“A pleasant retreat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Les Jardins de l'Agdal

You added Hotel Les Jardins de l'Agdal to your Saves list
Hotel Les Jardins de l'Agdal
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenue Mohammed VI | Zone touristique de l'Agdal, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #279 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
“A pleasant retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

After climbing Mt Toubkal, I returned to Marrakech and checked into this lovely hotel both for business and pleasure. I had a very warm welcome and the staff were very helpful, professional and friendly. I needed to recover and they respected my every wish.

The room was so peaceful and clean, the lobby area is really relaxing, private and quiet as I managed to spend some time there in video conference and completed all my work.

I think most of the bad reviews are due to communication problems, as you will find not many of the service industry personnel can speak English in Morroco.. and I noticed 95% of the guests were French and the rest were Arab. So you cannot rate the hotel as awful, based on that 1 lacking factor. After all, the Tourism industry in Morocco really does not rely on the English speakers... so this is hardly going to kill it.

My advise is to make an effort with the language barrier as you'll find the staff are very warm and receptive. There is a lovely book market (white tents) just by Jamaa el fna, they have some amazing Arabic/English dictionaries which you will find very useful if you really want to get the best out of this wonderful country.

Although I was on my own I felt very comfortable both within and when commuting from the old town in the evenings, Yes the location seems at first to be far from the old town (if you want to walk it) however it is just a mere 5 mins drive out of the old town walls and located in the main tourist complex where all the other hotels/ and night life seems to be for those who want something more lively and if you tell the taxi to switch on the meter, they will offer to drive you for max 50Dhm at night. during the day you can just get the shuttle and it will drop you right by La Koutoubia.

Overall my stay here was really refreshing, after 4 days I did get bored and decided to spend my last few days in the busy old town so I checked out. However, that was only because I had no more work to do and as I was on my own I went and stayed in a Riad in the Medine where I knew a few people. I will stay here again without a question.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel for 5 nights. We had 2 interconnecting rooms for 4 adults and 1 child.
The positives: the hotel is BEAUTIFUL, exactely what we were looking for. Morrocan charm with the facilities of a big hotel. During our last visit to Marrakech we stayed in a riad, which is fine for a couple but this time we wanted a big swimming pool and a kids club. The rooms were spacious, the outdoor pool was heated ( the temperature went down on our third day, please keep it high), the food was very good, kidz club small but lovely staff, free shuttle to town (less than 10 min ride) and everything was ultra clean.
Now the negatives:
quite a cold and rushed check in, no smiles from staff. Furthermore, we were told we would have to pay a supplement for our 3 year old daughter. Luckily, I had anticipated this and had contacted the hotel in advance. They had confirmed children stayed free of charge and I showed the email to the receptionist.
The dailiy argument with the silly waiter who wanted to overcharge us for drinks every night. We were staying on a haf board deal, and every night we would have to argue with the waiter who wanted to charge us for one extra coke, sprite or bottle of water. Come on people, we are talking about 50 cents! And considering one of us was ill every night and could not go down to eat, how could you try to make us pay for one extra coke?
The housekeepers, seating, sorry, lying on the sofas set for clients next to the lifts, so
unprofessional.
The shuttle driver, who had a mind of his own and left 5 minutes before the schedule departures, leaving a lot of people waiting for another hour.
Smoking in the bar, but I guess different country different rules
In a nutshell, this hotel is not 5 stars, but neither is their daily rate. I do not think they could charge more than they do and get away with it, the quality of the service is just not there.
But with good management this place could be truly amazing.
By the way, yes, it s not in the centre, and yes, everybody speaks French, so what? Morroco has French influence, not English, and it is part of its charm.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Booked ths on a late booking site as we decided to extend our stay. This Massive complex hotel is a 10 miinute drive from Marrrakech town centre and inthe middle of the waste lands. Set among several other huge and emptyish hotels, on the avenue Mohammed IV - the longest road in Africa - and a big duak carriageway, The hotel seems quite 4* to the eye but service is abysmal, no-one speaks adequate english. The man behind gthe desk short changed us by 200MAD ( about £20 when we paid, and then took the money back off us while he did the morroccan shuffle under the counter, put the correct amount back on the counter and then implied we had been mistaken. One morning my partner was unable to get to breakfast as he was ill and I asked if I could take a tray, the restaurant chief of police (manager) said I couldn't as it was forbidden (his word) to remove food but that he would be happy to get onbe of his staff to carry it for me. What he didn't say was that there would be a charge for this. After I complained the would- be thief at the desk told me that he'd talked to the manager and that it impossibleto make a refund, but that I could get drinks to the value at the bar. When I tried to do this on our last day (2 teas not exactly a great loss to the coffers) he denied ever having said this. It was quite embarrassing. he eventually gave us some tea as if it was the hardest thing he'd ever done in his life. There is a 100MAD deposit for pool towels. The pool never gets deeper than 1.29m although it is large and I enjoyed the ( free) water aerobics class. You need to pay a deposit - again 100mad to pay pool. There is a shuttle bus into Marrakech although the last one back is at the stupidly early 7pm. a petite taxi back should be no more than 50mad. There is only transport to the airport for flights to france - altho I suppose you could jump on if the timings were right - I'd bet they'd try to charge you. The bloody keycards refused to work, - once we had to go back to the desk 4 times to get into our room and of course it was our fault as we had carried the cards in our wallet - we hadnt - and it's no joke when your room is about 500m from the desk. Apart fromthat the room was nice but no wifi (despite promises ) and no english speaking TV channels. I wanted a big pool and have been to marrakech several times before. I decided to tolerate 3 days here rather than waste time searching for somewhere nicer closer to the action. There are thousands of half finished half derelict empty apartment complexes round here which seem to be where the local kids hang out and booze - so not pleasant for walking esp at night but there is a mini shopping mall western style about a 5 min walk away (through the ghost town and over a gravel path) where there is an excellent Carrefour supermarket where you can buy great french food snacks - the tajine at the hot counter and the pizza are excellent. and booze. I don't like hotels where I am run over by a metal detector on the way in either. so - pool good breakfast plentiful and good - range of pastries, omelettes crepes, fresh fruit, cooked stuff european- ish and morrocan. But don't expect boiling water for your tea, and I had put all my plates on a tray to take to my table as I didn't want to make several trips, and the food police man took all of my stuff off the tray until he realised I was taking it to a table. Definitely not what I expect of a 4* hotel. I have had better friendlier more honest service in a back street b&b than here. The spa was never open andt hey charge for the gym

