“A real gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 1,053 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Round the world
“A real gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I have nothing but positive things to say about Riad Azoulay. One of the most beautiful places I have ever stayed, up there with the luxury of our honeymoon!

I did a lot of research before choosing a Riad and I am so glad I decided on Azoulay mainly due to the excellent reviews I read on trip advisor. From arriving to leaving our stay was just perfect. The staff were so lovely, helpful and friendly and always smiling. Breakfast was a real treat, I looked forward to it every morning, we dined in one evening and the food was delicious, I would highly recommend it. Another highlight for me was their gorgeous dog 'meti' and the tortoise.

The call to prayer at 5am did not bother us in the slightest and we were in the room on the terrace (beautiful), it just added to our experience of Marrakech.

Thanks you for a wonderful stay and the endless cups of mint tea (another highlight!) We will be recommending you and Marrakech to all our family and friends, a truly magical place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
The Hague, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I am a frequent traveller. However, it was my first time in Morocco and I wasn’t sure what to expect. I must say that my stay at the Azoulay Riad had far exceeded my expectations. The staff and management were extremely attentive and very charming. The room was far larger than I needed and very comfortable. I loved spending my time on the terrace enjoying the sun and the view of merchant stores below. The food was always fresh and very tasty. I HIGHLY recommend the fresh mint tea!

I also thought the location was great. While it may be hard to find, I didn’t have that problem since I had arranged a pick-up from the airport. I will definitely be staying at Riad Azoulay during my next stay and would recommend it very highly!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Bedford - England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed here due to its Trip Advisor rating and can recommend it for more than just the exceptionally friendly staff who could not do enough to help and advise us. The location is perfect, a short walk, 10 minutes, up any of three different shopping routes from the main square and close (2 minutes) to the hop-on-hop-off (touristique) bus.

Finding it the first time would be very difficult but the staff seem to have recognised this and met us (and all other guests we spoke to) from the taxi on arrival, provided us with a map, and took us to the Touristique bus stop on the first morning. Finding our way back from then on was easy. The taxi from the airport was arranged through the Riad and was only 15 minutes away.

The food was excellent as was the wine and although there is no menu we just put ourselves in the hands of the chef and were delighted each time.

The staff spoke a full range of languages amongst them, italian, french, spanish, german and english and language was never really a problem here or anywhere we went with most people at the Riad and across the town speaking enough english to hold a conversation.

Thanks Max and all for a great stay and when we come back to Marrakech (which we will not resist) you will be our first point of call.

Room Tip: Wherever we went in Marrakech the call to prayer was readily heard - take some earplugs if you are a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Well, used of being around in Arabic countries, I was actually very surprised with the quality of service and warmness from Massimiliano and his staff, who have made us feel entirely at home at this beautiful restored Palace in Jewish quartier.

From the arrival until the departure, everything went smooth and beyond our expectations with our transfers and excursions in the desert and south of Morocco, also provided by the riad.

Last but not least, the little pet "Meti" will be definitively missed as she became a constant presence during our very well home cooked meals!

Bravo!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Bulverde, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I have Tripadvisor to thank! After a change in plans, we had to quickly find a Riad and this was my choice. The hotel was happy to have a sweet man (Youssef) meet out car to help us find the hidden door. The location is fantastic, the hammam and massage with Zahara was superb, the beds were comfortable and the food was great! My friends live in Rabat and plan on returning they were so happy I found this place. Thanks Max for a great visit!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

When wie arrived, the Taxi driver dropped us in front of the spice souk and said "It's down there, just 5min", then disappeared. We were totally lost and decided to ask another taxi driver for the way, but no one seemed to know the way. Luckily a man said he knew, so we had to trust him and follow him into the dark, crowded souk with 3 suitcases, which was not really fun. After 5min we arrived in a side alley that wie would have never found on our own and a little sign said "Riad Azoulay". A pity that no one told us before our arrival that it's so difficult to find. You have to arrange a pick up upfront.
The Riad is in the Jewish quarter, approx. 15min walk from the main square. A nice area.  The hotel management were lovely, very helpful. Breakfast is served in the sun where one can watch the storchs nest and the mountains can be seen from the rooftop terrace. They have a lovely puppy as well. Breakfast was good, eggs upon order.
As the mosque is next to the Riad, every morning at 5am there is the call for prayer which would wake us up, but the rest of the night was quiet.
All in all, we would probably not return, as we think that Marrakesh has many more beautiful places and riads, but we'd recommend it for a short stay in case you've got them pick you up and show you the way.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
methimax, Direttore at Riad Azoulay, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
Morocco is a Muslim country, and the prayer call is an important part of the Muslim religion. No doubt non-Christian visitors to Venice or York probably find the constant pealing of church bells a little disconcerting at first.
The majority of our clients love the fact that our riad is off the beaten tourist track, and thus comparatively quiet, except fo the afore-mentioned call to prayers!
As regards the transfer or lack of transfer: we offer all our clients a transfer from or to the airport; this naturally includes being met at the airport drop by one of our staff, whose duty includes carrying the luggage, and at the end of their stay being accompanied back to the airport pick up point .Only a very few clients choose not to use this service; clearly the guests in question formed part of that very small minority.
We are sorry that these clients were unhappy with some details.
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I have stayed in only one other riad in Marrakech, so my experience is limited, but I have to say that our stay at Riad Azoulay was marvelous from start to finish. From the moment we were picked up at the airport to our departure four days later, we were made to feel that we were the most important guests there. I can't praise the staff enough for their attention to our needs and desires: making restaurant reservations, arranging transportation to the Ourika Valley and to Essaouira, helping us find our way through the neighborhood souk, serving mint tea (with sugar on the side!), providing a memorable hammam and massage experience, and giving us a mini cooking exhibition and a complimentary dinner. That dinner was the best meal we had in our entire week in Morocco. Although a riad in the Marrakech medina is not expected to be the quietest experience, we quickly adjusted to the street noises and the muezzin's early morning call to prayer from the mosque across the street -- we just rolled over and went back to sleep. The riad is in a good location, near the Bahia Palace, the gold souk, and a quick and highly entertaining walk to the Jemaa el Fna square. There are hundreds of riads in Marrakech from which to choose, but if you decide to stay to stay at this one, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: From what we could see, all the rooms were nice, though the ones on the upper floor are probably bri...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Azoulay? Share your experiences!