“Brilliant hotel- dodgy view!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Les Jardins de l'Agdal

Save Saved
You added Hotel Les Jardins de l'Agdal to your Saves list
Hotel Les Jardins de l'Agdal
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Mohammed VI | Zone touristique de l'Agdal, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #252 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Yorkshire
“Brilliant hotel- dodgy view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed here for a pre Christmas break. A fantastic hotel on a surprise location through Easy Jet. We had a view of a building site and tried to upgrade to a pool view but it would have been quite expensive to do so. Aside from that this would have been rated 5 star which is possibly unfair given we got what we booked for. This is a marvellous hotel. Décor is fantastic. Service brilliant. Supermarket 5 minute walk away for wine, nibbles and Carrefore so if you want to stock your fridge with cheap wine, beer and dips its not far away. Free shuttle bus into Marrakech on the hour until about 6pm and a £5 taxi ride back. This hotel is great for a base to balance the tranquillity of Morocco and the mayhem of Marrakech. The hotel staff are brilliant and if you make the smallest effort to speak French it pays! Excellent service, great pool, nice relaxing spa, good restaurant and lots of room to wander about in the hotel for an hour exploring. We couldn't fault the hotel and the staff. Breakfast was very plentiful and varied- patisseries, continental, English and good service. I loved this hotel and would recommend it highly. Reception are a little slow but nothing moves that fast here so it all adds to the charm! I would return here in a heart beat if I was to return to Marrakech. We spent ages looking at central Riads and ended up booking here in a moment of not knowing what to do. I didn't regret it! Perfect!

Room Tip: Worth avoiding a garden view as the garden may well be a building site!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

467 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Very good and spacious hotel with lots of unused spaces. Reception area is a little dark and need more light, the staff is friendly as far as you try to be friendly too, it seems like breaking the ice is not easy in Morocco and not only with the hotel staff but everywhere :) .. Anyway, the breakfast is less than average. I stayed 10 days and at the second day I gave my comments to each and every hotel staff that might have authority to change or add items to the breakfast menu but of course nothing happened. However, if you are vegetarian you wouldn't have a problem as the fruits was the only amusement at the breakfast.

Internet speed reminds you of mid 90's. :)) but, in Morocco in general everywhere there is WIFI that restaurants, hotels, cafe's, etc.. are providing for free. Funny enough that you don't have this at the Casablanca Airport but in Marrakech you can find free wifi everywhere.

Fel Maghreb la tastaghreb :))
This is Arabic words that is very famous and means "Don't be surprised, you are in Morocco"

Rooms are clean, and room service, house keeping was good as well. Choosing the location of your room would be a bit of a problem as the HUGE rooms are nicely located and normal sized rooms are far away from the lobby. So, if you are not very much of a walking person you should see where is the room first.

The Spa. FANTASTIC .. Thumbs up. Also, no nasty attempts so really very professional and clean place to try Moroccan Hammam and Massage.

Location is fantastic as very central. 10 minutes by car to the train station at the heart of Marrakech, 10 minutes to the road leading to the Mountain side of Marrakech "Okaimden and Ourika" - Highly recommended places to visit. Also, 3 minutes walk from the Pacha and 555 the most awaken night clubs for house and dance music. A little cheesy but still fun.

Room Tip: 3 travelers will really enjoy the low cost spacious triple rooms. Couple travelers would try the poo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Very good hotel decoration wise, rooms are lovely, interior . Everything is selected beautifully. Good wifi all over the hotel. The bad side is the service. Specially room service , reception are extremely poor. No one answer the phone. Very limited room service. Remote area not central and taxi over charge back and forward to the hotel. Breakfast is good but not great. Good facilities nice pool and the pool and gym and activities guys are the best. House keeping also poor. Even when u complain they don't take it seriously.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Rabat, Morocco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

I came here for one night because i have flight next day it was a horribel experience first the reception they dont know English language and some girl there shes very very rude like talking with enemy !! She notice that am from morocco she give me very far and noisy room and no view even i asked for Nice calm room to can spend night sleeping anyway she did not want to change the room asking me to Pay more if i want ?? In breakfast The waiters are very very rude i ask for tea he said go bring it urself :0 i would never ever come again or my friends its soo bad ...

• Stayed September 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

After climbing Mt Toubkal, I returned to Marrakech and checked into this lovely hotel both for business and pleasure. I had a very warm welcome and the staff were very helpful, professional and friendly. I needed to recover and they respected my every wish.

The room was so peaceful and clean, the lobby area is really relaxing, private and quiet as I managed to spend some time there in video conference and completed all my work.

I think most of the bad reviews are due to communication problems, as you will find not many of the service industry personnel can speak English in Morroco.. and I noticed 95% of the guests were French and the rest were Arab. So you cannot rate the hotel as awful, based on that 1 lacking factor. After all, the Tourism industry in Morocco really does not rely on the English speakers... so this is hardly going to kill it.

My advise is to make an effort with the language barrier as you'll find the staff are very warm and receptive. There is a lovely book market (white tents) just by Jamaa el fna, they have some amazing Arabic/English dictionaries which you will find very useful if you really want to get the best out of this wonderful country.

