“You wouldn't know you were in the centre of the souq in this quiet hostel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Casa Del Sol, Marrakech, Morocco

Save Saved
You added La Casa Del Sol, Marrakech, Morocco to your Saves list
La Casa Del Sol, Marrakech, Morocco
La Casa Del Sol, Marrakech, Morocco
No 03 Derb Tijani/Mouassine, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #69 of 185 Specialty lodging in Marrakech
“You wouldn't know you were in the centre of the souq in this quiet hostel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here with two others in September. It was clean, quiet and the shared rooms were spacious with air conditioning. The only thing against it was it was a little too quiet and the bathroom was two floors down. Nice roof terrace and a free shisha every day. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

ok this is not a bad option for location and basic facilities. The 2 chaps who run the place are smokers so therefore the air is smokey and they listen to music and chat late into the night - they stop at around 11/12. The way the riad is structure is that you can hear all through the cental courtyard. I took the day trip on moroccian views which was not worth it - the berber family visit was good and the llunch great but the camel ride was a joke as was the waterfall hike. Its is too dry and the amt of rubbish all over unreal. I had the airport pick up which is a good idea. I came back to Marrakech a few days later and made my own way there with 2 young guys helping me with my luggage. Beware of these young guys that help you out they want money - they asked me for 100 DH each - get knotted I said - stood my ground and gave them 50DH to share. Threaten to call the police. Morocco is very safe for female solo travellers and I found the people charming and very friendly. I really fell in love with the people so would highly recommended it. I travelled alone a lot and only had wonderful experiences. The square at night time is a blast - don't stay in your room !! The air conditioning is not great in the rooms - bring ear plugs. Free internet use. I had the single bed and there was no curtain over the toilet area - they can improvie on this.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

I stayed at this Riad in August for a long weekend with a couple of girlfriends from NZ, and I 100% recommend it! We found the location to be perfect for our short stay as we were right in the hussle and bussle if the markets and only a 2min walk from Djemaa el Fna (the main square). As the location can be a bit tricky to find the first time I highly recommend you the airport transfer option (cost us 5euros each).

The Riad itself is lovely - tradional vibe, big rooms with aircon and unlimited shesha and mint tea. The hosts were brilliant, very friendly and went out of their way to help us. I also recommend the tours they offer, we did a day trip and it was an awesome experience with our own driver and guide.

Can't recommend this place enough, it truley made our trip!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

My boyfriend and I went with another couple last summer for our first trip to Morocco. We paid extra for the hotel to pick us up from the airport. Our plane was delayed and we waited in customs for a long time and the man picking us up was a bit rude although everything was out of our control and would not allow us to buy a water bottle or go to an ATM.

We were dropped off at Jemaa el-Fnna where the manager of the hotel picked us up and showed us the way through the souk to the hotel. If you want to be right in the middle of the souk, then this a great location. You are very close to the main square and the hotel itself is just a few feet from a main road in the souk, so it did not take too long for us to orient ourselves in the labyrinth that is the souk.

The manager sat us down in the lobby, gave us tea, and offered some advice and information about Marrakech. We stayed in a 4 person room in the riad with two sets of bunk beds. We were there in August (our mistake!) and it was unbelievably hot. There was a fan in the room but it was not enough relief. Some other people in the hostel ended up sleeping up on the roof.

The roof is a nice respite from the city, a good place for some cool air with a nice view of the minaret of the great mosque. Bathrooms were clean but sometimes too busy; could do with another bathroom. Lovely to have free mint tea and shisha and sit around with other guests. The manager was also nice about letting us use his computer when we were fretfully trying to rent a car for the next morning to go to Fez. He also kindly let us store our water bottles in the fridge in the kitchen.

Overall, a nice experience! If you want to be in the souk this is a good spot. Beware if you're going during the summer months with the heat!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

It's my first time to Morocco and particularly in Marrakech. Arrived first time in Jmaa el fna and got the hostel staff to pick me in front of a caffe on jmaa square. Wasn't far from that though but if this is your first time then better to have them pick you up. Stayed there for 3 nites on a single room.

Location wise is great, located on one alley on the souk, so its very near from the main square. A bit dark in the nite, but isn't really a problem since the riad located like ~20 metres from the main souk road.

Room was OK. Bed a little bit thin but was OK with a very friendly price for a solo traveler/backpacker.
Bathroom was also clean. One thing to complain is a bit noisy sound from downstair at nite (I stayed at 2nd floor) where other guest are having shisha or chatting around, but isn't really a big deal for me (I've tired roaming around Marrakech the whole day already so fall asleep in 2-3 minutes!!)

Staff is OK. Hassan was a very friendly guy, and will show you dos and donts and what to do in Marrakech. Nite staff was also Ok and will let you use their computer to check email/browse.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Hamburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

The name of this small, cosy riad says everything - when you enter it, you`ll face sun everywhere. It`s only minutes away from Djemaa el Fna and the rooms are colourful, sweet and very clean. In the middle of the house is a big table, where you can sit altogether and have free mint tea (oh, it`s delicious) and shisha. Ali, Lahcen and the girls treated us like family members and every time we came back from the chaotic but beautiful town Marrakesch, it felt like coming home. I`ve been in many hostels and riads, but it was the 1st time that somebody cooked me a special tea against my stomach problems in the middle of the night or invited the whole guests to domestic meal Tajine, which was superb. THANK YOU guys and hopefully see ya in a while ...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Casa del Sol is a great option in Marrakech. It's riad-style, so very open and I thought the four bed dorm was big compared to most hostels. The manager was very helpful and Ali, the night manager, is awesome and super friendly. I also thought the location was great, just a couple minutes walk from the main square. For the reviewer who said that it was spooky or whatever to walk back through the souks, welcome to Morocco. I didn't feel in the least bit intimidated or threatened, but it may be different for a female traveler.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to La Casa Del Sol, Marrakech, Morocco? Share your experiences!