it is my fault for not having been there to make sure that such basic necessity was not respected. Since we now have a new chef, this kind of thing should not happen anymore and the meals have gotten much better.
Concerning Mr & Mrs Smith complimentary bottle of wine, we usually expect our guests to order what they wish for in order to not feel pushy and since some actually don't want any wine but that's probably another mistake on our side, that should be no more.

I am surprised to see you had a hard time with breakfast too since in the morning the staff constantly goes back and forth to bring breakfast and clean the emptied table, and they only need to know where you want to have breakfast, since it possible anywhere in the riad's common areas, wether you want to have tea or coffee and if you would like something like an omelette instead of one of the breakfast's components. I understand that the language barrier can make it frustrating to make such simple things understood.

I gave you the explanations regarding the riad and Marrakech in the morning only since you arrived a bit late the day before, just in time for dinner and you were not going to go out after or before. Therefore I did not want to immediately assault you with loads of informations at once, but again, I shuold have. I should also have told you all that we can organize for you but I did not want to make it look like I was pushing it on you, I was way off and feel sorry about that. Again, thank you for your feedback on all these aspects.

It's a shame that we missed eachother for settling the bill in the evening, it was not by much and I can always be called back by the staff. Since you already had gone out for dinner I thought it better to do it the next morning instead of late in the night right after you had a nice dinner. This was yet another failure on my side that feel bad for.

The riad being made of 2 open air patio, not counting the terrace's space, we chose to allow people to smoke in it, and most make sure not to do it too close to others that it can disturb but I should have been more careful about that too.

In the end I am terribly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations, me in particular, and I thank you for the help in correcting my shortcomings, hoping that you still enjoyed your visit of Marrakech

St. Helier, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

A beautiful boutique riad. Very helpful staff.
Lovely rooms. ACworks.
Located off a tiny street, so don't be put off just prior to arrival.

A personal run through of all that Marrakech has to offer and great attention to ensuring that you have a good time while in the city. Helpful advice on where to go and how to get there and how much to pay.

I have stayed in bigger, smarter hotels in Marrakech but Riad Anyssates is in an interesting location and offers charming accommodation ant a reasonable rate.
I will be back!

Valérie D, Gérant at Riad Anyssates, responded to this review, April 9, 2015
Dear Ronaldo

It was a real pleasure welcoming you as was reading your nice review foyour stay. The team joins me in thanking you for it and we hope to see you return soon.