Although I was on my own I felt very comfortable both within and when commuting from the old town in the evenings, Yes the location seems at first to be far from the old town (if you want to walk it) however it is just a mere 5 mins drive out of the old town walls and located in the main tourist complex where all the other hotels/ and night life seems to be for those who want something more lively and if you tell the taxi to switch on the meter, they will offer to drive you for max 50Dhm at night. during the day you can just get the shuttle and it will drop you right by La Koutoubia.

Overall my stay here was really refreshing, after 4 days I did get bored and decided to spend my last few days in the busy old town so I checked out. However, that was only because I had no more work to do and as I was on my own I went and stayed in a Riad in the Medine where I knew a few people. I will stay here again without a question.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel for 5 nights. We had 2 interconnecting rooms for 4 adults and 1 child.
The positives: the hotel is BEAUTIFUL, exactely what we were looking for. Morrocan charm with the facilities of a big hotel. During our last visit to Marrakech we stayed in a riad, which is fine for a couple but this time we wanted a big swimming pool and a kids club. The rooms were spacious, the outdoor pool was heated ( the temperature went down on our third day, please keep it high), the food was very good, kidz club small but lovely staff, free shuttle to town (less than 10 min ride) and everything was ultra clean.
Now the negatives:
quite a cold and rushed check in, no smiles from staff. Furthermore, we were told we would have to pay a supplement for our 3 year old daughter. Luckily, I had anticipated this and had contacted the hotel in advance. They had confirmed children stayed free of charge and I showed the email to the receptionist.
The dailiy argument with the silly waiter who wanted to overcharge us for drinks every night. We were staying on a haf board deal, and every night we would have to argue with the waiter who wanted to charge us for one extra coke, sprite or bottle of water. Come on people, we are talking about 50 cents! And considering one of us was ill every night and could not go down to eat, how could you try to make us pay for one extra coke?
The housekeepers, seating, sorry, lying on the sofas set for clients next to the lifts, so
unprofessional.
The shuttle driver, who had a mind of his own and left 5 minutes before the schedule departures, leaving a lot of people waiting for another hour.
Smoking in the bar, but I guess different country different rules
In a nutshell, this hotel is not 5 stars, but neither is their daily rate. I do not think they could charge more than they do and get away with it, the quality of the service is just not there.
But with good management this place could be truly amazing.
By the way, yes, it s not in the centre, and yes, everybody speaks French, so what? Morroco has French influence, not English, and it is part of its charm.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Booked ths on a late booking site as we decided to extend our stay. This Massive complex hotel is a 10 miinute drive from Marrrakech town centre and inthe middle of the waste lands. Set among several other huge and emptyish hotels, on the avenue Mohammed IV - the longest road in Africa - and a big duak carriageway, The hotel seems quite 4* to the eye but service is abysmal, no-one speaks adequate english. The man behind gthe desk short changed us by 200MAD ( about £20 when we paid, and then took the money back off us while he did the morroccan shuffle under the counter, put the correct amount back on the counter and then implied we had been mistaken. One morning my partner was unable to get to breakfast as he was ill and I asked if I could take a tray, the restaurant chief of police (manager) said I couldn't as it was forbidden (his word) to remove food but that he would be happy to get onbe of his staff to carry it for me. What he didn't say was that there would be a charge for this. After I complained the would- be thief at the desk told me that he'd talked to the manager and that it impossibleto make a refund, but that I could get drinks to the value at the bar. When I tried to do this on our last day (2 teas not exactly a great loss to the coffers) he denied ever having said this. It was quite embarrassing. he eventually gave us some tea as if it was the hardest thing he'd ever done in his life. There is a 100MAD deposit for pool towels. The pool never gets deeper than 1.29m although it is large and I enjoyed the ( free) water aerobics class. You need to pay a deposit - again 100mad to pay pool. There is a shuttle bus into Marrakech although the last one back is at the stupidly early 7pm. a petite taxi back should be no more than 50mad. There is only transport to the airport for flights to france - altho I suppose you could jump on if the timings were right - I'd bet they'd try to charge you. The bloody keycards refused to work, - once we had to go back to the desk 4 times to get into our room and of course it was our fault as we had carried the cards in our wallet - we hadnt - and it's no joke when your room is about 500m from the desk. Apart fromthat the room was nice but no wifi (despite promises ) and no english speaking TV channels. I wanted a big pool and have been to marrakech several times before. I decided to tolerate 3 days here rather than waste time searching for somewhere nicer closer to the action. There are thousands of half finished half derelict empty apartment complexes round here which seem to be where the local kids hang out and booze - so not pleasant for walking esp at night but there is a mini shopping mall western style about a 5 min walk away (through the ghost town and over a gravel path) where there is an excellent Carrefour supermarket where you can buy great french food snacks - the tajine at the hot counter and the pizza are excellent. and booze. I don't like hotels where I am run over by a metal detector on the way in either. so - pool good breakfast plentiful and good - range of pastries, omelettes crepes, fresh fruit, cooked stuff european- ish and morrocan. But don't expect boiling water for your tea, and I had put all my plates on a tray to take to my table as I didn't want to make several trips, and the food police man took all of my stuff off the tray until he realised I was taking it to a table. Definitely not what I expect of a 4* hotel. I have had better friendlier more honest service in a back street b&b than here. The spa was never open andt hey charge for the gym

Room Tip: poolside but I think all have balconies
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Les Jardins de l'Agdal? Share your experiences!