Room Tip: poolside but I think all have balconies
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
geneve
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We strayed there for one night on a w-e. the hotel is nice, rooms are big, cleaned and everything was working well.
Ok this is not a luxury 5 stars but we were really please by the breakfast, it is served till 10:30 and we arrived at 9:30, it was quite at that time and we had a very nice service and a huge choice for breakfast. Everybody working in the hotel was super nice, treating us everywhere. As a conclusion, we will come back here definitely because it is a good value for the money and it is well situated if you like to party at night because it is super close from the biggest nightclubs of the city.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night because our booked hotel messed up the booking. On first glance it looks nice, rooms are ok but there is no way this is 4.5star hotel in my opinion. The waiters are rude and the breakfast was a complete chaos. It didn't help that we didn't speak french but usually in 4.5star you would have at least one English speaking waiter.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Had a brilliant stay here with a couple friends. Hotel is beautiful with comfortable rooms and lovely pool. It's a bit further away from the main market area, but only about 5-10 mins by taxi. They also have a free shuttle bus from the hotel to the market and back, which was very convenient. Didn't really need to take any taxis unless we went during the evening.

Pool - very clean with pool side bar. Small deposit needed for towels, but was given back once towels have been returned.

Was a bit wary after reading some of the reviews from other travellers regarding tipping, service, and English language. We found the service excellent here throughout the entire stay, staff were all very friendly and helpful, and there was always at least 1-2 people that spoke excellent English in every department - reception, waiters, porters, hotel reps etc we knew some basic French (very very basic!) which helped too. Didn't have any problems regarding tipping, consistently excellent service. They have definitely done something to improve from some of the complaints some other travellers have mentioned previously.

Free wifi in reception area

Food - We were a little 50 50 with the breakfast buffet, weren't too keen on some things on offer. Dinner was excellent though - delicious, lots of choice and fresh.

Entertainment - there were quite a few fun activities organised by the fantastic hotel reps there - aqua gym, steps, karaoke in the mini club downstairs, poker and more - they also played "Evil Dead" there too on a projector with French subs, so both English and French speakers could understand which was pretty cool....but just too scary for us to watch!

Considering it was also Ramadan when we went, we were really impressed with the brilliant service and enthusiasm of all the staff at this hotel - despite them not being able to eat or drink for the whole day until evening.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Rabat, Morocco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel is far from the city center
We could hear the Noise of plans
rooms are small and poor
you pay a caution to use the swimming pool towers
we had to change our room 3 times
Frankly, it's not what we expected.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple