“A gentle and warm place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad La Maison Nomade

Save Saved
You added Riad La Maison Nomade to your Saves list
Riad La Maison Nomade
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Sidi Benslimane, Kaa Sour, Derb Sidi Ahmed | El Barje No. 94, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #493 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Aalborg, Denmark
“A gentle and warm place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

My wiife and I stayed 7 nights at Riad La Maison Nomade and are looking forward to revisit. The riad is located in the northern part of the Medina which we found very calm and authentic. The Riad itself is run by a very helpfull and likeable staff which willingly shared their enthusiasm for Marrakech and Morocco. In addition to this La Maison Nomade serves the best morrocan food you can get! We definitely had a lot of fun during our stay!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

99 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Duesseldorf
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

We had spent a few days there a couple of months ago and since then had come back to Marrakech several times. This allows a more balanced and comperative judgement and seriously relativates the first impression.
Despite the description the riad is really located in a very remote part of the Medina which can be scary, especially after sunset. Going out for dinner after a long days walk thru the Medina takes an extra effort - which helps the inhouse restaurant of the Maison that offers meals at European rather than local prices. If you go for the Pastilla make sure it's freshly made - ours apparently was made the day before and a serious disappointment.
Before signing up for a trip around better compare the different options yourself. We were "sold" a rental car trip with chauffeur to Essaouira for over 120€ a day rather than pointing us at the Suprabus tour for 13€ per person.
The local staff in the riad was very friendly and dedicated. However, the German owner frequently raised disputes with his people in public. Those loudly controversies were disturbing, embarrassing for those around and created a climate of discomfort.
The riad is nicely renovated and has rich decoration. However, since the patio was permanently covered by a plastic panel despite the moderate temperatures it was overall dark.
As there are many choices of riads in Marrakech there is no need to select the Maison Nomade again, though.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Warwickshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Although a frequent traveller I have never taken the time to write a review of places I have stayed, until now. But this time I wanted to as this riad is a little gem. I came here for a birthday treat with my niece. Herbert the owner (unfortuantely I did not get to meet his wife Touria) is wonderful - a charming, welcoming and generous host. I found this place by recommendation from another riad when the dates of my trip were double-booked. I don't think I would have found it otherwise, as being German, Herbert's guests tend to be from there or Switzerland. But what a loss for us Brits!
The riad itself is beautiful - very tastefully furnished and decorated and also very quiet. As with all places in the Medina, it is an experience to find but very do-able. People may find being in the Medina a little overwhelming, but for me, I would not stay anywhere else. It is a way of truly experiencing the real Marrakesh and enjoying its beauty and culture. I felt I had stepped back into medieval times. And this riad was no harder to find than others in this area. And as a woman (blonde as well!) I felt perfectly safe walking back at night, even in the early hours after a rather wild night out on the town!
Within a short space of time, La Maison Nomade felt like home. Sweet Caltomb is an excellent cook - she cooked the best Morrocan food we found in Marrakech and happily catered for us two vegetarians- and a kind and gentle soul to have around. And Herbert, as I say was excellent company, a good laugh and an affable host. The trips we organised through him were well worth doing and pretty good value for money. And the added bonus was that he could understand our English sense of humour! I felt quite sad saying goodbye to my new found friends!
Don't hesitate in your choice...this is a place well recommended! I would definitely stay here again. It's a shame it doesn't have a higher rating on Trip Advisor. But I think this is because Germans tend to use other sites for recommendations rather than Trip Advisor.
Trust me...you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2010
Teulada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

A beautiful Riad with exceptional decor, friendly and helpful staff and good food

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Worb
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2009

If you have the chance to be guest in this wonderful place, there will be no need to buy any souvenirs. I'm still at a loss for words for what I experienced. By travelling around the world I never experienced such a heartfelt host. Whatever this staff is doing, they don't do a job, they rather live for what they do.
Owner Herbert & Touria: Congratulations for what you made out of this place and for the choice of the excellent staff.
Manager Karim: Thanks for being with us, you might know what we felt when we had to leave....
Assistant Aalaoui: I just say: the king of moroccan tea! No matter what we needed, Aalaoui somehow knew it before we did.
Cook Kaltoum: Nowhere all over Marrakech we had traditional food in such a high level quality. Only a good soul is able to cook that way!
Kaltoum's daughter: Thanks for keeping the house as well as our rooms allways clean!
The most precious souvenirs from Marrakech are kept in our heart and mind, not in the cabin luggage!

P.S. Just one tiny thing: Beakfast has some potential left in regards of variety (e.g. eggs, fruit, müesli, or so...)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

The riad was beautiful, the room was clean and had charming Moroccan decor, and the manager was very kind and helpful. He came to the airport to pick us up, walked us all the way to Jamaa el Fna to show the way, and when we were back at the riad in the night opened the rooftop deck for us to sit and relax no matter what time. Room was air-conditioned, which was a nice plus in summer.

The only downside we found was the location - it took us good 20 to 30 minutes to go back to the hotel from the center of medina, Jamaa el Fna. The riad was a bit hard to find, the roads around the riad were dark, and there were many local guys willing to guide you to the riad for small tip. The area was not un-safe, but we (both female) felt almost uncomfortable being talked to and followed by these guys every few steps.

All said, still think this is a pretty good choice because of the comfort, value for price and helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
wiesbaden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

charming, friendly, calm place in the very heart of the medina.
nice restaurants only a few meters away. mr. kerz and hs team are great hosts.

Stayed March 2008, traveled with family

Been to Riad La Maison Nomade? Share your experiences!