“Unbelievable” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #114 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
New York City, New York
“Unbelievable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I don't know where to begin describing the kindness and overly-accommodating nature of all the employees at Riad Alamir. Yassin, our gracious host; Samira, ever-obliging kitchen staff, and especially Rashid- our night staff who was selfless, considerate and ready to manage our every need. They were like family to us by the end of our brief stay. Each did everything possible to make sure we had the best of what we needed. We had an early start to the desert.. they woke up even earlier to make us breakfast. We'd arrive back after an exhausting day.. they'd send us a complimentary tray of hot mint tea without us even asking.

Aside from this, the Riad is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to come back to enjoy the plunge pool in the Summer. The breakfasts are simple, traditional and delicious and often taken on the rooftop terrace with Josephine the pet tortoise. The riad is a pleasant 7min walk to the amazing Djemaa el Fna market, and I'm not sure I'd want it any closer as there is so much activity the moment you step out on the street.

My family is from London but I live in New York now. So I met my brother and sister-in-law in Marrakech for a brief and precious trip. It was so important to us that all ran smoothly and I can't express higher gratitude to Riad Alamir for making our stay so special. This is a high recommend.

Room Tip: There is a beautiful room with a canopy bed that opens onto the terrace. If the riad isn't busy...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

273 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Riad Alamir is a relaxing peaceful place to stay within the busy medina of Marrakech. The rooms are decorated in a Moroccan style which is very nice. The staff are helpful and friendly. The breakfast was lovely,served on the rooftop terrace, varying each morning, but always with fresh fruit, yogurts, bread and cakes. There is a tortoise called Josephine living in the garden of the riad. Very cute. I would defiantly come back here if I returned to marrakech.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Its been 1 1/2 years (April 2011) since I stayed here with 2 of my best travel buddies and I still think about how lucky we were to have found this Riad. We don't speak French (or Arabic), so it was nice to have a place where we could ask questions in English and trust the answers! Upon arriving we were given a short oreintation and some mint tea, and a map so that we could find our way back to the riad, once we left and came back a couple times it was pretty simple. The three of us shared a room, but there was plenty of space. The breakfast was great, and we asked to have dinner on the terrace one night, it was well worth the money! In addition to giving us great food suggestions in the Medina, the staff set up an excersion to the Ourika Valley to Setti Fatma and see the 7 waterfalls up close. In addition they set up an authentic hammam experience, which I highly recommend! I felt very safe there, and they were very accomodating, a great experience!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I would strongly recommend this riad on every aspect. Extremely Well decorated, this Riad is 5 min. walk from the Place Jamel el Fna and is located righ into the Medina. The Staff were very attentive to our need, espcially with our 4 year old daughter. Like every place in the Medina, be prepare to walk few minutes before findind the riad, but onece you know it, it's very easy. the pool is small but very cool and refreshing. If we go back to Marrakesh, this riad will surely be our home again! We strongly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I'm not really sure what to say beyond the basics. The Riad itself is beautifully decorated. The staff is extremely helpful. Location is a 10 minute walk to the main entrance of the Medina; 5 minute walk to another section. Breakfast is a great (non-american) meal. You're able to hear a beautiful call for prayer from within the riad. I would stay here again without any hesitation. The most helpful staff I have ever encountered. Also close to an ATM and a currency exchange place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here for 7 nights during July 2012 (probably too long for a visit to Marrakech though)

This was a fantastic Riad. The staff were great, especially Rashid who was extremely helpful, polite and would do his best to sort anything out for you.

The breakfasts were good, with fruit, yoghurt and cake each morning.

The Riad would be extremely difficult to find without prior knowledge so I would definatley go for the 15 Euro charge of getting the Riad to take you from the airport. I would suggest though, just booking it one way because you would be a lot cheaper just going out to the street and getting a taxi back to the airport.

Our bedroom was very good, no faults at all.

My only complaint though was with the owner (I think his name was Stefan but he introduced himself as the proprietor and this was the only time I met him). One afternoon he knocked on our bedroom door and asked to show his 'friends' around our room. I then felt I had to leave the room so he could do this. I thought this was totally unprofessional and rude! How would he like it if while he was staying at his 5 star hotel and the owner came and did the same to him!!

I have not let this affect the rating though because otherwise this place was fantastic.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed at Riad Alamir for 3 nights in June. With three adults sharing a triple room, there was still plenty of space. The room was nicely done and was cleaned every day. Air con worked well but found there was a good breeze if the windows were left open anyway. The bathroom was fine, although it was quite hard to control the temperature of the shower, and there was only a curtain instead of a door. Breakfast was great, different selection served every morning on the roof terrace. We also had dinner at the riad one night, it was very tasty and lovely service although you will pay over the odds considering how cheap food is in the medina. Plunge pool very refreshing and in a pretty central courtyard. The roof terrace could do with a bit of work, some of the umbrellas were broken and it could have been a bit tidier. However, it was a lovely place to have breakfast in the sun.

Staff at the riad were all very friendly and helpful. I would recommend paying for the airport transfer as i think we would have struggled to find the riad on our own - it's at the end of a dead-end alley.

Riad was only 5 minute walk from the main square and all the attractions/markets were within walking distance - couldn't really do much better.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Riad Alamir? Share your experiences!